[GB] POLK MM840 8" Subwoofer

Organise a group buy here. You need "approved seller" status to start a group buy topic.
club.liberty.asn.au branded gear will also be posted here.

[GB] POLK MM840 8" Subwoofer

Postby mihai » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Hey guys,

Group buy is for the Polk MM840 8" subwoofer.
This group buy is a follow on to the closed group buy that was run by Viper.

As he could not find a better price locally for multiple units, he went ahead and purchased at retail from his local supplier.

I personally do not need one of these subs, as most of you may know I have a decent setup in my car, however in saying that, I'm willing to help you guys get a good price on the above mentioned sub and also help with install (if in Melbourne).

The current retail price per unit from Freeway Car Audio in Dandenong is $150.

If we let the manager Steve know that we are after a confirmed 5 or 10 he said that he will be able to do better on the price. In order for this to happen, he needs to order in bulk from his supplier.

At the moment, when I spoke to him, he said that the price could be about $135-140 if ordered in bulk. Not much of a saving, but a saving none the less.

Full specs can be found here: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/mm/specs.php#single
And an overview of the MM840 can be found here: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/mm/subwoofers.php?s=overview-subs#mm840

[quote=Viper]Not too much info out there on the internets for reviewland, but word on the street and that these guys work great being underpowered.
Please do your own research before confirming.[/quote]

Close date: 23rd of June. This is so that I can inform Freeway Car Audio and get them shipped in before the 7th of July as I will be unavailable from the 7th - 22nd July. If everyone is willing to wait until I return, I can extend the GB until after this date so that we may get more numbers.

Requirements: Please post a reply below if you are interested and also advise me if you are willing to wait or not.

I will require full payment before placing the order with Freeway Car Audio as they need to order the units in. If something is to go wrong, or the GB is not going to go ahead, then I will refund the money to each of you.
At this stage, I'll require $150 from each interested party. And from that I will refund any discount we manage to achieve (or put it towards shipping cost).

Pickup is available from Keysborough Melbourne, or postage will be at buyers expense.
Anyone in Melbourne after installation can contact me. I can either install or point you in the right direction if I do not have the time.

Any questions please ask away and I will try and answer to the best of my knowledge. However in saying that, please be aware that my car does not and never had the McIntosh system. So any McIntosh specific questions I will answer as best I can however someone with a McIntosh may be able to answer better.

Buyers:
  • Tim_

Link to GB run by Viper: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17057
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Re: [GB] POLK MM840 8" Subwoofer

Postby Viper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Nice one.

Installed mine today along with some Dynamat. Will update with my thoughts and a guide over the weekend after some good 'testing'.
Fuker charged me $160.. but oh well ;p
Viper

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec B

Postby Viper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 am

Installed and played with it over the long break;

-I'm currently driving it on +4/+5 Bass (old setting for stock was +4/+5) (On +6 the sub bottoms out for drum/base but is nice on rock/metal)
-It is not as punchy as the stock woofer (rock/metal seems more subdued), obviously as it is under-driven
-However there is more bass overall and in hard drum+bass is really comes into it's own (really, really good).
-Bass is much clearer and blends in nicely with the stock tweaters/speakers
-Overall I'm quite happy with the result and would recommend the upgrade

Guide is in the Audio section.
Viper

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec B

Postby liberty_dc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi guys,

I gather that price is for a single voice coil speaker. Just for my info, is there any difference between the single and the dual voice coil or does the OEM amp only handle the single voice coil?

Good stuff Viper for providing your feedback and that you are happy with the upgrade.

DC
liberty_dc

Postby mihai » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:47 pm

liberty_dc wrote:Hi guys,

I gather that price is for a single voice coil speaker. Just for my info, is there any difference between the single and the dual voice coil or does the OEM amp only handle the single voice coil?

Good stuff Viper for providing your feedback and that you are happy with the upgrade.

DC

The price is for the single voice coil version. The dual voice coil would mean that the sub can be wired into either 2 or 8 ohm. From what I understand, the McIntosh amp is best paired to a 4ohm subwoofer. Therefore the only option for a direct replacement to give best results is the 4ohm single voice coil.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Postby liberty_dc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:34 pm

As long postage to WA does not cost heaps, I would be interested. Happy to wait.

Thanks

DC
liberty_dc

Postby mihai » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 pm

As a rough estimate. You'll be looking at about $25 postage to Perth WA.
mihai

Postby liberty_dc » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 pm

No problem Michael.
liberty_dc

Return to Group Buys and Club Liberty accessories