tbSTI - Rear mufflers FOUND

If you want to buy something hard to find, ask here.

tbSTI - Rear mufflers FOUND

Postby Clintski » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:27 am

Hi everyone chasing a pair of tbSTI rear mufflers.
We are the proud and very lucky owners of a beautiful tbSTI wagon. It has an Invidia Q300 full turbo back exhaust (plus an extra resonator I believe) which we want to tone down.
It has been tuned with the exhaust, VF52 and TMIC. I’ve been told by the tuner we can put stock STI mufflers on, but to keep the rest of the Invidia system and we wouldn’t need to retune it.

Welcome anyone's thoughts on this, or if they’ve done this and what to expect.
Thanks
Last edited by Clintski on Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clintski

Re: tbSTI - Rear mufflers

Postby Clintski » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:20 am

also wondering if anyone knows what the input diametre of these stock mufflers are?
Clintski

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:10 am

Two and a bit inches iirc.
It’s more the flange bolt hole spacing and the orientation of the outlets on the rear y pipe: is it a stock configuration y pipe or aftermarket, some of which eg avo, x force etc are stock muffler compatible, and others not eg empire, invidia.

Since you’re likely to need to mod the muffler inlets to suit the invidia y pipe, you could also option my08+ or my15+ (nicer tips) Sti mufflers with the large quad tips (tips, hangers and inlets require fabrication mods to fit lib wagons).

Tbsti mufflers are all oem fitment: 4 varieties, sedan and wagon, prefl straight cut tips, Postfl rolled tips.

With any exhaust mods on tunes, you want to let logging data inform you of the effect on the tune of changing exhaust back pressure. Big clues will be the knock learning and fuel trims: do they stay within acceptable range?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Clintski » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:30 pm

Thanks.

I have found some tbSTI sedan mufflers for sale which is promising, but they are not wagon mufflers and I believe there is a difference but I'm not 100% what all the differences are? (just tip length?)

I found this page for the differences between sedan and wagon mufflers: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=28679&hilit=sti+tips+length%23p321585
and there is a link in post#2 to another topic viewtopic.php?f=68&t=22363&p=321585&hilit=sti+tips+length#p321585
but every time I click on this it asks me to login and won't take me to the page!
(This seems to happen to me alot on liberty.asn.. I have tried Chrome / edge / home and work computers.. but still the same... login required and won't take me to the page I want which is a bit frustrating)

I am interested in the sedan ones for sale as I imagine tbSTI wagon mufflers might be hard to come by and I would like to get this done sooner rather than later. However they are also in a different state, so might not even be possible altogether. Will call some workshops during the week to see if they know of any suitable mufflers.
Clintski

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:29 am

That’s a current issue with the domain name, as per the site header try add the dash instead of the dot after liberty.

Sedan muffler tips will simply tuck below the bumper by around an inch.

It’s not a terrible look either.

Here’s my post from way back about wrx STi mufflers.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=19427

Or try:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=19427

I got the correct note using 3” single cat dump, 3” mild steel mid pipe with chambered mid muffler, wrx STi quad tip mufflers. No drone around town or freeway and a nice note.

The going rate for sag preFL sedan mufflers is around $350, rising incrementally for Postfl and or wagon types.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Wanted to Buy