Page 1 of 1

Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:35 pm
by Kris2517
Hey I was looking for a "06-'09 4Gen liberty wagon, in black. Under 80,000kms, with full service history. Preferably located near melbourne. Does anyone know if or where I should be looking?

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm
by bigBADbenny
Carlins get Subes fairly regularly. Talk to Jose :D

I'd also try one of those car finding services, e.g. via broker...

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm
by kiks
Buy mine.

165000km
Black wagon, 3.0RB.

New shocks, tyres, brakes, bushes, fluids.
Mint interior, exterior excellent with a few stone chips.
Engine doesnt drink oil. Google it.
Full service history from 14 year old pimple faced f__king losers at dealerships until I have owned it, and the two best subaru mechanics in the country look after it specifically so I dont have to like every other car I own, so I can write that precisely, so people who like logbooked cars can feel good about themselves having an unknown retard working on their car at a dealership signing off shit).

16.5k non neg. Tank of fuel to get you on your way back to melbourne and a service completed the day before so theres nothing to spend for months.

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:53 pm
by kiks
Sorry I should elaborate.

At 80,000km a clutch is half or more worn, shocks are f*cked, the car will be 4/5ths due for a major service on a 4cyl subaru, will be near the end of its 2nd set of tyres, every bush in the car will be ratshit and fucked, every hydraulic bush in it if its a 3.0 will be weeping, rack ends will be half fucked, rear wheel bearings at already 3/4 fucked, brake rotors will be somewhere around 20% life left for the average driver, its 2nd set of pads will be fucked or close to it.

And that holds true for the 50-80 subarus I looked for and at when looking for mine and since owning mine.

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:54 pm
by kiks
Oh also you'll be 4/5ths of the way to a $500 set of spark plugs to go with that $400 of timing belt and $350 of water pump, and $700 of associated labour and bullshit if you didnt play with meccano as a kid and learn to turn a spanner.... Or you got your shit serviced paying workshop rates so one day you could sell it with stamps in a book.

Luckily, subarus are still rock solid at 3-400000km and gen 4's are exceptionally well screwed together cars, so mileage for the most part means 3/5ths of fuck all to anyone except for people who had their parents driving a holden/ford built in australia, or anything european that falls apart at 70k's.

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:15 pm
by bigBADbenny
They're only just run in at 150K! :D

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:10 pm
by kiks
Excuse my above posts.

Ive had a right shit of a day and had to have a little vent :p

Welcome to the forum. There is plenty of fine cars that pop up for sale so keep an eye on that section and score a good buy from an enthusiast.

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:24 pm
by Zorro2109
Sorry you had a shit day, but I must say that I do love your rants :)

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:38 pm
by rooby
Agreed on the 80000 comments.

I bought mine at around 80000 and it needed major service (based on time, even though it hadn't done 100000 yet), tyres, cv boots, LCA bushes. It all starts to negate the good price I paid for the car pretty fast.

I also agree that full service history is worth squat.
It doesn't tell you how the person drove between services.
It doesn't tell you whether or not the apprentice did all the log booked services.
It doesn't tell you if the owner was actually good and did additional oil changes between the regular service interval.
Etc.

Full service history should be taken with a grain of salt.

Re: Liberty Wagon '06-'09

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:00 am
by kiks
rooby wrote:Agreed on the 80000 comments.

I bought mine at around 80000 and it needed major service (based on time, even though it hadn't done 100000 yet), tyres, cv boots, LCA bushes. It all starts to negate the good price I paid for the car pretty fast.

I also agree that full service history is worth squat.
It doesn't tell you how the person drove between services.
It doesn't tell you whether or not the apprentice did all the log booked services.
It doesn't tell you if the owner was actually good and did additional oil changes between the regular service interval.
Etc.

Full service history should be taken with a grain of salt.


Funny part is I reckon the service history on my car is 90% bullshit, the brake fluid that came out of the ABS lines was utterly fucked. The dealership had no idea how to bleed the brakes fully, or simply just did a shit job.
A pad wear indicator clip was bent inside the caliper.
The handbrake adjustment pre stroke was never ever changed, the dust boot had no sign of being removed, and the adjuster no sign of a tool ever touching it. 90% of subaru mechanics have no f*cking clue it exists in the hub of a gen4 (hidden nicely). 2 clicks and my car doesnt move for 20 seconds work with a flat blade screwdriver.

I look at the logbook and then know what I changed and when, and know what the fluids, bushes, boots, joints, etc looked like and its easy to tell some had been skipped, were not done and needed to be, or not even addressed.

When I got the car, there was just so many small things. Sloppy bushes everywhere, gearbox, gearstick, diff, cradle, lat links, control arms, etc etc etc. Old owner says he kept 42psi in the tyres for economy...Well on sydney roads 42 psi means your tyre provides ZERO suspension travel in sidewall, thus every bush gets flogged out in a much quicker time frame. Years of being driven about with nothing but subarus castrol stuff back then meant it was all fairly messy. Some ATF in the oil, then some dino oil and hard driving, then ELF and its all squeaky clean. Oil goes in and comes out clean 2-5000km later every time, able to do its job, instead of being a transport medium for carbon deposits.

So yeah, that logbook stuff...credibility shot.
What was fairly cool though was to know it had been driven properly, old owner was a proper hoon for an old dude, got up it plenty...Thus engine works perfect, was run in properly (plenty of engine braking, lots of load), always warmed before giving it a hiding, just good mechanical practice ya know...not being a dickhead, but still driving with some enthusiasm (and the gen 4's encourage that, being such a great chassis). He told me this on the phone and I booked a flight and picked it up next day knowing it would be right.