Page 1 of 1

WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:19 pm
by maj
Hi All,
My passenger side headlight assembly has gone brittle and broken the plastic that holds the metal clip for low beam globes. This is for MY05, pre-facelift.

If anyone has a spare willing to offer $100 for it. Don't care about the condition of the outside glass as I'll just be needing the plastic assembly.

Best contact via PM.
Cheers,
-Mic

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm
by matt_3.0rb
See this thread http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3540

A couple of us have had the same problem, and have found other ways of fixing it. Much cheaper than a headlight which is ridiculously expensive. :D

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:52 am
by maj
Yeah thus far I've just been placing the globe in, then applying a bit of super glue to hold it in place, it's a pain in the *** though since I go through H7 bulbs very quickly, no matter what brand.

My other thoughts were sourcing HID specific headlight assembly's for cheap from Japan then just buying my own valves and ballast. Not a huge priority though since the 200k service is imminent :(

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 pm
by matt_3.0rb
Yeah i was going through them quickly, and so this is the first car now that im not running lights during the day. I just use my fogs all the time, and just use the main lights at night. saves me a heap in bulbs.

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 am
by hks180
sorry guys ...one quick question .. you guys running aftermarket halogen bulbs ??

Leo

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 am
by matt_3.0rb
Im not, Im running standard H7 (i think) osram globes. whatever was in there originally. same rating etc. 2 went just after i bought the gen 4 and thats when the clip broke, so i figured the less often i had to change them, the better as i had a broken clip.
I just used to have my lights on permanently and would go through a set every couple of months in my gen 3.

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 am
by BigJon
[quote="matt_3.0rb. I just use my fogs all the time,[/quote]

Just as a matter of interest, are you aware that is on offence which carries loss of points? 3 if I recall correctly in Tas.

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:15 am
by hks180
as i was going to say ... some people have problem running over rated halogen bulb ... they go through them almost one a month ! :?

all i can say is when you install them try not to touch the bulb (glass part) and have something secure the bulb firmly ... otherwise everytime they move it can cause them .. BOOMM ..

Leo

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:07 am
by matt_3.0rb
BigJon wrote:Just as a matter of interest, are you aware that is on offence which carries loss of points? 3 if I recall correctly in Tas.


I know, :? but i find it safer to have at least some sort of light on, and find park lights ridiculous for any sort of vision to other drivers. Due to this i'd prefer the point and fine to the myriad of things that can and will happen when someone pulls out in front of me. We have an oversupply of inattentive idiots here.

I'm also of the opinion that this is one of those laws that wont be used until you are behaving like an idiot and they dont really have anything else to stop you for. And for those people who feel the need to have the brightest lights possible.
There was also discussion here in the local paper that its really referring to those 4wd owners with big driving/fog lights on bumpers etc rather than normal cars, unless police deem the foggies are too bright and causing a hazard.

Haha, appologies for the rant John, started typeing and more info came out of my fingers than i thought i had. haha

Re: WTB - Gen 4 Passenger headlight - any condition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:06 pm
by maj
Previous owner left the headlights on 100% of the time, but also would always take the car to Subaru to have bulbs changed etc.

I would have done the same but bulb blew when I was down the coast during xmas holidays year before last and needed replacements asap. I took the whole bumper apart to get to the lights since the side marker bulb had already blown and needed to get to that as well, so I had the headlight on the workbench when the metal clip assembly broke. I'd say the cause of this though was running the headlights 100%. Quite annoying since If I took the car to Subaru and the clip broke, I could have argued them to replace it for free even though the car is out of warranty as the headlights were only ever touched by Subaru.

Any aftermarket globes I run are kept the same as stock rated bulbs; I don't run uprated bulbs. I still suffer frequent blown bulbs.

Of course the best way to prolong bulb life is only to use them when absolutely needed; I run side markers/parking lights a lot of the time and when around dusk will turn on fog lamps first (It is an offence in the ACT also, but isn't really enforced), when I turn on my headlights I'll turn off the fog lamps to be courteous.

Another trick I found which has greatly helped is if you turn off your car with the headlights on, turn them off on the stalk too, because when you start your car again, the fluctuation in voltage could possibly harm their lifetime; my lights dim when starting the car, even though I have a brand new battery.

Justjap have JDM HID headlights in stock, wonder how much it would be for conversion, I'd imagine you'd need to supply your own ballast + valves.