[CLOSED] Phat Quad Tip Mufflers In Mild Steel

The new business name for PHAT GT
Forum rules
If you would like to make an order, have a question, or just need some advice, please contact Garage 88 by email shown below, rather than PM or asking in a topic.

sales@garage88.com.au

Re: [CLOSED] Phat Quad Tip Mufflers In Mild Steel

Postby julzzychan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:23 pm

teK-- wrote:These were WELL worth the wait! I am stoked as they look totally sweet and sound just the goods. For those who are yet to receive their mufflers please read the earlier threads for concise fitment instructions and hit us up if you have any more Qs!

haha no dramas Jim man. very easy to install. had them fitted perfectly after the cruz on sunday.

heres they sound clip after driven 60kms or so. hope it gives a rough idea how they sound on 2.5NAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlWl9SkyBIw

Cheers
Cheers,

Julz

Current - -> MY07 Liberty TBSTI Sedan Black #139/300 - Charcoal Rims, Phat Dump/ Mid pipe, K&N Filter

AWD - SOLD -> MY07 Liberty Obsidian Black[/b] BL5 EJ255 6SP Manual - STI'ed
| 6000K HID | LED I/O | STi Front/Rear Lip Spoilers | STI Braided Brake Lines | Silver 18" x 7.5 Enkei | Phat Dump Pipe | Centre - S/S Flex with 3" Resonator joint with 2.5" S/S Y split to M/S Hurricane Quad Mufflers | Blackened Grill | CF Stanza Eye Lid | Factory Sat-Nav | Resonator Delete | 50% Smoked Taillight | K2 Roof Finisher | Zero Side Strake Pair | DAMD Rear Extension pair | Cobb SF Intake Black | Grimspeed 3-port BCS | AVO Turbo Inlet + 265lph Fuel Pump | KidoTuned 189kW ATW |

1WR - SOLD -> MY06 Honda Black/Grey CBR600RR | Jardine RT-One Slip-On Pipe | ASV Lever | Diable Rosso II | Braided Brake Lines | Quick Shifter | PCIII
julzzychan
-stickered-

Car: 07 Liberty TBSTI #139/300

Postby wassell2381 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:12 pm

ahh awesome finally a test of these mufflers on the 2.5 NA. They sound alright!!
Current:
... TBC
Sold:
MY09 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
MY10 BMW 320d LCI
MY09 Impreza RS Hatch
MY04 Liberty Safety Pack Sedan
wassell2381
-stickered-

Car: Nil

Postby julzzychan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 pm

wassell2381 wrote:ahh awesome finally a test of these mufflers on the 2.5 NA. They sound alright!!

yeh Dan man! i do really surprised that they do really sound great in NAs haha...wait till driven around 500+ u will spot the major difference!
Cheers,

Julz

Current - -> MY07 Liberty TBSTI Sedan Black #139/300 - Charcoal Rims, Phat Dump/ Mid pipe, K&N Filter

| 6000K HID | LED I/O | STi Front/Rear Lip Spoilers | STI Braided Brake Lines | Silver 18" x 7.5 Enkei | Phat Dump Pipe | Centre - S/S Flex with 3" Resonator joint with 2.5" S/S Y split to M/S Hurricane Quad Mufflers | Blackened Grill | CF Stanza Eye Lid | Factory Sat-Nav | Resonator Delete | 50% Smoked Taillight | K2 Roof Finisher | Zero Side Strake Pair | DAMD Rear Extension pair | Cobb SF Intake Black | Grimspeed 3-port BCS | AVO Turbo Inlet + 265lph Fuel Pump | KidoTuned 189kW ATW |

1WR - SOLD -> MY06 Honda Black/Grey CBR600RR | Jardine RT-One Slip-On Pipe | ASV Lever | Diable Rosso II | Braided Brake Lines | Quick Shifter | PCIII
julzzychan
-stickered-

Postby Digital » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 pm

thanks for posting that julzzy, they sound good!

very tempting.......................................... :roll:

btw thanks for taking a pic of the back of my ride on the cruise! haha :yahoo:
MY08 2.5i - Satin Pearl White - Sat Nav [TEAM WHITE]
Digital
-stickered-

Car: MY08 2.5i Sedan - TEAM WHITE
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5767&start=0

Postby julzzychan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Digital wrote:thanks for posting that julzzy, they sound good!

very tempting.......................................... :roll:

btw thanks for taking a pic of the back of my ride on the cruise! haha :yahoo:

Oh haha...no worries bob! must catch up with u properly next time!

cheers
Cheers,

Julz

julzzychan
-stickered-

Postby Arith » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:40 pm

julzzychan wrote:heres they sound clip after driven 60kms or so. hope it gives a rough idea how they sound on 2.5NAs

Ahh, great work Julz! Thanks for that! I have updated the Liberty Exhaust Clips post with your entry! You're now the officially first 2.5i with a Phat Quad video clip! :D

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby julzzychan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Arith wrote:
julzzychan wrote:heres they sound clip after driven 60kms or so. hope it gives a rough idea how they sound on 2.5NAs

Ahh, great work Julz! Thanks for that! I have updated the Liberty Exhaust Clips post with your entry! You're now the officially first 2.5i with a Phat Quad video clip! :D

YI HAA!!!

thx Jim! Big applause to u too my man!

just a quick question...you know the pipe hole of phat's exhausts have a slightly larger diameter then the normal inlet pipes, and the gasket too. should you change the pipe as well so that the phat exhausts will be used more effectively? or there will be no difference but i dun think so...

cheers
Cheers,

Julz

julzzychan
-stickered-

Postby Arith » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:02 am

julzzychan wrote:You know the pipe hole of phat's exhausts have a slightly larger diameter then the normal inlet pipes, and the gasket too. should you change the pipe as well so that the phat exhausts will be used more effectively? or there will be no difference

The difference will be so small you won't even notice it. When you go larger pipe diameter for a N/A, you tend to lose a bit of low end power, but that's only when you go from the catback. When it's just mufflers only, it most likely won't make much of a difference I reckon, especially since the piping inside the muffler is 2.5" throughout. Your car should be responding a bit quicker now when you put your foot down.

If worse comes to worst, you could always trade with someone who has a 3.0 or a GT that's running HiTechs. HiTechs have small piping, as seen below in a side by side comparison:

Last edited by Arith on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby julzzychan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:03 am

Arith wrote:
julzzychan wrote:You know the pipe hole of phat's exhausts have a slightly larger diameter then the normal inlet pipes, and the gasket too. should you change the pipe as well so that the phat exhausts will be used more effectively? or there will be no difference

The difference will be so small you won't even notice it. When you go larger pipe diameter for a N/A, you tend to lose a bit of low end power, but that's only when you go from the catback. When it's just mufflers only, it most likely won't make much of a difference I reckon, especially since the piping inside the muffler is 2.5" throughout. Your car should be responding a bit quicker now when you put your foot down.

yeh i do realise that to be honest when i floor it a little. now i will change the pod filter and maybe lower it a little...will see

thx man!
Cheers,

Julz

julzzychan
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 pm

I've put almost 1,000Kms on them now, and they sound magnificent! A couple of times recently have had to either take off quickly from standstill or heeltoe 4>3 and the throttle response + sound is sweet :D.

I haven't actually noticed much movement in my Y-pipe even after a long drive; the pass. side constantly sits about 3mm from the inside edge of the bumper and moves 1mm further away when hot, *if* even that much at all. What have the other 2.5i drivers noticed, are our engines just not heating up the exhaust enough?
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby drndrn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:29 pm

I've found my mufflers sit about 3-5mm off the inside on each side. Tried adjusting it but had no success, still looks good, would just prefer if it hung a little higher and closer to the centre.

Is that how yours hang too Tek?
Diamond Grey 2.5i Heritage
drndrn
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty

Postby teK-- » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Hey Daz I tried repositioning the pass. side one about 10 times during the initial fitment but it kept hanging lower and closer to the inner edge than the other side which was almost perfect.

The next day I undid the bolts on both sides and firstly pushed the pass. one up and outwards hard whilst tightening the bolts. Secondly I pushed the driver's side hard downwards and inwards whilst tightening the bolts. They are now both even height but the driver's side sits about 8mm from the inside edge whilst the pass. side sits about 3mm. I'm gonna leave em as is and have put it down to different manufacturing tolerances of the Y-pipe in each car.
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby julzzychan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:58 pm

drndrn wrote:I've found my mufflers sit about 3-5mm off the inside on each side. Tried adjusting it but had no success, still looks good, would just prefer if it hung a little higher and closer to the centre.

Is that how yours hang too Tek?

this is not really good to do because the pipe size are pretty fixed under the car so if u want u have to bend the mufflers so that it will sit wherever ur desired position is. But i dun think that is practical and at the moment the mufflers sits around 3mm from the inside and pretty much in the middle so yeh.

what happens to ur, jim apart from that? no noise or weird sound at all? i drove 500ish yesterday in total so should spot the difference when u first fitted and now.

what about u Daz? anything wrong still?

regards
Cheers,

Julz

julzzychan
-stickered-

Postby julzzychan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:00 pm

teK-- wrote:Hey Daz I tried repositioning the pass. side one about 10 times during the initial fitment but it kept hanging lower and closer to the inner edge than the other side which was almost perfect.

The next day I undid the bolts on both sides and firstly pushed the pass. one up and outwards hard whilst tightening the bolts. Secondly I pushed the driver's side hard downwards and inwards whilst tightening the bolts. They are now both even height but the driver's side sits about 8mm from the inside edge whilst the pass. side sits about 3mm. I'm gonna leave em as is and have put it down to different manufacturing tolerances of the Y-pipe in each car.

yeh u can do that but it will look weird if bend too much!

u loving ur car now jim? u back home now? should catch up with u soon! theres some nice coffee shops in forest hill or whitehorse road. if ur keeen? :D
Cheers,

Julz

julzzychan
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Yo Julz no weird sounds or anything from the quads; really happy with them. I did mention in the other thread that I get an occasional rattle/buzzing sound inside the dash when cruising or at WOT which is from the new exhaust tones, but I can live with that :)

Coffee shops sound good I am pretty much flat stick for the next few months in the evenings due to work but most weekends I will have a spare couple of hours on Sat or Sun arvo. PM me your ph# we'll organise something soon!
teK--
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Garage 88