[CLOSED] Phat Performance Products - Quad Tip Mufflers

The new business name for PHAT GT
Forum rules
If you would like to make an order, have a question, or just need some advice, please contact Garage 88 by email shown below, rather than PM or asking in a topic.

sales@garage88.com.au

Postby smythie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:44 pm

beat me to it Gumbyy

That bar was only used on the prototype to prevent the tips moving about when he was welding the tips onto the can as the heat injected into the metal will cause things to move about. The final product will be welded up in a jig to prevent warping and to negate the need for the brace that is on the protoypes
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby drndrn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Ahhh right. Apologies for not reading carefully. :)

So, will the tips be all polsihed up? Or is that how they'll look. Because tbh the STi ones look mint IMO
Diamond Grey 2.5i Heritage
drndrn
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty

Postby gumbyy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:54 pm

I'll let smythie take the mic on this one 8)
:swoon:
gumbyy

Car: MY04 GT Sedan (Team Black)

Postby smythie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:00 pm

no idea on tip-polish (made up term). Wasn't mentioned at all yesterday from what I remember. Arith might have to talk to Phat about whether it can be done.

Still, even if it isn't on the finished product, I doubt you wouldn't be able to give your kid something like brasso/silvo and let them loose on the (cold) tips :D
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Postby Arith » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:55 pm

drndrn wrote:So, will the tips be all polsihed up? Or is that how they'll look. Because tbh the STi ones look mint IMO

I believe so. You can't be using the best materials for the prototype because if it doesn't fit or you have to start over, it's a waste of good material. So you only use the low end stuff for fitting and testing, and then use the more prettier stuff for the final product. It will be polished stainless steel which will most likely include the tips.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby cpitts » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:08 pm

senator wrote:
cpitts wrote:
I find it a little humorous that Phat isn't on here selling them tho. Why's that?

i can't speak for phat.... but i think there a far too many keyboard mechanics on here, that just waste time and get threads off track

back on the topic……

Nope, I'm sure that'd be Phats response to any comment. :)

As I said, this product seems very good and well thought out. Just surprised to not see him actively on here selling it. It used to be hard to keep him off here spruking gear! That's why I'm wondering why he's not doing the sales pitch here?

Don't have issues with him or this bit he's selling, just wondering why he's not fronting it, clearly he's got some buy in here.

Anyway, not wanting to turn this into what happened with the dump pipe thing. I'm sure the sale will be a boom and he'll clear out all the stock he imports. :good:
cpitts

Postby smythie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:54 pm

*sigh*
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Postby Arith » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:09 pm

loweart wrote:This may be a silly question, but I assume that PHAT can provide this setup without the exhaust tips for those who may want to fit their own style of tips ?

Yup. I checked with Phat and you can get the mufflers sans the tips. However keep in mind the cost will remain the same with or without tips.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby loweart » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:11 pm

smythie wrote:I've now removed my write up from the HiTech thread

You 3 litre boys will be in heaven with Phat's setup. Man did it sound good. My fuel economy would be shot if I got a set.

Very deep down low with the throttle open any further than cruising. Lovely, lovely. Eggs you on a bit. OK, Ok, a LOT. Had me misbehaving most of the 5 or 10 minutes I had them on the car

Once you get it spinning above about 5500rpm with WOT (at least with the resonator removed) the exhaust note smooths out and the induction roar takes over.

If you have gotten accustomed to the smooth quiet cabin of the 3 litre (as I have) it may be a little loud for you (it's a good deal louder inside than outside btw - from outside it's hardly louder than stock)

For those who are looking for a top exhaust tune when cruising around town without a drone cruising down the highway (at least with the 6 speed) and aren't as precious as I am regarding a quiet cabin, this is an ace option.

Better than the Hi-Techs soundwise? Yeah I think so

Further to senator's comments, I reckon these mufflers would not produce a single bit of back pressure. Phat reckons they were designed to operate as a single muffler (rather than as a pair as we have) and easily cope with the 6.0/6.2 Chev V8's in the commodores.

A 2.5" inlet to the muffler followed by a smooth Y into 2.5" duals through the length of the muffler. It is a very nice piece of muffler design IMO

Man, I shouldn't have done that yesterday.

Sign me up for a set too :D :oops: :?

Hey Smythie,

I realise it difficult to "quantify" but how LOUD is "a good deal louder inside" ?

I have a 3.0R auto and as you can imagine during normal suburban driving she's mainly going to be between 1500 - 2000 rpm when travelling at between 50 to 60 kph. I know it's hard to describe, but would like to know if at all possible if it's going to be too loud for what I want. I have listened to the sound clips and think the note ( growl ) is what I want but bit hard to tell how LOUD it would be under normal driving by listening to the video footage that I turned Up on my computer.

I must be getting too old or been so spoilt by the 3.0R as I had a pair of Supercat mufflers in my previous 2.5i that I somehow "liked".....

Cheers,
Lok
Last edited by loweart on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAST cars and slow women

Silver MY03 Subaru Impreza RS
HKS Panel Filter | Clarion NX502a | Kenwood XR-4S multi channel D class amp | Morel & Eclipse speakers | Yokohama C Drive
loweart
-stickered-

Car: MY03 Impreza RS ( Team Silver )

Postby CJ1177 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 pm

cpitts

He doesn't need to sell the mufflers they sell them self's

Now i will go & bite my tongue off before i say some thing :x
MY05 GT Wagon, Atalantic Blue [Team Tein] [Club Two Zero]

CJ's Wagon Pics
CJ1177

Car: MY05 GT 5MT

Postby loweart » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 pm

Arith wrote:
loweart wrote:This may be a silly question, but I assume that PHAT can provide this setup without the exhaust tips for those who may want to fit their own style of tips ?

Yup. I checked with Phat and you can get the mufflers sans the tips. However keep in mind the cost will remain the same with or without tips.
Thanks for confirming that for me !
FAST cars and slow women

HKS Panel Filter | Clarion NX502a | Kenwood XR-4S multi channel D class amp | Morel & Eclipse speakers | Yokohama C Drive
loweart
-stickered-

Postby CJ1177 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:18 pm

LI81TY wrote:Chris u should get these...

I guess i should make this official Yes I'm in :)
MY05 GT Wagon, Atalantic Blue [Team Tein] [Club Two Zero]

CJ's Wagon Pics
CJ1177

Car: MY05 GT 5MT

Postby ez30rb » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Put me down for PHAT's Muffler :!:
ez30rb

Car: 3.0RB
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21069

Postby smythie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:50 pm

loweart wrote:Hey Smythie,

I realise it difficult to "quantify" but how LOUD is "a good deal louder inside" ?

I have a 3.0R auto and as you can imagine during normal suburban driving she's mainly going to be between 1500 - 2000 rpm when travelling at between 50 to 60 kph. I know it's hard to describe, but would like to know if at all possible if it's going to be too loud for what I want. I have listened to the sound clips and think the note ( growl ) is what I want but bit hard to tell how LOUD it would be under normal driving by listening to the video footage that I turned Up on my computer.

I must be getting too old or been so spoilt by the 3.0R as I had a pair of Supercat mufflers in my previous 2.5i that I somehow "liked".....

Cheers,
Lok

Defining someone else's "too loud" is sorta out of my league I'm sorry.

As for "good deal louder", the cabin is basically silent normally. With these mufflers, there is no doubt whatsoever that you have done something to the car - I guess maybe 2 or 3 times as loud as wot at high revs with the resonator removed, but instead of coming from the bonnet, it's coming from the back seats

Some more points:
- Inside the cabin and up to about 4000rpm they can be quite deep and that long wavelength sound makes its way into the cabin. You don't need much throttle opening either.

- the sound was egging me on and I wasn't driving quite as normally as I would have liked - holding shorter gears longer than usual and using more throttle

- no louder than HiTechs or K2 Gear

We really should have taken a clip from inside the car

Hope that is some sort of help for you
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Postby loweart » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:01 pm

I really appreciate it and understand it's a difficult "ask" of anyone to try and describe "how loud" or "too loud" as it's quite subjective.

Thanks for your additional thoughts/comments Smythie, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Lok
FAST cars and slow women

loweart
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Garage 88