Dump pipes for 07 Onwards

Dump pipes for 07 Onwards

Postby T-REXX » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:54 am

Hey Guys

I have been getting asked alot lately for Dump pipes for the Libs..

I have spoken to the mob who make the Hypertec ones for me and they will be able to do the Liberty ones to.

These will be alot different to the other ones out on the market.

Made from 304 Stainless Steel
Suit Aus Spec Liberty 07 onwards for Manual and Autos
METAL CAT that is CARB and OBDII and EMMISIONS LEGAL. 200 CEL or 100 CEL.
OPEN BELL MOUTH with Splitter from MSR
the reason we have gone to the open mouth is to enable to have a splitter put into it. Other Dump pipes out there only have either a Split dump pipe and a splitter inside the dump pipe. This does not really do much for performance of the turbo. Gases will not flow as cleanly, as if there was a splitter that matches the turbo.

For more information please go to http://www.msengineering.com.au/exhaustsystems.html

Micheal has done the testing. Proven the results, and one of the best tuners in the game for subarus.

Each splitter will extrude from the dump pipe into the rear turbo housing. blocking off the gases from entering the other path.

The splitter position and length is all very important to get the most from the system. T and must be lengthened to suit the Vf turbo. The waste gate only opens to 30 odd deg, most of the air flow from this flows directly into the path of the main flow, this reduces gas flow, creates turbulence and increases the exhaust pressure between the exhaust valves and turbo. Hold them apart for longer reduces the size available for the main flow to expand, so it is important that the splitter be as short as possible once inside the collector, but it must be a neat fit in the back of the turbo giving an optimum seal.

The diameter and length of the taper on the collector also plays a role as to how and where maximum torque is delivered. Also having a huge bearing on torque band is pipe direction leading into the rear muffler, with an angled rear muffler torque is lost through the mid RPM, but with some small gains made to top end.

Other Dump pipes out there are proven to work over a stock down pipe but not against any others.. This down pipe tecnique has been proven against every down pipe available. Bar the AVO Turbos (as they have a splitter in them already) these Splitter Down pipes imprive Torque, Power and drivability..

Price for these dump pipes will be around $790-$890 with a CAT in the down pipe

Troy

This picture is of a splitter only.. not the new down pipe.. the down pipes will be made to suit overseas then sent to MS Engineering for splitter ot be put in place.. depending on what turbo in on peoples car will determine what Splitter they will get
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Re: Dump pipes for 07 Onwards

Postby coyote » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:13 am

T-REXX wrote:The waste gate only opens to 30 odd deg, most of the air flow from this flows directly into the path of the main flow

Correct, but it faces the other way on a VF46.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby T-REXX » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:18 am

Yes but still creates turbulence.... Although the write up is mainly on WRXs the principal is still the same with a Liberty setup

I will be doing mine hopefully January with results before and after
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Postby cpitts » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:38 am

This sounds like a conversation that's been on here previously. Good too see someone's looking at this from a true performance perspective.

I'd like to put my hand up for one of these dumps for MY07 Lib GT Spec B 6MT with the stock turbo (VF). Pending your fitment testing, dyno results on stock turbo and availability. :-)

Are there any issues with steering knuckle clearance, etc like seen in some other models or is that TBA pending arrival?

Also, I'm looking to bolt mine up to the standard mid section, so is there some form of adapter available or will it be a quick trip to the local exhaust shop to do a cut/shut on my mid pipe?

Will be very interested to see before/after dyno plots w/o any tune and then with tune (if that's the way you're heading).

PS: That's a pretty good price for a dump with that cat in it and the MSR work done on it!
cpitts

Postby T-REXX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 am

Hi Craig, with the steering knuckle im going to go with the same head design as the Hypertec WRX ones. Only reason is they were designed specially for the Steering knuckle porblem and obviously to give the best Air Flow.

This dump will bolt Directly upto the stock Mid section. so no cutting or welding.
Cat will be Welded in place also
Flanges will be thicker then others on the market due to sever warping that can happen over time.
MSR will do his magic and ill have it test on my car first:)
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Postby dwayne » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:53 am

I'll put my hand up as interested too.

How firm is that January date for your testing, and after that availability ? - I'm looking to get mine done in the next 6 - 8 weeks.....

Thanks

Dwayne
dwayne

Car: MY07 OBP 6MT GTBSTi

Postby T-REXX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:51 am

not firm... but that is what i have been given from supplier

at worst mid Feb
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Postby cpitts » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:34 pm

T-REXX wrote:This dump will bolt Directly upto the stock Mid section. so no cutting or welding.

What diameter is the pipe before the cat, after the cat and at the flange? 3"?
cpitts

Postby T-REXX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:57 pm

the dump its self will be 3... as for the flange itllhave to mate up with the Stock one so it will be arond 2.5 at the very end.. If down the track u want to change to the 3 inch mid section, ull need to cut off around 5 cm of the dump and put a new flange on it to make it 3 inch all the way through
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Postby overl0ad » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:50 pm

sholdn't matter as long as the mounting holes match up.

i ahve my 3" catback bolted to the OEM down pipe. no issues.

the reverse should be true. and why would any1 want to chop up a perfectly good after market down pipe? i'd rather sacrifice the OEM part.
tangcla wrote:I didn't have to. I have girly Asian hands :lol:
overl0ad

Car: MY07 GTB 6MT *sold*

Postby GTSPECB STI » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:56 pm

agree with overload 100% and besides whats the point of just doing the dump pipe alone? When you see how restrictive the centre pipe is you will figure it out pretty quickly. 3" to the rear dif for the win.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby T-REXX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:09 pm

There is one reaon for the dump pipe. For it flow the best u can't just have it to from 3 inches to 2.25 inches. Well u can butt flow will be disturbed and performance will be Down. Taper it down and u will get the best possible flow. But if u later want to put a 3 inch mid section in u would have a bottle neck where mid and dump meet. It's just as east to cut off 3 or 4 cn and start from there I can get them made 3 inches all the way but it not going to give the best possible flow
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Postby T-REXX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Also I am doing a mid section for the libertys but that won't be till the new year. To even start that is a costly project. Also have rear diff back on the cards with twin 2.5 sections. Sound will be legal under 90 db
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Postby cpitts » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:08 pm

For me it all comes back to how many kW your turbo will be pushing.

It's been shown before today that you can max the OEM turbo out on a Lib GT with just a good dump pipe and that's it. I imagine an open set of muffs and a good dump and some open front pipework and you'd have a very good spool time and a setup that'll support even a 400hp turbo pretty damn nicely. Not sure about an AVO450 though, you'd prolly wanna do the mid section as well in 3" all the way to the rear muffler splitter.

In a really good setup, 3" mid section then split the 3" down to the std muff size (twin 2"s split from the single 3" would be ideal) then into the standard cans (just gutted) would be a superb stealth and high flowing setup. (personal ramblings)
cpitts

Postby T-REXX » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi Guys

well ill have the first SAMPLE Tuesday... itll be test fitting only..

and another little bonus.. i will be doing the Head of dump pipe in CAST...

This will improve FLOW more then the conventional heads as there is no welds
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Next

Return to PRO-Speed Racing