Re: Mishimoto TMIC for Liberty

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Time to go front mount :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Mosti » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:55 pm

MisterX wrote:Oh that annoying! :( Just bought a Phat GT dump pipe yesterday, I did ask them about intercoolers but they said they only make custom ones.
Thanks for the response guys I appreciate it.

AVO's unit looks fairly well priced, not sure how they perform compared to the other units on the market though.
Mosti
formerly "b4bullet"

Car: TB STi Wagon #43

Postby agan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:37 am

Awww damnit..Was just reading through this thread after Matt suggested looking at Mishimoto's TMIC.

Guess its either AVO (almost similar pricing to Mishimoto) or PW (pricier) - though not sure how they perform?
MY08 GT Spec.B Diamond Grey Sedan
agan

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18369

Postby shav » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:06 am

agan wrote:Awww damnit..Was just reading through this thread after Matt suggested looking at Mishimoto's TMIC.

Guess its either AVO (almost similar pricing to Mishimoto) or PW (pricier) - though not sure how they perform?

Matt will suggest PW and they are excellent with the bigger shroud they come with. But it comes down to how deep your pockets are. I went with the Mishimoto due to the excellent group buy we had a few months back. It was hard to pass up. As for flow, the Mishi's flow pretty well and are supposedly good for 400kw I read.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:02 pm

shav wrote:...and are supposedly good for 400kw I read.

Absolutely not a chance in the world.

If someone did manage 400kw on one of these, and then switched it to a proper intercooler - they'd make 500kw straight after, and do it much safer.

On a stockish lib these are fine, but a 400kw lib is very different to a stock lib.

Honestly, the PW is the only TMIC you should be spending money on. Yes, it's more expensive, but at least it gets real results.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby shav » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:26 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:
shav wrote:...and are supposedly good for 400kw I read.

Absolutely not a chance in the world.

If someone did manage 400kw on one of these, and then switched it to a proper intercooler - they'd make 500kw straight after, and do it much safer.

On a stockish lib these are fine, but a 400kw lib is very different to a stock lib.

Honestly, the PW is the only TMIC you should be spending money on. Yes, it's more expensive, but at least it gets real results.

Fair enough. Happy to be corrected. Good to know in case anyone tried to reach those targets.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Also depends on whether you want to keep your engine cover or not. That was the BIG plus for me with the Mishimoto. The cover still fits over the Mishimoto, not the PW. I know lots of people don't care either way. But I want to keep my engine cover - just to stay stealthy, not because of any small differences in air flow.

And back when the Mishimoto was available for Au$824 shipped (just a normal price, not the GroupBuy) it was a great deal compared to the ~Au$1200 for the PW shipped. The Mishimoto is an improvement over stock - but yeah, the core is not big enough for anyone making saerious power.
And now thanks to the exchange rate the Mishimoto is basically the same price as the PW (probably more once overseas shipping is added).
So the only reason to buy a Mishimoto over a PW would be if you *really* wanted to keep your engine cover.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby agan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:58 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Also depends on whether you want to keep your engine cover or not. That was the BIG plus for me with the Mishimoto. The cover still fits over the Mishimoto, not the PW. I know lots of people don't care either way. But I want to keep my engine cover - just to stay stealthy, not because of any small differences in air flow.

And back when the Mishimoto was available for Au$824 shipped (just a normal price, not the GroupBuy) it was a great deal compared to the ~Au$1200 for the PW shipped. The Mishimoto is an improvement over stock - but yeah, the core is not big enough for anyone making saerious power.
And now thanks to the exchange rate the Mishimoto is basically the same price as the PW (probably more once overseas shipping is added).
So the only reason to buy a Mishimoto over a PW would be if you *really* wanted to keep your engine cover.

Thanks Tom and Shav. Yeah like Shav I am not looking for crazy power and certainly not the 400kw mark. And you are right, PW and Mishi isn't that different in pricing at the moment, and I'd prefer to keep my car looking stock if possible, i.e. with the engine cover. Which, given the current price is not much of a point..or change the engine cover? :diablo: but that would be pointless spending not that I have not done that on this car LOL.

Watching the forums to see what other people are doing.
MY08 GT Spec.B Diamond Grey Sedan
agan

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18369

Postby MisterX » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:07 am

I don't want to modify my engine cover either. I had a Hyperflow cooler on my first 07 liberty gtb that had the cover was modified, I always thought it looked terrible. Found this Perrin TMIC on Tuspeed but It lacks any real information. Need to look through the forums and see if anyone else has fitted one. http://www.tuspeed.com/perrin-top-mount ... 10001.html and also http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/shop ... xt-09.html
MisterX

Car: 07 Liberty Tuned by STI

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:52 pm

A local GTB owner (also named Tim) has the Perrin in black, that he bought 2nd hand. I always forget his Forum Username, so let me know if you want to send him a msg and I'll find it. We fitted it a few months ago, and it was a straight fit. He just bought a Mishimoto throttle body hose separately, since his one didn't come with one. But you could keep the hose stock, the Mishimoto TMIC just came with one included.

Fitmen isn't quite as good as Mishimoto (in terms of bolt holes lining up), but we managed without any major issues. The engine cover definitely still fits over it.
Not much to report on otherwise. Holds boost well from the logging we did, and probably reduces intake temps but we didn't really do a direct comparison.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby MisterX » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks Tom, that would be great if you could.I Was just looking on the legacy forum and it looked like some of them had to trim their cover a little to get it to fit tho.
MisterX

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:49 pm

MisterX wrote:Thanks Tom, that would be great if you could.I Was just looking on the legacy forum and it looked like some of them had to trim their cover a little to get it to fit tho.

Tim is sinno91 on here. And now that you mention it, he did say he trimmed his engine cover. He's running his cover, but you can check with him how much it needed trimming.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby sinno91 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi mate, Tim here. I have the Perrin Top mount fitted to my GT, It actually fits without having to modify the Engine cover although I did trim mine a little bit, only because beforehand it would sit on my 3 Port Boost solenoid (wrong bracket was given to me to install it) and trimming it at the back changed the angle of the cover so it didn't put any pressure on the tubing/fittings. So basically it's a direct fit without any modification, make sure you get the throttle body hose on the correct angle though as it can make it a pain in ass to line up the bolts on your turbo. Message me if you want any photos.
sinno91

Car: Subaru Liberty MY08 GT-B

Postby MisterX » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks. Pm sent :) .
I received an email response from ProSpeed Racing this morning saying that they may have more Mishimoto's in stock in a couple of weeks, but are unable to supply a price at this point in time. So I think I will wait til they have them in before I make a decision on which one to buy.
MisterX

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:42 am

Perrin should have a bigger core.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

PreviousNext

Return to PRO-Speed Racing