Mishimoto TMIC for Liberty

Re: Mishimoto TMIC for Liberty

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Shaheenis wrote:
tom_kauf wrote:Bought one of these (without BOV) :D

Nice work Tom, you won't be disappointed. If you plan on installing it yourself let me know when you do it, I will give you some tips. Also give Matt a heads up so he can update your tune to make the most of it.

Yeah it looks like it's not too hard to install. So I'll definitely do it myself :).
A few tips would be great, thanks.

We'll see how long it takes to arrive - I'm not in a hurry because I think I'll get my Dump pipe installed and tuned first. My XForce dump pipe and Cat are on their way back from Sydney after getting ceramic coated. So they'll go on first. But I'll let Matt know soon :).
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:43 am

Wow, it arrived quickly! Thanks PRO-Speed Racing - can't wait to fit it :D .

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Shaheenis » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:23 am

Nice work Tom. Good purchase.

I hope Troy doesn't mind me posting some installation steps/tips here but if so feel free to remove and I can post elsewhere.

I played around with this for a while and found the steps below to be the simplest way to install to make sure everything aligns first time etc. One thing to note, when fitting the TMIC (as with stock one) just keep an eye on TMIC flange contact with turbo flange. It comes down at an angle during install and although you can't really avoid contact you want to minimise any pressure which could damage the surface so just keep an eye on this whilst installing. I found that smearing the surface with a bit of rubber friendly grease worked well.

Tools:
• 12mm socket, small extension and socket wrench.
• Pliers (for BOV hose)
• Long screwdriver (the longer the better)
• Small spotlight/LED/penlight

Steps and Tips:
1. Ensure the turbo flange o-ring is seated correctly, it should be pressed in and not easily come out.
2. Use some silicon or rubber grease sparingly on turbo flange outer o-ring surface to avoid the o-ring grabbing and pulling out during installation. This will also improve seal.
3. Take note of exact Throttle Body hose position before removing the old one. Taking a photo with your phone is recommended for later reference.
4. Fit the TB hose first and clamp down TB end. Long screwdriver and torch needed here.
5. A) Remove TMIC support bracket to make install easier.
B) If you leave the bracket in place you can scratch the TMIC during fitting. If you do this method, put some duct tape of similar temporarily on the edge that is likely to contact which can be removed after install.
6. Install TMIC on an angle tilting down towards TB direction. At this stage the rear of TMIC will foul with firewall but don’t worry.
7. Insert TMIC outlet into hose whilst holding TMIC on an angle ensuring the hose goes all the way as far as it can and tighten clamp while holding in position. Push TMIC forward and down to clear the firewall and it should sit there.
8. Re-install bracket to manifold but leave bolts a bit loose.
9. Check with spotlight that rubber o-ring is still in place.
10. Tighten down turbo flange bolts first being careful to evenly distribute torque as you go to ensure optimal seating.
11. Fit rear bracket to TMIC bolt before tightening bolts to manifold but don’t tighten all the way. Tighten down manifold bracket bolts followed by rear bolt.
12. Fit BOV return hose and vacuum hose.
13. Check all bolts for tightness and hose connections ensuring hose connections are covering flanges as much as possible with ideally 3-5mm of visible hose past the hose clamp.
14. Seek advice from tuner before driving hard with this modification.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Thank you Tim, awesome instructions! :D

Mishimoto have quite a few video guides on their website, but not for this TMIC. I think I saw a PDF guide, but I'll have to check if that's for this one. Your install guide and tips will definitely be the best, since they're real-world & first-hand.

I will get started on this later today. Do you think it needs a re-tune for it? My car is stock otherwise (Dump Pipe and cat will go on next week - got delayed). I asked Matt as well, just waiting for a reply.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:49 pm

I got the answer regarding re-tune - no changes required :)
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Fitted the TMIC earlier today :D. Was fiddly but not hard - just getting the Throttle Body hose on and clamps tightened was pretty time consuming. The guide helped though, thank you.

Definitely no increase in noise, which I like for my stealthy setup.

I will get some brackets welded on to fit the rear engine cover clips, and one for the Hose Clip on the turbo side. I don't think it's strictly necessary, but I'd like to have them.

EDIT: Performance wise, it's hard to know the difference - especially because I drove at night. It felt quick, but tonight was the first night in months where its been under 30deg (28deg on the Dash) - so tonight is much cooler than it has been for a long time. But one thing my car never done before on a launch in the whole time I've owned it, is throw the sunroof sliding cover back almost all the way (that's about 1m on a wagon sunroof) 8). On every single lauch I've ever done (and I've done quite a few), it would consistently throw the sunroof sliding cover back about 10cm. Both times I launched the car tonight, that sliding cover was almost thrown fully back.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby shav » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:08 am

Nice work Tom. No doubt you would benefit even further with a retune. Good to know the TMIC will go on and still drive nicely without a retune. Were you testing the car out in S#? Did the car throw any fault codes or anything?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:11 pm

shav wrote:Nice work Tom. No doubt you would benefit even further with a retune. Good to know the TMIC will go on and still drive nicely without a retune. Were you testing the car out in S#? Did the car throw any fault codes or anything?

Sorry Shav, I didn't see your post :? . Matt (KiDo) said it didn't require a retune. But I assume a fine-tune will see gains. Then again, I already had a tune for 98 (but mechanically stock). I drove in all modes but mainly S#. No fault codes came up. It makes sense because there aren't really any major changes, just a little extra flow/cooling. Unlike the exhaust side, where changes can affect the O2 sensor (emissions).

I did get a dump pipe and high-flow cat installed the other day (after the TMIC was put on). So I put the tune on for that shortly after, so that made a big difference. Spools up much quicker! And a definite increase in power. There is no noise increase inside the car with the windows closed, but a definite wooshing spool-up noise that wasn't there before (which can be heard with windows down). No extra noise while cruising though, which I like (that's what I like about the thicker mild-steel dump pipes).
Last edited by tom_kauf on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby shav » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:27 pm

tom_kauf wrote:
shav wrote:Nice work Tom. No doubt you would benefit even further with a retune. Good to know the TMIC will go on and still drive nicely without a retdifference Were you testing the car out in S#? Did the car throw any fault codes or anything?

Sorry Shav, I didn't see your post :? . Matt (KiDo) said it didn't require a retune. But I assume a fine-tune will see gains. Then again, I already had a tune for 98 (but mechanically stock). I drove in all modes but mainly S#. No fault codes came up. It makes sense because there aren't really any major changes, just a little extra flow/cooling. Unlike the exhaust side, where changes can affect the O2 sensor (emissions).

I did get a dump pipe and high-flow cat installed the other day (after the TMIC was put on). So I put the tune on for that shortly after, so that made a big difference. Spools up much quicker! And a definite increase in power. There is no noise increase inside the car with the windows closed, but a definite wooshing spool-up noise that wasn't there before (which can be heard with windows down).

Gotta love that Tom. Good to hear the TMIC isnt tune dependent. Gives me hope.

Yes the dump and high flow make a massive difference to power and torque I have noticed and yeah can hear the turbo is a little more audible.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby peadya100 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:46 pm

Didn't Matt tune your car shav? I thought he gave free re-tunes when you made mods.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby shav » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:49 pm

peadya100 wrote:Didn't Matt tune your car shav? I thought he gave free re-tunes when you made mods.

Yes he did and yes he does free retunes.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby peadya100 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:30 am

In that case I'd be getting a retune if you get one... they do sweet FA for power without a tune. :good:
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby shav » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:33 am

peadya100 wrote:In that case I'd be getting a retune if you get one... they do sweet FA for power without a tune. :good:

Yeah thats the intention. Question is do I buy one now with Matt coming in the next month or so or wait
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Willc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 am

Does anyone know if these fit under the TBSTi factory engine cover and STI strut brace?
Willc

Car: Subaru Liberty B4

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:56 am

Willc wrote:Does anyone know if these fit under the TBSTi factory engine cover and STI strut brace?

Yes
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

PreviousNext

Return to PRO-Speed Racing