Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Re: Mishimoto TMIC for Liberty

Postby Hollows » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Hey mate,
does this fit under the engine cover of an 08' tb STI?
Hollows

Car: 08' Liberty GT Spec. B STI Wagon

Postby T-REXX » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:53 am

Yes it does.
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Postby Hollows » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:46 am

Awesome, thanks mate.
Hollows

Car: 08' Liberty GT Spec. B STI Wagon

Postby HardwareBoB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:37 am

Your initial link is busted, here's the correct one:
http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/produc ... ilver.html
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Shaheenis » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:23 am

Sorry if this has already been answered but for all of us that have the exact same BOV already, can it be purchased without? If so this goes to the top of my list :).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby T-REXX » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Yes we do them with out the BOV :)
Blouch RBK
Bullet HD
COBB Tuning
ZeroSports

T-REXX

Postby Shaheenis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:54 pm

I just found my christmas present. Will be a nice match for the VF52. PM sent.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby alexeiwoody » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Bezzza wrote:
legacydan wrote:So what advantages does this have over other ones like the Process West for example? Seems to be more less the same price for just a solid oem replacement size cooler

The PW does requires a slight bit of modifying to fit properly and excessive curves on the silicone piping can't be optimal IMO. Also very OEM styled for those who like a sleeper look with added performance benefits.
This is coming from a PW owner to btw :lol:

Should sell like hotcakes i reckon Troy.

Both TMIC have their place in the market. One is more expensive and takes a little more time to fit (didn't need to modify anything on mine?)

The curves on the silicone shouldn't worry anyone who's after a TMIC - pressure drop and heatsoak are your biggest problems, as they hold back measurable power/performance vs speculation.

If someone has the extra $$ I'd certainly recommend the PW. The Mishimoto is obviously much better value with the BOV. Either way - Troy sells both :)
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Shaheenis » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:16 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:..as they hold back measurable power/performance vs speculation.

?
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Shaheenis wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:..as they hold back measurable power/performance vs speculation.

?

In layman's terms - if you have a TMIC you'll never have enough efficiency to get to worry about something like silicone curves. These are just things people speculate about.

Two biggest factors that hold the TMIC setup back are their less-than-perfect pressure drop and that they're prone to 'heatsoak'.

The other thing to consider is - 90% of the cars on this forum don't flow enough air to worry about silicone curves. :)
alexeiwoody

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:48 am

OK now I get you. Agree on the silicon curves although the shorter the intake path between turbo and engine the better response you will have. What do you mean about the pressure drop on a TMIC? This is actually one of the biggest downsides to a FMIC due to the volume of piping and core but usually far outweighed by flow/cooling the benefits once pressure is up.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:06 am

Shaheenis wrote:OK now I get you. Agree on the silicon curves although the shorter the intake path between turbo and engine the better response you will have. What do you mean about the pressure drop on a TMIC? This is actually one of the biggest downsides to a FMIC due to the volume of piping and core but usually far outweighed by flow/cooling the benefits once pressure is up.

You've got it all very mixed up. In bold - you've described the benefits of having less pressure drop. You're right that FMIC perform better, but it's because of their lower pressure drop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_drop

In other words - the more restriction, the higher the pressure drop. The higher the pressure drop - the harder the turbo has to work to make up the extra psi - temp goes up, power is limited etc etc.

Blow through a straw - a smaller straw is harder to blow through than a larger one - ie the larger one has a smaller pressure drop.

Read this: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/intercooler.html. Just cntrl+F for "pressure drop", although the theory at the start can be interesting too. 8)
alexeiwoody

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Geez I hate it when I post by accident on my laptop. Argh.

Alex I am nor confused but we were talking about different things. I was referring to the length of time it takes for a turbo car to come on boost (lag). The same way that larger headers and up-pipe increase lag, the same principle applies to intake (Compressor to Throttle body pressure).

The time in which it takes to fill the void (build pressure) between compressor and throttle body is obviously longer the larger the void is (bigger TMIC or FMIC core and piping). This cannot be disputed. 'Pressure Drop' is only relevant when the volume of air is such that the intercooler becomes a restriction. For a stock turbo (either VF46 or VF52) this should not be a factor for the Mishimoto. Sure it won't cool as well as a FMIC but it shouldn't cause any noticeable pressure drop for this volume of air. I am upgrading to the VF52 so I can keep the boost lower and achieve similiar flow with lower intake temps.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Geez I hate it when I post by accident on my laptop. Argh.

Alex I am nor confused but we were talking about different things. I was referring to the length of time it takes for a turbo car to come on boost (lag). The same way that larger headers and up-pipe increase lag, the same principle applies to intake (Compressor to Throttle body pressure).

The time in which it takes to fill the void (build pressure) between compressor and throttle body is obviously longer the larger the void is (bigger TMIC or FMIC core and piping). This cannot be disputed. 'Pressure Drop' is only relevant when the volume of air is such that the intercooler becomes a restriction. For a stock turbo (either VF46 or VF52) this should not be a factor for the Mishimoto. Sure it won't cool as well as a FMIC but it shouldn't cause any noticeable pressure drop for this volume of air. I am upgrading to the VF52 so I can keep the boost lower and achieve similiar flow with lower intake temps.

Sorry for the thread derail Troy.

To sum it all up - you're saying that the extra piping on a PW is going to be noticeably less responsive than an AVO style TMIC.

So you're changing to a less responsive turbo for the cooler intake temps and getting the "more-responsive-yet-worse-for-cooling TMIC". If that's what you're after - a vf46 on a PW would yield the same result and would be the cheaper option. You're welcome :air_kiss:
alexeiwoody

PreviousNext

Return to PRO-Speed Racing