The Great Victorian Alpine 2 Day Cruise - Back On!

Re: The Great Victorian Alpine 2 Day Cruise - Back On!

Postby 3rspecb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:44 am

Enjoy Mark and take it easy..
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby MH3.0R » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:41 pm

What do you mean take it easy? It's a cruise, hell for leather around all those twisties and up those hills!!!

Well, probably not as my son will be in the passenger seat and if he gets car sick, he will be driving, so it will be just a tour at a leisurely pace to soak up the views and ambiance. Plus a couple of ales in the evening!
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Day 1 - Sat 28 Apr 2012

Departed Lilydale at 7am, morning tea at Mansfield. Was a traffic free drive up the Black Spur.
Departed Mansfield at 10am and headed to Mt Buller. Was a great drive up the twisties to the top. Went for a bit of a look around, then the descent. Also an awesome drive, but a little busier and a little more constraint. Lunch at Mansfield.

After lunch, Mansfield to Whitfield - more twisties, then pressed on to Myrtleford. Refueled with 98 and then on to Porepunkah and climbed to the Chalet on top of Mt Buffalo. Awesome views and cliffs from up there, but sorry, no camera (flat battery on the phone). Descended and got in to our motel at Bright by 4pm. Wasted the rest of the night on a couple of drinks and pizza.

Day 2 - Sun 29 Apr 2012

Departed Bright 7am and headed to Mt Hotham. Beautiful climb in good weather all the way to the top, but then it turned foggy, wet and windy. Did not stop at Hotham as nothing looked open at 8am, and they all looked expensive anyway. Pressed on to Dinner Plain and also did not stop as the weather was ordinary and wet. Kept driving all the way down the mountain to Omeo. Stopped at the Bakery Cafe and consumed a Highlander's Breakfast with a nice coffee. Really good breaky, fresh large rashers of bacon, two sunny side eggs on toasted sourdough, mushroom and tomato. Yum! Topped up with 98 at the local Mobil (I think it is the only one in town).

From Omeo, we headed to Bairnsdale. Initially, nice mainly downhill cruise in beautiful undulating country side, then after Swift Creek and Ensay, the road goes mega twisty following the Tambo River. What a great piece of road. Will challenge most tarmac drivers due to the length. We stopped at Bruthen for morning tea, and to let our heads stabilise!!!

From Bruthen to Bairnsdale, is nice undulating road, but traffic increasing and after Bairnsdale, just got busy highway and boring. Anyway, got back into Melbourne by 2pm, unpacked, then off for coffee and car wash at 3pm.

What a great way to spend a weekend. I am refreshed for another couple of months! :D
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Previous

Return to VIC