Street Sprints - Lakeside and Queensland Raceway

Street Sprints - Lakeside and Queensland Raceway

Postby LUVIT » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:55 pm

After having an absolute blast at the last round, I'm going to Lakeside raceway at Narangba again on Saturday for what they call the Street Sprints.
It'd be great to see some other members turn up for a run.

The sprints is not serious racing with no forced passing allowed and you can go at your own pace. The main object is to learn the track apexes etc as you go and better your own lap times. Lakeside is a technical track with sweeping bends, on/off camber everywhere and elevations. Last meet there were about 30 cars split into 4 groups of 7 or 8, they advertise as 4 races of 4 laps, but we ended up doing about 7 races before the 4pm cutoff as groups were combined as people left.

It costs $55 for a 1 year Trackman license or $20 for the day, $145 for the day's racing, and another $55 if you want to practice all morning which is good value in itself. You need an AS1698 approved helmet open or full face, about $50 and up, cotton jeans and long sleeves and shoes.

You can buy a $90 Timer at the track and zip-tie it somewhere under the car which records your lap times, and lasts a few years apparently. They print the times out after each race so you can see how your going throughout the day, and the times are also available on the QR website.

I also went to the last SS at QR the week after Lakeside, while it was ok, it left me yearning for the challenge that Lakeside presents.

info here:
http://www.qldraceways.com.au/sprints-getting-started
LUVIT

Car: 04 Blown 3R Outback Prem pack + F/Op
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24823

Re: Street Sprints - Lakeside and Queensland Raceway

Postby LUVIT » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Street sprints are on again this Sunday at Lakeside
LUVIT

Postby Caution » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Tempting. Posting for later :D
Caution

Car: MY08 GT-B

Postby HighTech RedNeck » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:07 am

after been there and doing it for 2 years and spending heaps on my last car i wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to right it off because that is the worst that can happen and it does happen. but its good fun but don't drive your daily or your nice toy
Speed doesn't kill its the sudden stop that does.
HighTech RedNeck

Car: 2005 Liberty GT 5M

Postby LUVIT » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Indeed it can and does happen.
I take my daily and it's a risk I've decided to take, risk vs reward.
You can start at the back of the group, let them get ahead on the lead lap and then go completely at your own pace trying to improve your own time.
It's also nice to actually get right up it without worrying about getting pulled over or impounded.
You can always just come out and watch first, but if you're there I bet you'll wish you'd entered. :cry:
LUVIT

Return to QLD