Gauge pods

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Gauge pods

Postby Jaz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:53 pm

I have a wideband AFR meter, along with a knocklink and maybe a boost gauge later on.

I'm looking for a single or maybe a double unit that I can integrate into the bottom corner of the A pillar and the dash. I'm looking for as factory looking as possible. I'm toying with that position or on the column.

The knocklink lights I was going relocate onto the gauge pod also.

Ideas? Pics?
Jaz

Car: 07 GT-B sedan

Re: Gauge pods

Postby smythie » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:59 am

Check with Queensland Transport as to the legality of A pillar gauges before you go too far with that idea. Also, don't forget you have curtain airbags behind that trim piece...

IMO, the A pillar on modern cars are getting ridiculously huge for the driver to see around in right handers. Really kills Audrey's confidence in right handers for example. Adding something else to the already vision impairing A pillar is not something I would be doing. YMMV
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby teK-- » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:35 am

+1 re the pillars being big enough already. With the pillar trim you need to ensure that the gauge does not stop it from popping out at the top if the curtain airbags have to deploy. The whole trim doesn't blast off but it pops out at the top and hinges along the bottom, so if you have a gauge at the bottom tight against the trim and the dash then your airbag may not deploy properly.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Jaz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:58 am

Ok, I will rephrase what I want. I don't play on putting anything on the A-pillar. I was fully aware of all of the airbag deployment repercussions.

What I am considering it fitting some gear on the flat surface behind and to the Right side of the existing dash cluster. I don't want to fit a gauge pod above the sat nav (Rexxy style) if I can avoid it.
Jaz

Postby teK-- » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:38 pm

AVO make one but it's for a single pod.
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby 04GTLIB » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:44 pm

teK-- wrote:AVO make one but it's for a single pod.

I tried hunting one of these down towards the end of last year and it fell through.
I ended up making one. There's pics in the "Post Your Mods" section somewhere.

Cheers,
Rusty.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby 06 blitzen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:28 pm

i think they have had some fitted into the very bottom of your center console...where the lighter and ash tray go...quick search couldnt find it..but i know its there somewhere
2006 Liberty BLITZEN
Twin Stainless Exhaust, HKS Panel Filter, RREV S Type Spoiler, Eyelids, Outback Bonnet, HID's
06 blitzen

Car: 06 blitzen

Postby teK-- » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:50 pm

I have seen someone once install their gauges INSIDE the center armrest storage bin. They said if they heard one of the warning beeps they could then open the lid and see which gauge was beeping and what reading was out of range :roll:

IMHO gauges should be treated as any other instrument and if you are installing them for functionality they should be in full view without blocking your view of the road.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Jaz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:55 pm

teK-- wrote:IMHO gauges should be treated as any other instrument and if you are installing them for functionality they should be in full view without blocking your view of the road.

Agreed, thus my choice of position.
Jaz

Postby vaccine » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:57 am

so to dig this post back up.
The Gen 4 has an airbag somewhere in the A-pillar???

friend is in process of making items with carbon fibre. We will be making a guage pod for the Gen 3 on A pillar.
Will also be make a tripple guage hood as well for Gen 3. something small enought to be out of the way but still 60mm.

trying to work out if there would be interest in Gen 4 gear.
.. Dave
vaccine

Car: MY05 3RB

Postby smythie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 am

yes, part of the curtain airbag is located in the A-pillar
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby castek » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:50 pm

i rekon best place is to pop them in the cubby hole. can fit 3 x 2" gauges nicely from what i have dummyied up.
castek

Car: 2005 Liberty 2.5i Arctic White

Postby Jaz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:10 pm

vaccine wrote:trying to work out if there would be interest in Gen 4 gear.

Dave I'd be interested in a pod for two gauges to go above the factory sat-nav or in the bottom corner of the a-pillar (on dash though).
Jaz

Postby SillySora » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Mine is on the A pillar doesn't block the view maybe 5mm but that's about it. Also its designed for the curtain airbag.
SillySora

Car: My 08 Liberty

Postby Boostme » Tue May 10, 2011 2:37 pm

SillySora wrote:Mine is on the A pillar doesn't block the view maybe 5mm but that's about it. Also its designed for the curtain airbag.

where did u get it from ?
Cars: 98 Autech Rs260, VL Calais Turbo
Misses has a pretty GT spec-b running 17's now :P
Boostme

Car: Autech 260rs , VL Calais Turbo

Next

Return to Bling me up