paint protection = bad for black car? (need help urgent)

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

paint protection = bad for black car? (need help urgent)

Postby subarugt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:50 pm

I was told today at some service center that paint protection will be bad for black colour cars. I bought full paint and leather protection for the gt and it's black. should I quickly call the dealer and ask them to remove the paint protection from contract? Before the car arrive.

Do you guys buy paint protections when buying new cars? is it really needed? how about leather protection? should I keep leather protection but just tell them to remove paint protection?

I need to find out asap because If i don't tell them before the car arrive then I might not be able to remove it from the contract.

any info are welcome thanks.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Car: Liberty GT

Re: paint protection = bad for black car? (need help urgent)

Postby Arith » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Wow, you really like overpaying for stuff don't you? :D Dealership paint/leather protection, MRT, HiTech.

But the protection stuff you can apply yourself or take it to any car detailer for a fraction of the cost.

Oh, the same goes for window tinting if you were thinking about having the dealership do that for you as well.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby subarugt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:39 pm

Arith wrote:Wow, you really like overpaying for stuff don't you? :D Dealership paint/leather protection, MRT, HiTech.

But the protection stuff you can apply yourself or take it to any car detailer for a fraction of the cost.

Oh, the same goes for window tinting if you were thinking about having the dealership do that for you as well.

:cry: So I should just remove it from the contract? but is the paint protection good or bad for the black car? I think i pay around $17xx something for the paint protection including leather protection + tint. but the MY10 gt only need to tint 2 windows because the rest of the windows on my10 are already privacy class and doesn't need to be tinted.

I took the package coz I thought might just be easier to do it all at the same place. What I am really worry about now is if the paint protection going to damage the black car's paint.

Do you have paint protection on your car? and what colour car is it?
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby teK-- » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:49 pm

No do not get the dealer paint "protection" package. It is overpriced and another opportunity for profit to the dealer.

If you want a good wax or sealant product applied on top of the factory clearcoat, take your car to a professional detailer which should cost you less and give a better finish. Since the paint is already brand new, the amount of restoration should be minimal if any, which will save you a lot over doing it later in the car's life (these packages are usually charged by the hour if you go to a good detailer).
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby 04GTLIB » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:00 pm

I'd definitely give all the paint/interior protection the dealer is offering a big miss.
$1700 odd dollars on this stuff and some tint, your getting bent over and reamed my friend.
Go out and spend $400 on some really decent polishing/waxing products like Zaino for instance and then see your local tint guy to tint the windows.
You'd save yourself $1000 easily and you'd have excellent products at home for when ever you need them.
Just my opinion though, as it's your money to spend.
Cheers,
Rusty.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby subarugt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will call the dealer tomorrow asap to remove the paint protection and leather protection in the contract.

But my question is should I still be getting paint protection for black car? how come some say paint protection is bad for black car?

I did have another black car before (now it's sold) with full paint protection and leather protection. But somehow the paint looks quite back some colour are even slightly lighter. I took it back to the dealer coz paint protection suppose to have life time warranty. but they told me it was the hand car wash cause the problem. That's why after someone told me today paint protection might damage the paint I am very worried.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby teK-- » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:49 pm

Whether a car is black or white or pink, some form of paint sealant or wax is going to preserve its life and improve its presentation. The problem with black is that it shows swirl marks very easily. Swirl marks are often caused by incorrect and over zealous use of power buffers, but also more commonly by automated carwashes, self-serve car washes (if you use the brush), and even if the car is cleaned by hand and the incorrect materials or technique is used.

Those $10 car washes where they wash your car by hand are a definite no no in my books. The amount of time they are limited to per car, plus the price, mean the job is rushed, using poor materials with no rinsing inbetween panels, and generally poor quality products. Send your black car there once I guarantee you it will come back with light scratches all over the clear coat

The only way to go is to buy the correct products and learn how to do it yourself, or send it to a premium car detailer who would charge around $30-$40 for a basic wash of the exterior and vacuum of interior, but they will take the car not to scratch up your paint.
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Sentinel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:07 pm

04GTLIB wrote:I'd definitely give all the paint/interior protection the dealer is offering a big miss.
$1700 odd dollars on this stuff and some tint, your getting bent over and reamed my friend.
Go out and spend $400 on some really decent polishing/waxing products like Zaino for instance and then see your local tint guy to tint the windows.
You'd save yourself $1000 easily and you'd have excellent products at home for when ever you need them.
Just my opinion though, as it's your money to spend.
Cheers,
Rusty.

+1
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby subarugt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:44 pm

teK-- wrote:Whether a car is black or white or pink, some form of paint sealant or wax is going to preserve its life and improve its presentation. The problem with black is that it shows swirl marks very easily. Swirl marks are often caused by incorrect and over zealous use of power buffers, but also more commonly by automated carwashes, self-serve car washes (if you use the brush), and even if the car is cleaned by hand and the incorrect materials or technique is used.

Those $10 car washes where they wash your car by hand are a definite no no in my books. The amount of time they are limited to per car, plus the price, mean the job is rushed, using poor materials with no rinsing inbetween panels, and generally poor quality products. Send your black car there once I guarantee you it will come back with light scratches all over the clear coat

The only way to go is to buy the correct products and learn how to do it yourself, or send it to a premium car detailer who would charge around $30-$40 for a basic wash of the exterior and vacuum of interior, but they will take the car not to scratch up your paint.

Thanks for the info. are there any good professional paint shop in sydney you can suggest me to do the paint protection from? or just don't worry about it since it's new and go details later when I notice scratches?
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby Boxer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:05 pm

andygt wrote:
teK-- wrote:Whether a car is black or white or pink, some form of paint sealant or wax is going to preserve its life and improve its presentation. The problem with black is that it shows swirl marks very easily. Swirl marks are often caused by incorrect and over zealous use of power buffers, but also more commonly by automated carwashes, self-serve car washes (if you use the brush), and even if the car is cleaned by hand and the incorrect materials or technique is used.

Thanks for the info. are there any good professional paint shop in sydney you can suggest me to do the paint protection from? or just don't worry about it since it's new and go details later when I notice scratches?

Paint protection per se' is merely a long life polymer sealant. It does nothing for scratch protection - only fallout, blemishes etc

Wax your car often instead - better gloss and clarity and will also provide nourishement and protection for the paint.

Talk to www.waxit.com.au

As Rusty suggested there are many brands of which Zaino is one. I have used Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Zymol, Optiseal and Meguiars in the past
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer

Postby teK-- » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 pm

andygt wrote:

www.detailparadise.com.au will hook you up with all the DIY guides you need, show you where to buy good quality products and materials, plus refer you to good detailers in your area.

Beware, care detailing is a deep rabbit hole especially if you buy a brand new car and develop an obsession to maintain it in showroom condition ;) You will spend hundreds of dollars on pads, towels and chemicals and labor over many hours detailing your car regulary unless you want to pay someone else a small fortune to do it regularly for you.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby subarugt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks for all the help guys. I've just contacted the sales and he say he will remove the paint protection package from the contract. :lol:

after I get the car I might confirm with you guys again before I am buying any leather protection so i can do it myself. I think the best is do it yourself because it's your own and even if you pay other people they won't be as careful as yourself i think.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby Wasbxt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:26 pm

I had the full package done but for the $$$'s I paid it was hard to refuse.

My GT's Graphite Grey.
Wasbxt

Car: MY10 Liberty GT Premium Wagn

Postby CheesyMong » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:49 pm

andygt wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. I've just contacted the sales and he say he will remove the paint protection package from the contract. :lol:

after I get the car I might confirm with you guys again before I am buying any leather protection so i can do it myself. I think the best is do it yourself because it's your own and even if you pay other people they won't be as careful as yourself i think.

Yeah but if they stuff they gotta fix it :)
CheesyMong

Car: MY07 Liberty GT-B 6MT

Postby subarugt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:55 pm

CheesyMong wrote:
Yeah but if they stuff they gotta fix it :)

No they will end up telling you it's the way you wash the car. This happened to my other black car that I had full paint protection. I only went to like car wash about few times the 2nd year the black colour already look so bad I never wash the car with those auto washes. I took the car back and they took me car to buffed it up again wish make it look even worse...... and they just tell me it's my fault for washing the car incorrectly. And that paint protection package I pay was around $2k I think.

I better do it myself slowly this time. I won't cost me 1k even if I buy the best paint protection and leather protection product myself and apply them right?
subarugt
formerly andygt

Next

Return to Bling me up