is blow off vale useful or just making noise?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Re: is blow off vale useful or just making noise?

Postby GTSPECB STI » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:49 am

Well then my advise to you is take delivery of your Lib GT and learn to drive it in stock format, then if you want more performance do some bolt on mods, Subaru's are well known for the high level of safety.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby Boxer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 am

Coupla minor clarifications/confirmations

First and foremost it is true a vent to atmosphere BOV is nothing but wank on a stock car
Slight changes in responsiveness can be acheived with adjustable aftermarket BOV's (can still be plumbed back as per the OEM BOV) This is done by holding the BOV closed harder and earlier to bring boost on quicker between gears. still this is so minor, alone its not really worth the $400 bucks
Its a fine balance however - too tight on the BOV and it wont let enough pressure escape between gears and stall or partially stall the turbo (and can cause the flutter tek speaks of - conjecture over whether this really does stress a turbo at normal road pressues however)

Lastly the leak issue - I have covered this in another forum. BOV's dont 'leak' as such - if you think about their construction they have a diaphragm in the centre of the casing and a hose top and bottom BOTH receiving boost pressure when the car is under boost conditions (the top chamber recieves it from the vacuum line in the manifold and the bottom chamber from the intercooler pipe. Therefore there is no pressure differential across the diaphragm and nothing to 'leak' as such. When the throttle butterfly snaps shut on gear change the top chamber then receives vacuum from the manifold whilst the intercooler pipe is still under positive pressure and the BOV operates.
Where the confusion arises is many stock BOV's have a bypass or feedback circuit built in by way of a small tube from the pressure pipe side to the top vacuum side and are set to start to bleed pressure at higher than stock boost designs.
GSR's were notorious for it - but if you inspect your stock GT BOV =you will see it does still include this design but will cope with quite high pressures before activating. Many GSR owners simply turned thier BOV end for end which fixed the bypass issue

So in short - agree with most sentiments.

Stock BOV is fine on stock car
Aftermarket BOV's have advantages on modded cars - but atmosphere venting is wank unless you are trying to dump huge volumes of air due to turbo size and boost pressure where the stock recirculate pipe becomes a restriction in itself.
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer

Postby subarugt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 am

Arith wrote:MRT has a different approach to tuning. Well, that and a lot of lying and scare tactics. I know you've used MRT in the past, but no one here buys into MRT propaganda. :P

reason why I use mrt is because they said you can keep the subaru warranty even if you mod your cars with them. or it's just not true?

could you guys give more details about best place to service in sydney and not to service in sydney in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7862 I don't see many reply yet. really need to find a good service/tune shop that I can use for long term. I been using the dealer service all the time before until i encountered problem with them I don't want to go into details but I won't be service any of my cars or my families cars in dealer service anymore I think. So yes I really need to find a good service center asap.

thanks for the detailed reply.

What I am thinking to do is drive the gt till 5000km in stock to feel and learn how to drive it first. But any advice is welcome.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Car: Liberty GT

Postby teK-- » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 am

andygt wrote:To me I'd like handling and safety more than just performance. I tried some cars with very bad tunes they are very powerful but even a novice like myself can tell those cars are very dangerous to drive. That's what I am really worry.

$5K purely on suspension and brake mods would make the car really really sweet :D. What you don't gain in acceleration you will gain in later braking and maintaining more corner speed.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby subarugt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

teK-- wrote:
andygt wrote:To me I'd like handling and safety more than just performance. I tried some cars with very bad tunes they are very powerful but even a novice like myself can tell those cars are very dangerous to drive. That's what I am really worry.

$5K purely on suspension and brake mods would make the car really really sweet :D. What you don't gain in acceleration you will gain in later braking and maintaining more corner speed.

the my10 gt's break and suspension is not good enough? because I read some review somewhere and they say it's pretty good i think. When I took the car for overnight test drive it feels quite good actually for the break and suspension. But I didn't push the car since it's not my car.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby teK-- » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:50 am

Good enough for what? For most people who use the car as a mode of transport? Probably. Good enough for an enthusiast or someone who wants to drive on the track? Mostly no.

The MY10 GT have Bilsteins as standard now but I am not sure of their valving, and the springs could certainly still be uprated and a bit lower, swaybars could be uprated, bushes could be replaced with eccentric urethane versions, bracing could be installed and alignment adjustment kits as well to take the wheel alignment beyond factory spec will allow.

The brakepads would be rubbish when driving faster than a daily commute since they are scaled very low in the temperature ranges to give light pedal effort and good low speed bite which is what the majority populace want. Also stock brake fluid will not stand up to repeated, heavy braking. The calipers and discs are otherwise not too bad as they are a decent size. Since the rubber brake lines are brand new they should be good for the meantime unless keen to shell out about $500 for stainless steel ones.

They are all the changes I would make to the MY10 GT if I had one, and $5K spare.

We are getting off track now :)
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby subarugt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:01 pm

sorry just few more question. yeah I never been to track yet. mostly I drive was mountain roads. So I love corners and not just straight line racing.

maybe I just play with the stock ones till they finish then get a Brembo ones? or is there a place I can trade in the stock ones for a new Brembo ones + money?

Could you tell me what model Brembo breaks is good for a my10 GT? and how much are they? where can I get them in Sydney?

the problem with lowering the springs is good for track that's for sure. but how about everyday drive it will make the car feels much harder and not as comfortable? Right now the the my10 stock ones after 1 night I feel it's not too hard and not too soft just feel right. I need to test it abit more once I get the car.

yeah we kinda off topic but really want to know about more infos on modding. :)
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby teK-- » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 pm

No need to upgrade to Brembos which IMHO are an unncessary expense (and weight) unless you are really going to be pushing the car hard. The stock brakes with good pads, fluid, and eventually when the discs wear out put some good ones in, will do you very well.

If ride comfort is your priority then you should try uprated swaybars prior to lower/firmer springs then. I have always been of the belief that springs do not need to be rock hard or super low to allow the car to corner like the proverbial go-kart. The rest of the system just needs to be set up well. It is for sure that the wheels need to be able to easily articulate with minimal effect on the rest of the chassis, for the car to grip well.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby swingn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 pm

GTSPECB STI wrote:
swingn wrote:That being said, if you read around the forum, the standard unit used on the Gen 4's appears to be pretty good... Personally, I can't see how a plastic BOV can perform the same as good quality after market unit which is metal etc.

Subaru use plastic instead of metal on all sorts of parts under the bonnet..go have a look some time. Aftermarket BOV is an absolute waste of coin unless you have already modded engine, exhaust, and turbo and are producing huge amounts of HP and higher than stock boost.

Mate, watch yourself... I'm very familiar with what's under my bonnet as most people on here will 2nd...

If you read what I actually posted I said "the standard unit used on the Gen 4's appears to be pretty good" so at no stage did a suggest "go buy an after market BOV, it's the best thing since sliced bread" nor did I say it was sh!t.

I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just giving my opinion & sharing my experiences as I've had as well as other mates have had. From what I have found, cars that run plastic type BOV, always benefit from an upgraded after market unit... Another example, the EVO 8 had a similar BOV to the Libs as standard... But the EVO 8 MR had a metal type one. To this day it is a popular basic upgrade for EVO owners.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby Hotwire » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:42 pm

swingn wrote:
GTSPECB STI wrote:
swingn wrote:That being said, if you read around the forum, the standard unit used on the Gen 4's appears to be pretty good... Personally, I can't see how a plastic BOV can perform the same as good quality after market unit which is metal etc.

Subaru use plastic instead of metal on all sorts of parts under the bonnet..go have a look some time. Aftermarket BOV is an absolute waste of coin unless you have already modded engine, exhaust, and turbo and are producing huge amounts of HP and higher than stock boost.

Mate, watch yourself... I'm very familiar with what's under my bonnet as most people on here will 2nd...

If you read what I actually posted I said "the standard unit used on the Gen 4's appears to be pretty good" so at no stage did a suggest "go buy an after market BOV, it's the best thing since sliced bread" nor did I say it was sh!t.

I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just giving my opinion & sharing my experiences as I've had as well as other mates have had. From what I have found, cars that run plastic type BOV, always benefit from an upgraded after market unit... Another example, the EVO 8 had a similar BOV to the Libs as standard... But the EVO 8 MR had a metal type one. To this day it is a popular basic upgrade for EVO owners when running higher than standard boost.

Completed your last statement there ;)
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby swingn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:49 pm

You may be right Hotwire... But I have mates with EVO's that have upgraded it just because it's a better quality part. Sure it'll handle higher boost, but that's not why they changed it... It's just an advantage for them when the modding bug bites that little bit harder :D
swingn
-stickered-

Postby tangcla » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:02 pm

GTSPECB STI wrote:Subaru use plastic instead of metal on all sorts of parts under the bonnet..go have a look some time. Aftermarket BOV is an absolute waste of coin unless you have already modded engine, exhaust, and turbo and are producing huge amounts of HP and higher than stock boost.

^ what he said. Intake manifold is plastic instead of metal, this reduces weight and has a smoother wall so there's less turbulence.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby GTSPECB STI » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 pm

tangcla wrote:
GTSPECB STI wrote:Subaru use plastic instead of metal on all sorts of parts under the bonnet..go have a look some time. Aftermarket BOV is an absolute waste of coin unless you have already modded engine, exhaust, and turbo and are producing huge amounts of HP and higher than stock boost.

^ what he said. Intake manifold is plastic instead of metal, this reduces weight and has a smoother wall so there's less turbulence.

bingo we have a winner...I will watch myself although I cant imagine why :lol:

I have a mate of a mate of mate of who saw an EVO too
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby swingn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:48 am

GTSPECB STI... It's people like you who f@ck forums up for the rest of us with those low blows etc.

All I was doing was giving my opinion & my own experiences, which is what a forum is all about.

You can continue to rip sh!t into me & others if you like because you think we don't know what we're talking about, but I won't be dignifying you with a response.
swingn
-stickered-

Postby GTB Liberty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:43 pm

Perhaps we should all take a breather on this thread?

"Don't respect what they say but respect thier right to say it"

My 2 cents.

Andygt - I'd suggest that many of your questions have been answered before. Perhaps use the "search" function to find whether issues have been discussed previously.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B Manual SEDAN | TEAM White | Verso tuned @ ASG 240 Hp & 372 Nm hub dyno| STi | BBK M turbo | GriMspeed | Brembo | Valentine V1 | ECUdatascan | PROVA | HKS | Zero Sports | Phat Performance Parts | ACME | Whiteline | Enkei | Dixcel | Cusco
" . . . and on the 8th day God made Subaru . . . on the 9th supposedly the V8 . . . and on the 10th turbo lag so the V8s would think they had a chance "
GTB Liberty

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=5714

PreviousNext

Return to Bling me up