is blow off vale useful or just making noise?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

is blow off vale useful or just making noise?

Postby subarugt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Does the BOV helps with the performance or it just makes noise?
subarugt
formerly andygt

Car: Liberty GT

Re: is blow off vale useful or just making noise?

Postby Hotwire » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 am

A vent to atmosphere BOV does nothing for performance, just 100% wank factor :roll:

Do a search as there has been plenty of discussion on this...
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby swingn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 am

Yes it helps performance by holding boost pressure & expelling gases more efficiently.

In some cars (Polo GTI for example) the standard BOV's tend to leak boost pressure which makes the car feel like it's running out of puff... When my mate wacked on my old HKS SSQV, it did make a difference into how the car pulled in the higher revs... Albeit, it wasn't a significant change, but there was a change non the less.

That being said, if you read around the forum, the standard unit used on the Gen 4's appears to be pretty good... Personally, I can't see how a plastic BOV can perform the same as good quality after market unit which is metal etc.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby Hotwire » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 am

Matty - I think you need to clarify that is only at higher than stock boost pressures. The stock unit will perform just fine for many hundreds of thousands of kms for stock boost pressures. If you run 20psi, then yeah, you'd be wanting an aftermarket unit possibly, but just the BOV alone does NOTHING for the performance of an otherwise stock car.
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
Hotwire

Postby swingn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 am

Hotwire wrote:Matty - I think you need to clarify that is only at higher than stock boost pressures. The stock unit will perform just fine for many hundreds of thousands of kms for stock boost pressures. If you run 20psi, then yeah, you'd be wanting an aftermarket unit possibly, but just the BOV alone does NOTHING for the performance of an otherwise stock car.

Can't speak for the Lib, as I said, I feel that a good after market unit in the way to go.

BUT, in some cars, like the Polo GTI I used as an example, the standard BOV was leaking boost pressure... & that was a completely stock car... No tune or anything.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby subarugt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:58 am

i see thanks for the info. I am new to car mods. So I am just asking questions here and there trying to find out what's the best way to mod the my10 GT without costing too much. I personally don't a fan of noisy cars. well used to love it when I was young but I am getting old so i would prefer a car that goes and accelerates fast silently than a car that makes so much noise but slow.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby Hotwire » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:13 am

Best bang for buck has always been a tune on the Liberty GT's, I dont see that would have changed for the MY10. If you want more performance without additional noise, find a good tuner and go that route.
Hotwire

Postby tangcla » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:44 am

I go between love and hate with the BOV sound. I like it at the moment, as for the past few months. I'll probably hate it soon and will have a GFB Stealth FX for sale :P
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby GTSPECB STI » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:53 am

swingn wrote:That being said, if you read around the forum, the standard unit used on the Gen 4's appears to be pretty good... Personally, I can't see how a plastic BOV can perform the same as good quality after market unit which is metal etc.

Subaru use plastic instead of metal on all sorts of parts under the bonnet..go have a look some time. Aftermarket BOV is an absolute waste of coin unless you have already modded engine, exhaust, and turbo and are producing huge amounts of HP and higher than stock boost.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 am

I've always loved the turbo flutter sound (running no bov at all or an undersized bov) even if it is very bad on the turbine blades ;)
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Arith » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:15 am

Ok, so it's agreed. Aftermarket BOV is one of the essentials for a moderate to heavily modded Liberty running higher than stock boost. With stock or near stock, stick with the factory unit. :P

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby subarugt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 am

Hotwire wrote:Best bang for buck has always been a tune on the Liberty GT's, I dont see that would have changed for the MY10. If you want more performance without additional noise, find a good tuner and go that route.

I was told by MRT that the my10 gt is already well tuned by factory. So it won't get much performance out of it if just tune it without changing after market parts? honestly I don't want to spend more than $5k turning this car. 5k is maybe the max amount of money I am willing to spend modding it. So I am going to do alot research and compare prices before doing anything I think. these forums and you guys really helps alot by providing useful infos.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby GTSPECB STI » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:25 am

A subaru factory tune will be rich and all over the place...more like factory detune, its not just about getting more killawasps. Turboback exhaust and tune will run you $2500-3000. You would also be wise to look at the suspension set up for some modding unless you like to roll outback style. Get yourself some nice linear lowering springs and a good wheel alignment and allow for $700. Also get yourself an aftermarket panel filter $100. All up well under $5K and your car will be nicely improved.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby subarugt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:47 am

To me I'd like handling and safety more than just performance. I tried some cars with very bad tunes they are very powerful but even a novice like myself can tell those cars are very dangerous to drive. That's what I am really worry.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby Arith » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 am

andygt wrote:I was told by MRT that the my10 gt is already well tuned by factory.

MRT has a different approach to tuning. Well, that and a lot of lying and scare tactics. I know you've used MRT in the past, but no one here buys into MRT propaganda. :P

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Next

Return to Bling me up