Billies V Standard

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Billies V Standard

Postby cruisn » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:26 pm

After some info if someone is in the know as to if the Spec B Bilsteins sit the wagon lower than stock GT suspension?

Ive seen a few Gen4 wagons (non spec B) that bounce a bit in the back on the stock suspension as does my wifes, so was looking at putting the Billies in to minimise this. Springs are on the cards also, but want to know how they sit stock.

Cheers
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Re: Billies V Standard

Postby Lukovitch » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm pretty sure they don't alter ride height at all. If you want it to sit lower, you'll need lower springs to go with them...
Fast & Functional.
Lukovitch

Car: 2008 GTB Wagon

Postby teK-- » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:55 pm

If you fit the same spring to the same car but swap the struts between Billies and the KYBs that are fitted stock to the GT, you will likely find that the front ends up sitting a little higher due to the spring perch on the Billies being a different height.

To get around this you need springs that are from the Spec B (or get lowering springs which are based on the JDM GT, since they have Billies fitted as standard).
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Lib 3.0LR » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:10 pm

I will post shots and tell you how its sits when i install these bilstien with Eibach springs on my wagon
Attachments
049.JPG
049.JPG (140.91 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
Silver wagon MY06 3.0LR/18' STI Enkei rims/STI front lip/STI pedels/STI mufflers/STI flexible bar/HKS panel air filter/Clarion CeNET iPod interface EA1251 /HID lights-fogs 6000k/Led parkers/Bilstien- Eibach springs / Corazon Grill /Brembo's-Dixel pads/goodride-brakelines./Cusco: BRAKE CYLINDER STOPPER /.Valenti Japan LED Tail Light/In Car PC,JDM Front Bar /KiDo Tune more TBA ?[size=85]
Lib 3.0LR

Car: MY06 LIBERTY 3.0LR WAGON.

Postby 06 blitzen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:37 pm

im also interested....i have the 30.rb with the billies and a looking to lower the ride height.
was hoping it could be as simple as purchasing some quality lowering springs as i love the ride quality of the bilsteins
2006 Liberty BLITZEN
Twin Stainless Exhaust, HKS Panel Filter, RREV S Type Spoiler, Eyelids, Outback Bonnet, HID's
06 blitzen

Car: 06 blitzen

Postby cruisn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks for the replies, but some have missed the jist of what i was after.

Stock GTB Billies inc springs V stock GT KYB's inc springs. Anyone know 100% if theres a height difference?

The stock GTB's ive seen around look to sit a little lower than my GT. So just curious. I will be buying Bilsteins soon anyway so will measure before and after. Once the 18's and lip are one I can revisit the height and assess a spring change, but it would only be for a set of 15mm STi pinks.

Cheers
cruisn

Postby Arith » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:21 pm

I've put stock springs on Bilsteins on a MY05 GT before, and the rear actually sits a bit lower than with KYBs. However as Tek was saying, the fronts sat about 5-10mm higher due to the stiffer Bilstein dampers.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby ThirstyAs » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:24 pm

I heard around some where the Spec B's actually sit a smidge higher than stock gt's, its the 18" rim on the spec b's that hide it vs the 17" on the stock gt - ie with the bigger rim on the spec b your eys perceive the car to be lower
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail
ThirstyAs

Car: MY08 GT spec B tb STi Wagon

Postby cruisn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:29 pm

ThirstyAs wrote:I heard around some where the Spec B's actually sit a smidge higher than stock gt's, its the 18" rim on the spec b's that hide it vs the 17" on the stock gt - ie with the bigger rim on the spec b your eys perceive the car to be lower

Thats a pretty good point there.

Higher might be better for the wife with the STi lip. :D
cruisn

Postby Adrian2627 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 pm

The Bilstein shock/spring set-up is 10mm lower than the standard GT gear. However as was pointed out the bigger wheel/tyre combo also pretty much evens them out to give a 150mm ride height.

One thing to be aware of also is that JDM shock/spring combos will give a firmer ride than the ADM version due to more damping/ higher spring rates
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby cruisn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:44 am

Adrian2627 wrote:The Bilstein shock/spring set-up is 10mm lower than the standard GT gear. However as was pointed out the bigger wheel/tyre combo also pretty much evens them out to give a 150mm ride height.

One thing to be aware of also is that JDM shock/spring combos will give a firmer ride than the ADM version due to more damping/ higher spring rates

Cheers Adrian. The exact info i was after. :D

With that being the case, i think a set of Billies will sit the car nicely with the 18's. A little bit firmer will be good also as they are being sourced from Japan.
cruisn

Postby Adrian2627 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:53 pm

You will still get a larger gap over the front than the back but with the 18" wheel/tyre it shouldn't look too bad. I've got JDM Bilsteins in my car and it's firmer but still a pretty good ride. It passes the MRS test, ie the wife doesn't complain that the car is to stiff on the country roads around Jindabyne.
Adrian2627

Postby Cassius » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Hello, the eibachs that you are using,did they come from the eibach pro kit and how do you find the fit since when I checked out the eibachs they say that they are only for the GT/GT spec B?

Lib 3.0LR wrote:I will post shots and tell you how its sits when i install these bilstien with Eibach springs on my wagon
Cassius

Car: 3.0R spec B 6MT

Postby cruisn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Adrian2627 wrote:You will still get a larger gap over the front than the back but with the 18" wheel/tyre it shouldn't look too bad. I've got JDM Bilsteins in my car and it's firmer but still a pretty good ride. It passes the MRS test, ie the wife doesn't complain that the car is to stiff on the country roads around Jindabyne.

I'll live with the gap. It should see the STi lip last a little longer with the wife behind the wheel. :D

Bilsteins have been purchased, so now just have to wait for arrival.
cruisn

Postby Adrian2627 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:27 pm

cruisn wrote:I'll live with the gap. It should see the STi lip last a little longer with the wife behind the wheel. :D

Ah, part two of the MRS test. Does she rip the front end clean off the car? Mine with the Bilstein/Whiteline combo is lower but not gutter smashingly low which also passes part two.

Just as a note, my MRS drives an Outback. Gotta love the ground clearence. :D
Adrian2627

Next

Return to Bling me up