Wheels/Suspension

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Re: Wheels/Suspension

Postby nytrojen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:30 am

How often do you need tyres eh? Well, my friend... you won't be saying that when you get a puncture that destroys the entire sidewall of a tyre, and because of the wear on the opposite side you then need to get two new tyres. True story. It hurt my wallet :(
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby Laps » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:33 am

nytrojen wrote:How often do you need tyres eh? Well, my friend... you won't be saying that when you get a puncture that destroys the entire sidewall of a tyre, and because of the wear on the opposite side you then need to get two new tyres. True story. It hurt my wallet :(

Lol happened to me in my impreza, except I hit a gutter head on lol
[ Click --> Here <-- for modifications & profile ]
"If you can't make it fast, you may as well make it look good..."
Laps

Car: MY08 2.5i Liberty Sedan

Postby teK-- » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:44 am

Laps wrote:
But back to price, if its only gonna cost $100-$150 more per tyre, im down with that... After all, how often do need new tyres lol just a bit worried about how Jim said if i want to sacrifice a bit of ride and comfort... So 19s will be bouncy as hell?

The lower the profile you go with the tyre the *less* bouncier it gets, and the *more* firmer it gets, due to less compliance in the tyre sidewall. Your suspension will have to work much harder, and if you keep driving into gutters head on you will be needing more than just new tyres. Most larger potholes are lethal to 20" wheels.

Don't forget larger wheels weigh more, so the larger you go, compared to your stock setup you are adding a good 1-2kgs to each corner of the car which will be a detriment your car's handling and acceleration/braking.

IMHO anything bigger than 18" has diminishing returns in terms of balance between comfort/performance/value for money.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Hotwire » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 am

teK-- wrote:
Laps wrote:
But back to price, if its only gonna cost $100-$150 more per tyre, im down with that... After all, how often do need new tyres lol just a bit worried about how Jim said if i want to sacrifice a bit of ride and comfort... So 19s will be bouncy as hell?

The lower the profile you go with the tyre the *less* bouncier it gets, and the *more* firmer it gets, due to less compliance in the tyre sidewall. Your suspension will have to work much harder, and if you keep driving into gutters head on you will be needing more than just new tyres. Most larger potholes are lethal to 20" wheels.

Don't forget larger wheels weigh more, so the larger you go, compared to your stock setup you are adding a good 1-2kgs to each corner of the car which will be a detriment your car's handling and acceleration/braking.

IMHO anything bigger than 18" has diminishing returns in terms of balance between comfort/performance/value for money.

Yup, couldn't agree more. 18s is still a comfortable ride, looks the goods AND without any detrement to performance. 19s is purely for show as far as i'm concerned. Also, pending spoke design, 18s can look quite large, i.e. I've had a few people question if my wheels were 19s (due to long spoke design)
So pick a quality 18 and you'll be happy and better off in the hip pocket.

|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby Laps » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:44 am

Hmm i spose 18s could look ok then...

I just needa find some good pics of 18 inch wheels on libertys to sway me that way :P

PICS OR LINKS PLEASE :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
Laps

Postby tangcla » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:52 am

Laps wrote:... So 19s will be bouncy as hell?

I don't know, let me tell you tomorrow ;)
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby Laps » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:04 am

tangcla wrote:
Laps wrote:... So 19s will be bouncy as hell?

I don't know, let me tell you tomorrow ;)

Lol i dont get it, are u putting 19s on or something lol?
Laps

Postby tangcla » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:07 am

Code: Select all
I can neither confirm nor deny the allegation.

100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Postby teK-- » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:17 am

Bah Tangles you are building up the suspense so much that the bubble's gonna burst before you even put the wheels on lol.
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby smythie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:22 am

First up, there is plenty of wheel talk in the Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres. forum

A thread started by JimmyS titled The Gen 4 Liberty Wheels Thread! shows a number of wheel options on Gen 4 Liberty's. Actually, he has started similar threads for pretty much all generations of the Libs.

A couple of pointers for you when looking for wheels for your Lib:
- you will need a 5 x 100mm PCD stud pattern wheel
- offset for the factory wheels (whether they be the normal 17x7, Spec B/Blitzen/Spec B R 18x7 or tb STi 18x7.5 wheels) is +55mm. It's generally not a problem to go down to +45mm for most wheel sizes. The lower the positive offset, the further your wheel/tyre sticks out off the car and the greater the chance of scrubbing on the inside of the guard. A lower positive offset can be used but it will necessitate rolling guards to ensure enough clearance (pplwu has 19x8 (width correct?) 151c Advans with +38 offset for example)
- Wheel width: I don't think many have managed to get wider than 8" to work without a lot of guard rolling and getting just-right offset
- 19" wheels - before you hand over cash for a wheel, I'd suggest you get a test fitting done (or at least don't buy anything without a full refund being guaranteed if the wheel doesn't fit). Some guys have had issues with fitting certain 19"ers under lowered cars
- Get wheels that YOU like the look of on your car. Don't worry about what others say about your wheels
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Laps » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:42 am

Ah k cool, thanks for the info :)

Not sure if many places in canberra would do a test fitting ;(

Pretty much my situation is Wheel/springs cost is not an issue, I just dont wanna be upgrading the shocks for liek $1200...

So if i could get 19s and still have a smooth ride by only getting new springs, id be happy, but it looks like i AM gonna have to get shocks aswell for a smooth ride.

My ideal situation is find 19s I like, ugrade suspension so it is still realllllly smooth, and not spend more than $4000 :D
Laps

Postby tangcla » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am

I would recommend you get springs sorted out first, because then you wiill know how the ride is, and also a better indication whether the wheels will rub on the guards or not.

tangcla

Postby teK-- » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:49 am

tangcla wrote:I would recommend you get springs sorted out first, because then you wiill know how the ride is, and also a better indication whether the wheels will rub on the guards or not.

+1 big wheels and the jacked up look is not cool.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Laps » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:32 am

tangcla wrote:I would recommend you get springs sorted out first, because then you wiill know how the ride is, and also a better indication whether the wheels will rub on the guards or not.

I was just gonna do it all at once?

BTW lol, ozzy said they will do kmac (or kmax? :S) springs for $600. What quality are these springs?
Laps

Postby teK-- » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Laps wrote:
tangcla wrote:
BTW lol, ozzy said they will do kmac (or kmax? :S) springs for $600. What quality are these springs?

You're getting ripped off big time if you pay $600.00 for Kmac springs. I would only pay about half of that, if ever decided to fit Kmacs.
teK--
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Bling me up