Cosmetic Torque!

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Cosmetic Torque!

Postby Posseltperformance » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:03 pm

Hey Kids,
Had my 2005 3.0RB Wagon (auto) for 2 months now. I have a mod direction but am always welcome to more suggestions. I want a new front bumper as I really dislike the factory 3.0RB one. I am leaning towards Gialla at the moment due to its sporty nature and competitive price. Does any one have this bar fitted? pics?

I also desperately need more torque/low down power. I'm a Kart racer so I do a lot of towing (as far as Sdney to Coffs 500Km round trip). The 3.0 is a good engine and performs well when there isn't a trailer but trying to maintain 110Kmh up some of the giant hills on the F3 it doesn't cope. It kicks back to 3rd? and revs around the 5000rpm mark (if ya leave it on cruise that is). So My idea was a tune (thinking ecutek) and a full exhaust (including headers)

The only Mods to date are LED parkers and interior lights, and a JDM fly screen grill ($70 off ebay - and its better than the stock option)

Some of you know my previous car was a modded Toyota celsior (full kit, wheels, exhaust - the usual). Now thats a V8 so hence the struggle to drop down to a 6.

Let me know your thoughts.....

Ryan
2006 (pre-face lift) Atlantic Blue 3.0R Spec B + BajaDesigns Fuego driving lights
Posseltperformance

Car: 2006 Liberty Wagon 3.0RB

Re: Cosmetic Torque!

Postby smythie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:21 pm

well a full exhaust won't likely net you much gain in the low-mid range. Top end it probably would though. Depends on the exhaust shop. A good tune from a reputable tuner will most likely improve response, strength and economy. A 2-2.5" exhaust (no bigger I'd say for this NA) added for the tune might also improve things a bit. Unfortunately though, these things just don't have the mid range of the turbo's and so need lower gears and revs (which isn't all that bad-a thing IMO).

How heavy is your trailer by the way? You must have things loaded down really well to need 3rd (I presume your auto is the 5 speed) on any of the hills on the F3.
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Kevlar GT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:22 pm

Posseltperformance wrote:.... and a JDM fly screen grill ($70 off ebay - and its better than the stock option)

So the one that is on Jim's car? Nice.

The Vin Tune adds plenty of torque from all accounts but he is in Melbourne, but surely Pulse or some other Sydney tuning house could tinker with the 3lt for low down gains.
Kevlar GT

Car: 04 GT Wagon

Postby Posseltperformance » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for your input. The trailer is a 6' X 5' enclosed box filled with spares tools and one kart I've never had it weighed but I would imagine somewhere between 600kg and 800kg but aerodynamically its like pulling a brick wall. Its the big arse hill up from mooney mooney that does it.

It is the 5 speed so its knocking back two gears I can't imagine its good for anything to run that high revs for an extended period.

What Tuning shops in Sydney do we recommend? I've heard good things about MRT but I know there's some haters out there too
2006 (pre-face lift) Atlantic Blue 3.0R Spec B + BajaDesigns Fuego driving lights
Posseltperformance

Postby Adrian2627 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:00 pm

Reving the 3.0 isn't a problem unless you care about fuel economy. However with that trailer you'd be used to using juice anyway. I tow my 6x5 trailer loaded with downhill mountain bikes round the Victorian High Country and have never had an issue. When towing I always use the manual shift so it doesn't hunt going up hills. The V-Tune does make a difference. I had our Outback tuned a little over 12 months ago and imade the car so much better to drive especially with the trailer.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby smythie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:03 pm

considering the AVCS setup (only comes on cam at 4400rpm or something) and the fact that we have a 7000rpm redline I'd say that it isn't such a bad thing for these engines to be running hard most of the day (provided you are kind to it with oil changes more frequent than 12000km). The half minute or so up that hill isn't going to hurt it and might even help burn off some of the carbon deposits in the combustion chamber.

Now if you were concerned about fuel economy, it's a different matter.

I'm not going to get into recommending tuning houses as I have no personal experience with any of them.
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Posseltperformance » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Hey I know with the Gialla front Bar you can get fog lights or LED Driving lights from Gialla as the Subaru ones won't fit!

Has anyone seen these in operation and does anyone on this site have the Gialla Bar? Not sure how the LED day time driving lights would go thats all.

cheers
Posseltperformance

Postby Sentinel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Hey mate - I looked into some Gialla stuff back in may/june... shipping bombed me. From what I could ascertain, no-one here's got Gialla stuff.
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Return to Bling me up