new rims - opinions and photoshop help

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Re: new rims - opinions and photoshop help

Postby THERB3 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:09 am

Hi Guys,

Having a look and I dont mind the look at the Lenso's wheels that Arith found.

The question is how good are Lenso's or Rota wheels that are making copies of our premium wheel companys like Advan, Rays and Volk advertise on ebay ?

These copies look great but are they worth it. I am in market to purchase my second set of wheels and I dont wont to make that error.

Kind Regards.

Harry.
MY05 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0RB Silver 6MT

Modifications:
19" Rays/Volk GT30 Wheels :: Hi Tech Mufflers :: HKS Panel Filter :: STi Front Lip :: 6000K HID Driving/Fog Lights :: LED Parkers/Licence/Map/Dome :: Brembo Package :: V-Tune :: Tein Flex Coilovers & EDFC Controller :: HKC Carbon Bonnet Scoop :: Hanabi Smoked LED Rear Tail Lights :: Eyelids :: Goodridge Braided Lines :: JDM Front Bar :: Corazon Grille :: Pioneer AVH-X8650BT / Alpine PDX5 Amp

Current Plans:
Whiteline SwayBars ::
THERB3
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0RB Wagon

Postby Hotwire » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:39 am

THERB3 wrote:Hi Guys,

Having a look and I dont mind the look at the Lenso's wheels that Arith found.

The question is how good are Lenso's or Rota wheels that are making copies of our premium wheel companys like Advan, Rays and Volk advertise on ebay ?

These copies look great but are they worth it. I am in market to purchase my second set of wheels and I dont wont to make that error.

Kind Regards.

Harry.

Lenso's, Rota and many copies are good for their purpose - that is they'll improve the look of your car. Generally a copy wheel will be heavier than the original due to using inferior metals they require more of them to obtain the required wheel strength.

BUT in this instance, what do you want the wheels for? If you want new wheels to improve the look of your car without a noticeable peformance difference on the street then copies can be fine (accelleration may decrease by .2 or .3 of a sec for 0-100 but you wouldnt feel it). If you are planning on using your car at the track and unsprung weight is an issue for you, then genuine wheels are probably the way to go.

And with regard to the Tenzo Type M - they will not look like that in a liberty fitment! That is an 18x9.5" +25 wheel in that photo, and the 18x8 +45 has no dish to the spokes, and in fact the spoke sits proud of the rim - avoid at all cost!
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby Arith » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:12 am

Hotwire wrote:BUT in this instance, what do you want the wheels for? If you want new wheels to improve the look of your car without a noticeable peformance difference on the street then copies can be fine (accelleration may decrease by .2 or .3 of a sec for 0-100 but you wouldnt feel it). If you are planning on using your car at the track and unsprung weight is an issue for you, then genuine wheels are probably the way to go.

+1

I think the Lenso brand is a medium range brand. Not at the bottom of the scale but also not near the top either. It'll do for street applications. I mean, do you really need ultra light weight wheels for the street?

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby THERB3 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:16 am

I just made a phone call to a supplier in Sydney that stocks these wheels. He will get back to me on the sizes to fit the car and clear brembo's.

I will keep you posted with the outcome. (If he calls me back LOL)

Also it's sad how the popular WORK wheels dont come in 19's
MY05 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0RB Silver 6MT

Modifications:
19" Rays/Volk GT30 Wheels :: Hi Tech Mufflers :: HKS Panel Filter :: STi Front Lip :: 6000K HID Driving/Fog Lights :: LED Parkers/Licence/Map/Dome :: Brembo Package :: V-Tune :: Tein Flex Coilovers & EDFC Controller :: HKC Carbon Bonnet Scoop :: Hanabi Smoked LED Rear Tail Lights :: Eyelids :: Goodridge Braided Lines :: JDM Front Bar :: Corazon Grille :: Pioneer AVH-X8650BT / Alpine PDX5 Amp

Current Plans:
Whiteline SwayBars ::
THERB3
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0RB Wagon

Postby Arith » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:51 am

THERB3 wrote:Also it's sad how the popular WORK wheels dont come in 19's

From what I've noticed, most of the popular wheels from Japan top off at 18". I guess ideally 19's wouldn't be a popular choice for track/racing. :D

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby Sentinel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:18 pm

THERB3 wrote:I just made a phone call to a supplier in Sydney that stocks these wheels. He will get back to me on the sizes to fit the car and clear brembo's.

I will keep you posted with the outcome. (If he calls me back LOL)

Also it's sad how the popular WORK wheels dont come in 19's

I rang Tempe and a guy in SA that imports the Type M's. I had a set mocked onto my car but I felt that they were too busy for a black car. There are other options on the rim too BTW, red strip etc so look into that if you get serious about them. The previous comment about the offset it spot on - the spoke do stick out a bit. Oh, and I was told they didn't clear the nuggets. Good luck!
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby cyrus_b » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:19 pm

well it seems my opinions have changed... and my taste i sa bit expensive.....

anyone have any information on how best to source any Advan wheels to Melbourne?

I want 19"s - preferrably the RS model in a silver.

Another option thats been presented (significantly cheaper option) is B-Boss's new Georgia rim: http://www.bbosswheels.com/gallery2/pop.php?path=content/Subaru/Georgia/georgia-2_black_liberty.JPG&margin=10&posx=401&posy=200&popdisplay=1,0,0,0,0,1&lang=lang.ini

My problem seems to be i want 19" rather than 18" - and the range is not great for Subaru's in that size.

I know the 2 wheels are different styles, but i think you can see the 2 ways i could go - thin even spokes like the Advan's or the double cut wider spokes of the Vertini's or BBoss's.... As for quality of the wheel - i want something decent strendth and not a cheapo wheel, but its only for street so doesnt need to be light weight or performance geared etc...

thanks for any ensuing advice
cyrus_b

Postby smythie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:01 pm

Ultrex (see the Commercial For Sales) has an Advan RS style wheel available. Unfortunately for you though, they're only 18"
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Previous

Return to Bling me up