Custom cut Sunshields for Gen4 GT.

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Custom cut Sunshields for Gen4 GT.

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Looking at a couple of options for a front sunshield at the moment. The elcheapo ones from auto shops dont fit well so i decided to do a bit of research and came up with the below two companies that have offices in Australia. I would prefer to deal with someone local (by that i mean has an office in Australia) if i can.

http://www.westsunshades.com.au/models&prices.html
and
http://covercraft-pacificshop.com/winds ... ields.html

So, is anyone using either company's products? If so please share your experience. Thanks.
GT-B Spec R Pilot

Car: MY09 Liberty GT-B Spec R 17/50

Re: Custom cut Sunshields for Gen4 GT.

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 am

Yes, I've used West Sunshades twice now (once for my old Mercedes 190e, and more recently for the Lib). I can highly recommend them :).

It's funny how they're based in Tasmania (which I thought wasn't nearly as sunny as a lot of other places in Aus). Especially the harsh tropical of sun of North QLD where I am. But their Sunshade has held up to daily use for over 4 years now, with no major signs of wear (closer to 8 years for the Merc one, but it only gets used a few times a month).

They even went out to a dealership that had a 190E in their area, to make a template for me (since they didn't have one). Very helpful 8)
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby ynerdem » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 am

What would i be looking at price wise to get something made for my 04 gt wagon?
Any idea?
Thanks
ynerdem

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty GT Auto

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:30 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Yes, I've used West Sunshades twice now (once for my old Mercedes 190e, and more recently for the Lib). I can highly recommend them :).

It's funny how they're based in Tasmania (which I thought wasn't nearly as sunny as a lot of other places in Aus). Especially the harsh tropical of sun of North QLD where I am. But their Sunshade has held up to daily use for over 4 years now, with no major signs of wear (closer to 8 years for the Merc one, but it only gets used a few times a month).

They even went out to a dealership that had a 190E in their area, to make a template for me (since they didn't have one). Very helpful 8)

Thanks. That is exactly the feedback I was hoping for. West Sunshades just got themselves a new customer... Cheers
GT-B Spec R Pilot

Car: MY09 Liberty GT-B Spec R 17/50

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:35 pm

ynerdem wrote:What would i be looking at price wise to get something made for my 04 gt wagon?
Any idea?
Thanks

I paid about $50+postage for my 08 GT Wagon one (same windshield size across all Gen4 Libertys/Outbacks).
That was in about 2013, and all up incl postage it was $63.55. But I'm in North QLD so I'm further away from West Sunshades in Tasmanaia than a lot of people.

If you're in a sunny area, it's well worth the cost. They are a very good fit, so they sit flatter against the windscreen than generic size ones. And the material on mine has not disintegrated at all over the years. I've had a few bubbles form under the reflective aluminium outer section, but that's only cosmetic.
With most of our Gen4 dashboards melting & cracking, a good sunshade should at least help slow that down.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:39 pm

GT-B Spec R Pilot wrote:Thanks. That is exactly the feedback I was hoping for. West Sunshades just got themselves a new customer... Cheers

No problem :) . They already had a Gen4 Liberty/Outback windscreen template on file when I ordered mine, so they should be good to go.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby ynerdem » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks heaps for the reply.
I appreciate that.
Any chance of a picture of what it looks like. Its not much money but just want to see what it looks like before i go ahead with it :)
Thanks again.
ynerdem

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:10 pm

ynerdem wrote:Thanks heaps for the reply.
I appreciate that.
Any chance of a picture of what it looks like. Its not much money but just want to see what it looks like before i go ahead with it :)
Thanks again.

Sure, here is mine 8). Sorry for the bad pictures - it's hard to get an angle where it's not reflecting a lot.

It's just a typical silver reflective type, with a black cotton-strip stitched around the outside. It folds up into sections like most sun-shades, and has an elastic on the top to keep it together (seen in Pic3), and a fabric strip with Velcro on the bottom (seen in Picture2)

Pic1: It sits nice and flat, and uses the folded down sun-visors to hold it in place (like most sun shades are held in place). And because it's custom-made, it only has a tiny cut-out for the mirror. It's hard to see in the picture, but I made my cut-out a bit bigger last year so that it could sit around my dash cam.
You can see the few bubbles that have formed over the years, but it's still just as effective and it's not degrading the reflective lining.

Pic2: Mine has a grey fabric section down the bottom. Maybe to protect where it touches the dash?

P3: The Template Name for our cars, although that's pretty obvious.

Last edited by tom_kauf on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby ynerdem » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks heaps :)
ynerdem

Postby Bazwald » Fri May 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Grant at West Sunshades is fantastic bloke to deal with, got a custom one for my 3.0RB the other week and it fits beautifully!
Bazwald

Car: MY05 Manual GT

Return to Bling me up