05 Liberty GT wagon Basic Mods?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

05 Liberty GT wagon Basic Mods?

Postby Bugalugs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi Guys,

First of all this forum is amazing so glad I found it, wealth of knowledge! I have a stock 05 Liberty GT Auto Wagon purchased 6 months ago (my first Subi). I want to give it some pep but on a budget. From my research on this awesome forum I am thinking these things will give me the most bang for buck?? does this sound right? My budget is around $2500.

1) Dump Pipe (and maybe high flow Cat Converter section as well if affordable)
2) TMIC
3) Kido Tune

Any alternative suggestions or opinions are welcome! Also any suggestions of reputable workshop where I can get exhaust mods and a TMIC installed if they are infact my best options? Thanks a million for any tips I'm a Subi Noobi! :D
Phat Dump I TCP Quads I Kido Tune I HIDs I ...and loads of Plasti-dip
Bugalugs

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Re: 05 Liberty GT wagon Basic Mods?

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:54 am

Forget the TMIC and get a three port boost controler and a silicon inlet and throttle body hose. These mods will get you the most BFYB - You will also need the hoses for reliability. Possibly an aftermarket bypass valve if the stock is leaking (which they tend to do).
Other than that, that is perfect.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Bugalugs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks HardwareBoB!

Great info mate :D Will skip the TMIC altogether.
Just tried to get a dump pipe quote from Xforce but they don't do one for my model, only the cat back system. Any idea of a good alternative supplier in Sydney anyone? Thanks again
Bugalugs

Postby shav » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:54 am

A TMIC isn't a bad thing to have done but I'd do the other things first like Bob said for BFYB. The stock TMIC is fine for now.

As for dump pipe, try garage 88 or order from Pro Speed Racing or Street to Track for dump pipe and cat back options.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Bugalugs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:11 pm

shav wrote:A TMIC isn't a bad thing to have done but I'd do the other things first like Bob said for BFYB. The stock TMIC is fine for now.

As for dump pipe, try garage 88 or order from Pro Speed Racing or Street to Track for dump pipe and cat back options.

Thanks Shav and HardwareBoB :D
A PhatGT Dump pipe getting installed at garage88 next week.

I found this 3 port boost solonoid and silicon inlet, do these look like the right ones for my car? Pretty new Subaru owner trying to educate myself as quickly as possible, first turbo car I've owned too.

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/produc ... i-bl5.html

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/produc ... black.html

I could order these and have them put on when the dump pipe gets installed next week if they look like the right match, thanks do much for your help guys :D
Bugalugs

Postby Bugalugs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:17 pm

And this throttle body hose:

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/produc ... y-fxt.html

Are the silicon components just to give a tight seal? Guessing leaks = lost power. If These look correct could have my base budget upgrade finished by next weekend!!! Pumped :lol:
Bugalugs

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Yes, but g88 should be able to get them for you - Just let them know
The silicon intake will give you more power, but it's also for longevity - the stock intake pipe is garbage and will degrade over time. The throttle body hose is because the stock one will prolapse even on a stock engine.
The 3port BCS and the silicon hoses, along with the dump will allow you to get the most out of the rest of your stock setup - for most people, this is the perfect level of mods.
HardwareBoB

Postby shav » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:Yes, but g88 should be able to get them for you - Just let them know
The silicon intake will give you more power, but it's also for longevity - the stock intake pipe is garbage and will degrade over time. The throttle body hose is because the stock one will prolapse even on a stock engine.
The 3port BCS and the silicon hoses, along with the dump will allow you to get the most out of the rest of your stock setup - for most people, this is the perfect level of mods.

^^^ THIS. Although Ive still yet to replace my intake hose with a silicone one. I will probably when Matt returns in another 6 months.

I also have a pierburg 3port BCS as recommended by Matt (kido). Just allows more stable boost control through the rev range. But I hear Grimspeed are just as good.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Bugalugs » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:36 am

Thanks everyone work getting done this week. Dump pipe from Garage88, possible silicon inlet and 3 port if I can afford it and a Kido tune Friday. Let you know how it goes!!!

On a side note, Just had an earlier email returned from MRT. He strongly warned me against modifying the exhaust without also modifying the turbo, he said this: "A word of advice, I HOPE you did NOT change the exhaust UNLESS you ALSO changed the Turbo………………..". Has he got a point? Will the changed back pressure affect the tiny turbo or something? Have to admit, had got me wondering if the work I have booked is risky?! Any thoughts, thanks again!!
Bugalugs

Postby shav » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:12 am

I'm not sure what mrt are on about but I've fitted my invidia dump on my stock turbo and it bolted up fine and it was tuned fine. I assume that the g88 version is the same. If not it won't bolt up properly?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby jslayz » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:15 am

Bugalugs wrote:Thanks everyone work getting done this week. Dump pipe from Garage88, possible silicon inlet and 3 port if I can afford it and a Kido tune Friday. Let you know how it goes!!!

On a side note, Just had an earlier email returned from MRT. He strongly warned me against modifying the exhaust without also modifying the turbo, he said this: "A word of advice, I HOPE you did NOT change the exhaust UNLESS you ALSO changed the Turbo………………..". Has he got a point? Will the changed back pressure affect the tiny turbo or something? Have to admit, had got me wondering if the work I have booked is risky?! Any thoughts, thanks again!!

As long as it is tuned I don't see the issue....Strange recommendation but perhaps a way to sell a turbo?
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby blacktop™ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:26 am

^^^

Yeah I recon he's just trying to sell a turbo.

OP, just stay away from MRT. Seriously.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby HardwareBoB » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 am

The only reason to not do that is if you have future plans above 200kw because there is no larger turbo to suit the unique flange of the liberty twins scroll. A future upgrade to a kinugawa 19t or 20t will give you plenty of power at a street level unless you want to go crazy. He is clearly insane, a dump pipe is a simple and obvious mod to this car, and he has said so explicitly in his videos.
HardwareBoB

Postby andy_mac » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:51 am

Didn't know garage88 was doing twinscroll dumps. Got any specs on it?
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby Bugalugs » Fri May 01, 2015 10:20 pm

andy_mac wrote:Didn't know garage88 was doing twinscroll dumps. Got any specs on it?

Andy_Mac - Not too sure on specs give them a call. It looks like stainless to me and its got high flow cat and I know it has been ceramic coated.

Thanks everyone for your help on my posts !!!!!!!

Today I had 3 upgrades - PhatGT Dump pipe installed, Kido Tune and HID's installed :D :D :D

Results are amazing from just these two main things (Dump + Tune). Wouldn't recognise the car to drive it, she has really "come to life".

Matt was great and explained everything well. Main differences in driving now are:

1) The LONG throttle lag has gone. Now super responsive on stop/start take offs and low/mid rev range - she want's to go now!
2) Automatic gearbox changes are now super smooth, almost silent. Very different compared to before with jerky changes and box not selecting the right gear
3) POWER increase is very noticeable and has steady power throughout the rev range. If I remember what Matt said correctly - it went from the stock tune 14.3 psi/3700 rpm down to 17.3 psi/2500 rpm after it was tweaked
4) Fuel economy dropped straight after the tune and I was giving it stick too. Went from 12L/100 before to 9.5L/100 after the tune. Early days still, I have only done 100km since tune but reset odometer and definitely recorded an instant drop post tune.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with tips and links over the past few weeks, great forum, super helpful.

Now to take a deep breath and enjoy the new tweaks for a few weeks before getting anything else done :lol:
Bugalugs

Next

Return to Bling me up