Black 3.0r

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Black 3.0r

Postby Nooobness » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Hey guys! :)

I've got a pre Fl black 3.0r, which is completely stock

There's a couple of things that I intend to do to it, and i need your pro tips

1) New wheels:
Looking for Rota G force in 18x8.5 in Hyper black
should i go for 18x9 for a more agressive look?
Planning to get 235/40/18 Kuhmo KU31 tyres on it
I know i'll need to roll my rear guards, but i reckon i can get away without rolling front?

2) New suspension
If i'm gonna get new wheels and roll my guards, do u guys reckon i should do suspension at the same time so i wont need to roll them twice?

Also, can you guys recommend a decent suspension/coilovers that i should consider buying?

3) Exhaust mods
Looking to release the 3.0r sound. Thinking of just getting a cat back and potententially resonator delete.
Do you guys think that is a good idea to maximise sound without having to change the whole system?
And again, can you recommend some good exhaust system that isnt too pricy

4) Front lip spoiler
Ive had a look at the ultrex front lip spoilers. tbh, i reckon it doesnt look fantastic on a 3.0r pre fl. Any other solutions?

5) Minor cosmetic changes
Wanting to remove my tow bar because it's spoils the look! Worthwhile? or should i just keep it on. Good protection against rear endings! :D

Looking forward to some pro tips! You dont need to necessarily answer every point; only if you want
Feel free to just answer whatever you feel like. And please express your opinions on the mods im considering if you think it's a good idea

THANKS AGAIN :D

Jon!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
20% window tint | 6000K Xenon lights | LED parkers/numberplate lights
XXR 527 Rims 18x8.75+35 | Kuhmo Escta LeSport 225/40/18 | Rolled guards
KiDo Tuned | Ultrex mufflers | Brembo slotted/drilled front discs
Nooobness

Car: '05 3.0r
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27972

Re: Black 3.0r

Postby Swan_Liberty » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:17 pm

exhaust wise headers will give you the best breathing and then just get some new mufflers because the stock ones are massive and cut out a huge amount of noise
Swan_Liberty

Car: PreLift 3.0RB Sedan

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 pm

First thing you should do is get the car tuned (Matt at KiDo tuning does a hell of a tune for the 3.0). Immediately makes the car about a bazillion times more fun to drive without screwing your fuel efficiency. If you then get a catback exhaust system and get the third cat deleted you'll have the noise you're looking for. Depending on how cheaply you can source your parts you can get all that done for around the 1400 dollar mark.
TheMightyGonzo

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Wagon

Postby SegR » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:50 pm

I agree the lip is questionable on the pre-facelift 3.0r. You could consider a front skirt instead:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27009
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby Moeeyy_ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 am

The lip definitely looks better than the skirt imo. I think you might be more appreciative of the lip if you saw it in real life :)

As for wheels, honestly if you want to be unique go for something a bit less common than Rotas.. Work Emotion XD9/XT7 or CR Kiwami's give me massive hardon's, but might be a bit out of your budget.

If not, have a look at Koya wheels, they make something that looks exactly like the CR Kiwami's except cheaper, with custom offsets. Probably sacrifices on the strength of the wheel though. Also look at XXR's (see Renan_don's car) which looks tits.

Whatever you do, don't rush when into purchasing your wheels. Find the perfect ones for you, and maybe by that time you would've saved up a bit more :)

When it comes to fitment, if you want it aggressive you should look at offset and wideness, theres a great thread on here that explains it all in the wheels and tyres section.
18x9 +35 might be a mission to fit if you don't want dramas, will probably need rolled guards and a bit of camber. 18x8.5 +44 is the way to go (for the G-forces) for a stress free fitting, and definitely good for the 235 tyres you have. HOWEVER we do have members who have done it, for example zch91 :)

I put my wheels on before I lowered my car, no rolled guards or anything and I didn't scrub at all, I rolled my guards (all 4) and lowered it and I scrub a lot more at the front than at the back, and my real wheel is tucked into my guard. You're better off rolling all four, I'm even thinking of pulling my guards out as i scrub too much and i've done as much negative camber as i can. I'm running 19x8.5 +44 with 235/35/19 tyres.

Good luck man and you'll find all the info you need on this site !!
Moeeyy_

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty Spec.B 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25728

Postby Nooobness » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:29 pm

TheMightyGonzo wrote:First thing you should do is get the car tuned (Matt at KiDo tuning does a hell of a tune for the 3.0). Immediately makes the car about a bazillion times more fun to drive without screwing your fuel efficiency. If you then get a catback exhaust system and get the third cat deleted you'll have the noise you're looking for. Depending on how cheaply you can source your parts you can get all that done for around the 1400 dollar mark.

hey nick! thanks for your advice
I'm keen to look into tuning, but probably further down the track. My acceleration seems a bit sluggish at the moment and there's a bit of a delay

I agree about the cat back/3rd cat delete. saw a video on youtube and it sounds brutal!
Any particular cat back u recommend?

Cheers
Jon :lol: :lol:
Nooobness

Postby Nooobness » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:37 pm

SegR wrote:I agree the lip is questionable on the pre-facelift 3.0r. You could consider a front skirt instead:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27009

Hey bro! yeh i've seen that skirt before. Never seen it done on a black lib before. I wonder how it'd turn out
On the other hand, lip might be a bit more conservative. Tough choice though!! :lol:

Moeeyy_ wrote:The lip definitely looks better than the skirt imo. I think you might be more appreciative of the lip if you saw it in real life :)

As for wheels, honestly if you want to be unique go for something a bit less common than Rotas.. Work Emotion XD9/XT7 or CR Kiwami's give me massive hardon's, but might be a bit out of your budget.

If not, have a look at Koya wheels, they make something that looks exactly like the CR Kiwami's except cheaper, with custom offsets. Probably sacrifices on the strength of the wheel though. Also look at XXR's (see Renan_don's car) which looks tits.

Whatever you do, don't rush when into purchasing your wheels. Find the perfect ones for you, and maybe by that time you would've saved up a bit more :)

When it comes to fitment, if you want it aggressive you should look at offset and wideness, theres a great thread on here that explains it all in the wheels and tyres section.
18x9 +35 might be a mission to fit if you don't want dramas, will probably need rolled guards and a bit of camber. 18x8.5 +44 is the way to go (for the G-forces) for a stress free fitting, and definitely good for the 235 tyres you have. HOWEVER we do have members who have done it, for example zch91 :)

I put my wheels on before I lowered my car, no rolled guards or anything and I didn't scrub at all, I rolled my guards (all 4) and lowered it and I scrub a lot more at the front than at the back, and my real wheel is tucked into my guard. You're better off rolling all four, I'm even thinking of pulling my guards out as i scrub too much and i've done as much negative camber as i can. I'm running 19x8.5 +44 with 235/35/19 tyres.

Good luck man and you'll find all the info you need on this site !!

cheers moey! i long for the day where i see a really nicely modded 3.0!! that being said, i rarely even see 3.0r's on the road anyway. it's mainly GT's
that's why im keen to make mine unique

only at uni at the moment still, but when i start working, hopefully i can do some bigger projects on my car! Gonna just stick to the "essentials" at the moment: ie: rims, exhaust, suspension, lip

Oh that's interesting that your front scrubs more! When i look at my car, i anticipated the rears to scrub more. But when i chuck the rims on, ill see how it runs first :)

Planning to get the wheels fitted on in about 3 weeks time. Will update u guys with some nice pics :D

Thanks again!!

If there's any more advice from anyone else, keep it rolling! I appreciate it! :wink:
Nooobness

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:28 am

Nooobness wrote:
I'm keen to look into tuning, but probably further down the track. My acceleration seems a bit sluggish at the moment and there's a bit of a delay

I agree about the cat back/3rd cat delete. saw a video on youtube and it sounds brutal!

Cheers

I went with a 2.25 inch mild steel catback from XForce, and I absolutely love the thing. Only about 600 bucks if you get it from best mufflers.com.

As for looking at tuning down the track, I can guarantee that you'll consider it money well spent. My car got retuned while completely stock, and it was still a dramatic difference. The lag before 4200rpm just vanishes, and your fuel efficiency actually improves.

Good luck mate,

-nick
TheMightyGonzo

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Wagon

Postby nhimsta » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Tune and exhaust ....
MY 06 spec B ----- sold
New Ride: MY 07 XT Forester Luxury
Toque Performance Tuned
nhimsta

Car: MY06 3.0R b-spec

Postby Nooobness » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:50 pm

TheMightyGonzo wrote:
Nooobness wrote:

Cheers

I went with a 2.25 inch mild steel catback from XForce, and I absolutely love the thing. Only about 600 bucks if you get it from best mufflers.com.

As for looking at tuning down the track, I can guarantee that you'll consider it money well spent. My car got retuned while completely stock, and it was still a dramatic difference. The lag before 4200rpm just vanishes, and your fuel efficiency actually improves.

Good luck mate,

-nick

Hey nick!
I had a look at the X force cat back sound clip on youtube and it sounds beautiful! gonna order it soon! Wish it had a little bit more bark though! sounds a bit suppressed at the high RPM's
https://www.bestmufflers(dot)com/bshop/product_info.php?cPath=119_346_484_1013&products_id=4631&osCsid=47c5b7482adb55cb73cebb5bf8301324

nhimsta wrote:Tune and exhaust ....

Yes sir! Will do the exhaust first then tune later down the track :)
Nooobness

Postby Nooobness » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:52 pm

another thing i've noticed is that my sub is blown :oops:

Will this 8" JBL 804 fit in place of my current McIntosh?

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO804-Reduce ... B000FHAXPA

Ive had a look at the sub installation thread but i think i'll get someone to install it for me haha!

And in terms of rims, I'm still so indecisive as to what rims to get. Probably because im really picky

Currently my options are:
- Rota G Force 18x8.5x44 gunmetallic
- Rota PWR-FA 18x8.5x44 gunmetallic
- Takumas RSO 19x8.5 (cant seem to find them anywhere. heard they've stopped selling them?)

However, im not really completely satisfied with their look.

The best case scenario is a set of used Advan connoisseur 151c's, but they're still way out of my budget

So far ive had a look at but dont like the look:
- XXR's
- Koyas

So essentially my question is, can anyone recommend some rims that are a similar design to the Advan 151c's, and are around the $1000 budget?

Btw apologies that ive been asking a lot of questions on the forums but am yet to do any big mods. My plan is to do all of them at once so i want to be well informed/prepared
Then ill post some eye candy pics for you guys to enjoy :)

Thanks guys :)

Jon
Nooobness

Postby nhimsta » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 am

Hey mate , xforce system is great ,together with high flow cats and raptor headers ,trust me mate it sound Barky and gets better as the system beds in and carbons up a bit....then tune and run the corn juice....
5 second car (0-100kph)if you can change the gears quick enough :lol:
Oh the fun ...goodluck
MY 06 spec B ----- sold
New Ride: MY 07 XT Forester Luxury
Toque Performance Tuned
nhimsta

Car: MY06 3.0R b-spec

Return to Bling me up