JDM V10 STi EJ207 - To forge or not to forge...

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

JDM V10 STi EJ207 - To forge or not to forge...

Postby Sean82 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi all,

I've just secured a JDM EJ207 from a 2013 GVF STi.
Comes with VF49 (basically a twin scroll VF48), the large GR/GV STi TMIC and those thick cylinder walls (13 mm all round).

Now, I want to know...Should I put forged pistons and better rods in it now while it's out and in pieces just in case I decide to (attempt to) catch J, Ian, Mick, etc. in the big horsepower stakes? I've decided to do at least head studs now, so I'm doing those.

Really, this is almost solely directed at Mick as he's the only person I know of running this engine (basically), but I decided to ask publicly in case of others getting their hands on the same engine and wondering the same thing (Kris at Rising Sun tells me he'll be able to get ahold of these more easily now as the GVs are now starting to make their way to the wreckers...)

Thanks for the input everyone :D

Cheers
Sean..
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Re: JDM V10 STi EJ207 - To forge or not to forge...

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri May 23, 2014 9:24 pm

The walls are bulletproof, but the pistons on an EJ are usually the weakest point.

I remember Mick was having the same debate as the spec c pistons were meant to be a little better than normal. I wonder if he got a hold of some official figures, but I know he ended up going to forged.

If you do go forged and you're planning to keep the car for a few years - go Cosworth. Closer fit, better design = quieter and more durable than anything else. My forged block sounds as quiet, if not quieter than my old stock one. :good:
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby jslayz » Fri May 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi Sean,

Am running manley forged pistons n turbo tuff rods, my motor is a noisy basterd but I beat the shit out of it at every opportunity...
They are strong apparently 8) :twisted:
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby dr20t » Fri May 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Don't touch it

Leave it alone

My block is completely stock including the pistons. Only thing I have is headstuds. There's nothing wrong with the factory pistons. They are not like the cast (glass) ej255 pistons nor are they the same as the poorly designed ej257 piston.

Two engine builders I trust in this country with EJ motors and that's about it. As soon as you split those cases, you have pretty much pissed one of the two major benefits of this motor up the wall. The factory assembly is stronger than any other aftermarket assembly bar the best engine builders. And the two builders with proper EJ torque plates are not cheap.

Infact to do it properly is not cheap at all. Drop ins are shit. Clearances are wrong for ej207 on big boost/ timing / cylinder pressures.

Off the shelf forged pistons are all made for ej205 or ej255/257. Piston design is not even close. No one listens when I ramble about this though. I sound like a mad man.

If I ever do build my engine further it will be with custom made forged pistons, custom made rods and the stock spec c crank. No sleeving, no close decking or anything like that. And one of those two people I would get to do it is near you.

Per various pm's between us, this is the duck's guts of the EJ series, second only to the fa motors in my opinion. Yes I'm biased.

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Sean82 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:23 am

jslayz wrote:Hi Sean,

Am running manley forged pistons n turbo tuff rods, my motor is a noisy basterd but I beat the shit out of it at every opportunity...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I plan to do the same, J :twisted: :twisted:

Mick: thanks man! I honestly could not remember if you'd gone for different pistons (and PMs got cleaned out a few weeks ago :( ). I was pretty sure you hadn't touched the donk 'cept for the head studs, which is what I'm doing :D
This confirms where the extra cash I have sitting round for a "built engine" will be headed...BOOOOOOST! :twisted:

And as I said, with more of these engines likely to become available, make it public knowledge how plug-n-play-n-punish these engines can be.

FYI, because in the NASIOC EJ207 thread no one could confirm that the thick-ass cylinder walls are in the "regular" STi donk too (and not just hand-made ones like yours Mick), I actually cheered aloud when I lifted the first head off. Kris looked and me called me a fkwit, but I don't care 8)
I'm seriously happy as a pig in shit right now knowing I can get bigger turbo straight up and not worry hahahaha
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby senator » Tue May 27, 2014 9:23 am

Always best to leave a blue printed build alone……. Especially when you can see the results Captain happy gas (DR20T) has achieved.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue May 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Sean82 wrote:
jslayz wrote:Hi Sean,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I plan to do the same, J :twisted: :twisted:

Mick: thanks man! I honestly could not remember if you'd gone for different pistons (and PMs got cleaned out a few weeks ago :( ). I was pretty sure you hadn't touched the donk 'cept for the head studs, which is what I'm doing :D
This confirms where the extra cash I have sitting round for a "built engine" will be headed...BOOOOOOST! :twisted:

And as I said, with more of these engines likely to become available, make it public knowledge how plug-n-play-n-punish these engines can be.

FYI, because in the NASIOC EJ207 thread no one could confirm that the thick-ass cylinder walls are in the "regular" STi donk too (and not just hand-made ones like yours Mick), I actually cheered aloud when I lifted the first head off. Kris looked and me called me a fkwit, but I don't care 8)
I'm seriously happy as a pig in shit right now knowing I can get bigger turbo straight up and not worry hahahaha

Even Roger Clarke Motorsports are selling the new GRB 207's as upgraded motors for anyone with an EJ20 of any kind.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Return to Bling me up