DAMD Steering Wheels

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

DAMD Steering Wheels

Postby mynameisdaniel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Decided this is happening. I'm still not decided on the D or O shape though...

Would love to hear from anyone's experiences using the D shaped wheel. I use the car for events like gymkhana that require lock to lock turning, plus I need to go lock to lock reversing out of my driveway so not sure how hard it is to palm the wheel around quickly?

Also, if anyone knows of a good place to get them for a good price please share :) (After a black leather with red stitch wheel, probably D shaped...)
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Re: DAMD Steering Wheels

Postby jaydece » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:Decided this is happening. I'm still not decided on the D or O shape though...

Would love to hear from anyone's experiences using the D shaped wheel. I use the car for events like gymkhana that require lock to lock turning, plus I need to go lock to lock reversing out of my driveway so not sure how hard it is to palm the wheel around quickly?

Also, if anyone knows of a good place to get them for a good price please share :) (After a black leather with red stitch wheel, probably D shaped...)

G88 for me....no doubt....fast shipping and great communication 110%..I think I paid $660.00 from memory...

Toke me a while to get use to the D shape....turning takes getting use to...I think its personal preference in the end...

If your using the palm of your hand then I guess D shape is not for you....
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby mynameisdaniel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks, hoping to get it a bit cheaper as I've found I can beat their prices by quite a bit if I look hard enough :)

Yeah heard people say you just get used to it. Does turning with your palm simply not work or is it just a little harder?
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby Robbks » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:01 pm

I've driven with a D wheel before and as I don't palm the wheel myself it was no issue,
if i needed a heap of lock, i'd grab the bottom corners of the wheel and reef on it.
It felt better for me as i knew where the wheel was by the feel of where the flat bit was,
so you can let it spin back "freely" (still some palm pressure on the face of the wheel) and catch it when you need to.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:14 pm

+1^

Ultimately, I say it comes down to whether you'll be going a quick rack or not.
If you have a quick rack, e.g. 2.4 turns or faster you're unlikely to need to palm or swap hands on any course (based on my research).

My alacantara PROVA D doesn't really suit palming as its a little grippy and I'd hate to damage the finish anyway.

But the corner areas at 4 and 7 o'clock would provide a nice pivot point for palming, I've tried it too.

It's still taking some getting used to, especially the feel of thumb cutouts at 3 and 9 o'clock, but its definitely good getting used to.
I think you'd be very happy with either shape wheel.

If price is an issue, perhaps ask jessesstreeter.com for a quote, or just go G88 for the local support.
The S/H DAMD D for $400 recently was a good buy but very well used.
Going rate S/H and in EC is like $550+ so in the end it was worth it for me just to buy BNIB at a good price via Jesse and fully enjoy the newness. :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Bling me up