Head lights for Gen3 B4?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Head lights for Gen3 B4?

Postby SmokinScoobs » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Bought a Gen 3 2001 Liberty B4, but the lights are some blue globe looking things and they suck, especially for the country driving I do. I kind of don't mind the blue tint a little, but yeah, too dim. I have an Adelaide-Alice Springs trip coming up, next month, and need these before then.

What do I need to upgrade them to something brighter. I've read a little about HID's, but I'm really none the wiser as to reflectors and projectors, and glare as per outlined in another thread that I read that linked to this article:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I'd rather have brightness and distance, over bling and glare if you know what I mean.
Would go for the whole kit, i.e. High, Low, Fogs and parkers to make it look and perform better if that is recommended.

Any help appreciated,
Cheers!
SmokinScoobs

Car: 2001 Liberty B4

Re: Head lights for Gen3 B4?

Postby cruisn » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 am

Replace with the Phillips Extreme Vision globes if you do a lot of night driving in the Outback.

Aftermarket HID kits will be a step backwards.
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby sheppo9 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 am

Set of spot/driving lights?
sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Postby SmokinScoobs » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Cheers for that guys.
What are the specific globe types? This seems to be quite an easy question google can't answer. I mean seriously, if you're new to sub's, try googling generation 3 or BE subaru headlight liberty/legacy type?
So, what? H7's for high beams? H4's for low?
Guidance on the parkers and foglights specifications sought?
Is there a complete kit I can get?

I noticed that there are spotlights you can get to go in the foglight site, but I'm not sure I want to give up the foglights as I live in Adelaide and occasionally need them

Yeah, Sheppo, I actually jumped the gun and bought some Hella Comet 450's with the intention of keeping the blue lights and mounting them in the lower radiator "slot" in the bumper bar (maybe 1 only as I don't want to restrict the air intake too much). I still might do this, but I now actually want the headlights themselves to run properly, as well.
SmokinScoobs

Postby SmokinScoobs » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 pm

lol, f*** me, you know you're part of the internet generation when you turn to google before you actually dig out your bloody owners manual! :roll: :lol:

Subaru Gen3 headlights (for the googlers)

Low beams: H7
High beams: H1U
Parking Light: W5W
Fog Light: H3

Happy for the Fogs to stay a bit "yellower" if that is recommended.

What would I get to whiten up the parking lights?
SmokinScoobs

Postby kiwigene » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:37 pm

T10 LEDs for park lights. eBay is your friend...
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby t00thPIK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi,
Is there any difference between H1 and H1U globes?

http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/store/cate ... ing/h1-448

cheers
t00thPIK

Car: 2003 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5

Postby SmokinScoobs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:04 pm

There doesn't seem to be. the phillips ones I bought and fitted just have H1 written on them.
SmokinScoobs

Postby Adrian2627 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:03 am

No matter what you do to Gen 3 lights they will still suck. Put brighter globes in, you'll get the shots with people flashing you but not much better vision. I tried everything out there for my Gen 3 when I had it and was living in Jindabyne. Get a light bar, and a set of Lightforce 170 Strikers, I think they're called. There is so much light leakage from Gen 3 lights, goes everywhere except forwards, you'll never be happy.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby _the_mechanic » Wed May 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Thread revival...

I dissagree, i installed the B4 hid headlights on my 3rd gen... best decision i ever made... cut off lines are clearly visible, minimal light leakage and a better color light... next step is a set of h1 Philips high beam globes and h3 foglight globes... i did also invest in 2 light bars (20" for the front bar 40" on the roof basket) for my time at the snow and late night freeway driving...
_the_mechanic

Car: 2002 liberty rx wagon

Postby fedaykin » Thu May 28, 2015 5:26 pm

_the_mechanic wrote:Thread revival...

I dissagree, i installed the B4 hid headlights on my 3rd gen... best decision i ever made... cut off lines are clearly visible, minimal light leakage and a better color light... next step is a set of h1 Philips high beam globes and h3 foglight globes... i did also invest in 2 light bars (20" for the front bar 40" on the roof basket) for my time at the snow and late night freeway driving...

Japanese OEM HIDs housings? Of course they're good, they're factory!
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby _the_mechanic » Thu May 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Yeah, the factory ones... definitely worth the money... i done an aftermarket HID kit in my cressida... that was terrible... but as these are designed to be HID, i would suggest highly to invest in them... the wiring that i found on this forum for the leveling switch and the headlights was pretty straight forward too...
_the_mechanic

Car: 2002 liberty rx wagon

Postby Wheelbarrow74 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:34 am

_the_mechanic wrote:Thread revival...

Hey what are the part numbers for the OEM HID's headlights?
Wheelbarrow74

Car: Liberty B4

Postby fedaykin » Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 am

Slapping a PnP HID into your halogen headlights (especially reflectors) will result is shit output, as you have found. Sort of like pouring Avgas into a diesel engine.

Assuming the late model headlight?
http://jp-carparts.com/subaru/partlist. ... fig_id=840

I'd jump onto YAJ and look for レガシー HID, then jump onto Jesse Streeter's website, sign up and bid yourself (or email Jesse and get him to bid/buy for you).
e.g.: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/sea ... 0&slider=0

*edit* Fark so cheap! ¥3,000 for a pair of good condition, includes everything. I paid ¥15,000 for meh condition Tarago/Estima ones!
Make sure you have a good look at the picture, check for broken tabs/mounts and lens condition. Also make sure that they come with all covers and the ballasts (square thing on the bottom).
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby sekay1994 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Hey guys, just bought an 04 liberty today.

Any recommendations on which low beams to get? I wanted the most white/blue (poor man xenons) i can get. Have Xenon in my Stagea and love it.

I'm looking at Narva Blue plus or even Super cheap autos home brand

Cheers!
sekay1994

Next

Return to Bling me up