Gen5 Mods

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Gen5 Mods

Postby Beanbag Brad » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi all,

After a quick sqizz with some other ACT members today I believe the mod bug has really bit me hard.Well good news is I've sold my last car, cash should be rolling in any day now so I've got a good.... 5k to spend on her..

She's completely stock mechanically so I'd like to go for bang for buck. I'm not mechanically minded as this is my first 'performance' car so your help would be greatly appreciated.

So far my list is (in order of priority):
Tune(KiDo is coming soon to ACT, so need these done asap!)
Exhaust (Xforce 3" or custom one from Techworkz in Canberra.)
TMIC (No idea where to look for one.)
CAI (more for the sound.... Any good brands)
19mm Cusco Rear Sways
Strut Brace (sti)

Does this sound like a good start performance wise? And reckon I could get the lot for 5k?
[MY10 Liberty GT Sedan, 6MT, Black]
Beanbag Brad

Car: GenV Liberty GT Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19845

Re: Gen5 Mods

Postby SYM » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi Brad

personal preference/weighting for sound vs performance would be a key factor, and everyone has their own preference

heres what I'd do if I were to do it again (note this is based on a 65/35 weighting of preference for performance vs sound, and chasing bang for buck).....and good news is you've got most of the items already on your list!

costs are rough as guts guestimates.... also need to factor in labour

1) For handling - I'd go LCA bushes and STI springs and rear sways over the STI strut brace (that can come later) - say $1500-1700
2) Dump pipe $1200
3) Tune (ideally after DP) $400
4) Then rest on nice exhaust.......ive got NFI on this, $1500(?) seems reasonable

I wouldnt go the CAI, as i personally dont value the "sound" (but thats me!)
[ MY10 Liberty GT Wagon ] : Powered by HKS | STi | KiDo | Cusco | Valenti | Crystal Eye | F&R Brembo BBK, cruisn style :mrgreen:

Pics | Jack Moss' awesome Prototype photography of the GT | MY10 LGT early days, and Most Recent pics
Vids | SYM Member Profile video | Our slick club.lib #bandbacktogether video plus Various other club.liberty vid compilations
SYM
-stickered-

Car: MY10 LGT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124

Postby hks180 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 pm

Brad ... AVO just released the top mount for Gen 5.... :wink:
[TEAM FUNERAL]
HID & LED >> CLICK HERE
hks180

Postby Beanbag Brad » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 pm

SYM wrote:Hi Brad

personal preference/weighting for sound vs performance would be a key factor, and everyone has their own preference

heres what I'd do if I were to do it again (note this is based on a 65/35 weighting of preference for performance vs sound, and chasing bang for buck).....and good news is you've got most of the items already on your list!

costs are rough as guts guestimates.... also need to factor in labour

1) For handling - I'd go LCA bushes and STI springs and rear sways over the STI strut brace (that can come later) - say $1500-1700
2) Dump pipe $1200
3) Tune (ideally after DP) $400
4) Then rest on nice exhaust.......ive got NFI on this, $1500(?) seems reasonable

I wouldnt go the CAI, as i personally dont value the "sound" (but thats me!)

Hmmmm yeah good suggestions, the full xforce 3" is $1295, I'd do the installation myself. But I'd want to get it silenced (no idea on costs here) and probably some metal work to get the tips looking how I want them.

What do bushes do? And how do they benefit over just having a rear sway (+ STI springs).

I like the suction noise, but I don't like it too loud and constant (my mate has an r32 skyline and his is way too noisy) would prefer to just hear the turbo spooling louder! (bad description I know, don't know much about cars.)

hks180 wrote:Brad ... AVO just released the top mount for Gen 5.... :wink:

hmmmmmmmmm I might have to get on this Leo!
Beanbag Brad

Postby SYM » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi Brad

An informative thread on the front lower arm control bushes (LCA) here
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5481

"These bushes will increase steering feel, sharpness, and give a firmer feel on the road.
Like many other replacement bushes on the market, you will feel a bit more of the road through the steering wheel."

Slight increase in road noise and feel through the steering wheel, but the payoff is sharper steering feel
[ MY10 Liberty GT Wagon ] : Powered by HKS | STi | KiDo | Cusco | Valenti | Crystal Eye | F&R Brembo BBK, cruisn style :mrgreen:

Pics | Jack Moss' awesome Prototype photography of the GT | MY10 LGT early days, and Most Recent pics
Vids | SYM Member Profile video | Our slick club.lib #bandbacktogether video plus Various other club.liberty vid compilations
SYM
-stickered-

Car: MY10 LGT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124

Postby Beanbag Brad » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 am

SYM wrote:Hi Brad

An informative thread on the front lower arm control bushes (LCA) here
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5481

"These bushes will increase steering feel, sharpness, and give a firmer feel on the road.
Like many other replacement bushes on the market, you will feel a bit more of the road through the steering wheel."

Slight increase in road noise and feel through the steering wheel, but the payoff is sharper steering feel

Thanks for that! I'l have to have a think about what I'm doing with the suspension.. I'm very touchy when it comes to it... Lets just say I've been scarred for life when a friend decided to completely remove his suspension on his holden rodeo for moar low.... I should probably get my back checked...

I'll probably end up just doing rear sway + strut brace as I REALLY don't want to compromise the ride. I guess if I don't notice much of a change after those I'll move on to bigger things!! First things first, exhaust, TMIC(maybe) and tune :)
Beanbag Brad

Postby Zaccy182 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I wouldn't get the CAI if you don't want the turbo noise to be too loud... If your car has a resonator somewhere is just remove that and get a k&n panel filter or something like that... I noticed a nice turbo spool noise increase after putting in my filter :)

Rear sway bar would do wonders for you and not compromise the 'bump in the road' feel :). Also you could install yourself. Mick at Techworkz isn't that cheap when it comes to fabrication - he is good but you pay for it! It's easier and cheaper to buy off the shelf bolt on goodies. As for getting it quieter there are a few good exhaust places around I would recommend the place in fyshwick - paggaz used them - I haven't yet :).

I got my LCA bushes put in by mick but out of necessity lol I'm not sure what brand he used but I have a pretty good road feel through the wheel and its a long life product :)
[ 05 Liberty GT 5MT Wagon ]
240,000kms -mostly stock- going strong
Tune by Matt from KiDo | COBB short shifter + kartboy bushings | Whiteline sway bars | GFB respons BOV | K&N panel filter | eBay 3" cat-back to 2.5" Y pipe exhaust | 8000k HIDs | Lenso 17" Project D Spec B wheels
Zaccy182

Car: 05 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18204

Postby twpanson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Consider below when you have some extra cash.

http://www.valentijapan.com/products/jltl_legacy.html

twpanson

Car: Subaru Legacy Wagon BP5

Postby Beanbag Brad » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:01 am

twpanson wrote:Consider below when you have some extra cash.

http://www.valentijapan.com/products/jltl_legacy.html

I would definitely drop cash on some new rear lights... If you had them for sedans!
Beanbag Brad

Return to Bling me up