WRX SPT Boost gauge into Liberty... Result? P.O.S.

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

WRX SPT Boost gauge into Liberty... Result? P.O.S.

Postby paggaz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm looking at getting a second hand SPT Boost gauge for fairly cheap...less than half the price listed on the website below.
Specifically this model: http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/shop/pc/v ... tegory=336

It's a "plug and play" installation for the 08+ WRX/Sti & 2010 Forester XT.
The "plug and play" harness connects to the dimmer switch and the clock....Does anybody know if those connections be the same as the Gen4 Liberty??

If you need more description, this is how it is installed on a WRX http://www.youtube.com/watch?client=mv- ... =mbcvux2zm
Last edited by paggaz on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paggaz

Car: 2007 GT Spec.B Wagon Silver
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17423#p241526

Re: WRX SPT Boost gauge into Liberty... Result? P.O.S.

Postby paggaz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Just an update to this thread:

Bought this second hand SPT boost gauge anyway and received it today. All I can say was I'm glad I didn't pay much for it.
Was a bit sceptical though when I first saw it. With a gauge not connected, it should automatically be set to zero, however this one was at 5psi. It looked pretty decent other than that.
Anyway I went on to install it anyway because of the slight chance that it might just be "sticky" and need a few revolutions by getting a bit of boost in the system.

As for plug and play, it plugged, but didn't play (as expected). Unlike the WRX (and I assume prefacelift Libs because they have the trip computer there), the post facelift liberty doesn't have a wire in the clock plug for 12V in the "ON" position, I just tapped into the wire one next to it which is the 12V ACC wire, meaning the gauge turns on in ACC rather than ON. I'll fix this later, when I have the chance. I expected that sort of thing anyway since it's made specifically for WRX so that wasn't a problem for me.

So I got it installed, went for a drive - lots of boost and off boost to try to free the needle and get it to stay at 0psi when off. But as feared, the gauge "zero" calibration is actually on 5psi, meaning every readout was 5psi higher than real pressure.

My main issue is why the hell did SPT (Made in USA) make such a POS gauge!? What's the point in a gauge which isn't accurate, or accurately calibrated? I'd probably get a more accurate reading from a $20 eBay gauge.
Pretty annoyed and disappointed about that...
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how it went.
Wouldn't recommend the SPT gauge to anybody.
paggaz

Postby HyRax » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 pm

I used to use Defi gauges when I had a WRX. Very nice, but also a little pricey. I guess you pay for what you get these days.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby 3rspecb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 am

You bought a second hand gauge that is not working properly and instead of querying the previous owner, you blame the manufacturer for a shite product.

Am I missing something :?
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby bosc0 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:41 am

3rspecb wrote:Am I missing something :?

A boost guage? :lol:
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby paggaz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:24 am

3rspecb wrote:You bought a second hand gauge that is not working properly and instead of querying the previous owner, you blame the manufacturer for a shite product.

Am I missing something :?

I blamed the owner initially but with the photos he sent me and the dates they were taken, it was in perfect working order and the needle pointed to 0psi when it was sent.
It was even packaged nicely with thick cardboard and those foam insulation beans but it could have also been damaged through rough handling by AustPost.

It works alright other than that, reads the boost and pressure, I just have to remember that real pressure is 5psi lower than what it is reading.
I did a bit of google searching and there's been a few people unhappy with dodgy SPT gauges, there are others who have had the same problem of the needle not being zero.
paggaz

Return to Bling me up