New guy :) Best Exhaust for MY03 Liberty RX?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

New guy :) Best Exhaust for MY03 Liberty RX?

Postby Spency12 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I was after some ideas of decent exhausts that will give me a good sound. I'm not after a full system or anything just something to give me a good, proper subaru boxer sound. :)
Thanks
Spency12

Car: 2003 Liberty RX

Re: New guy :) Best Exhaust for MY03 Liberty RX?

Postby Robbks » Thu May 17, 2012 9:49 am

without replacing the headers with proper Unequal Length Headers you CAN NOT get a proper boxer note from an NA subaru. (with the excepton of some very early models)

the boxer note comes from the timing of the exhaust pulses and when they meet together in the headers.

the pic below shows the modified turbo headers TOP
and the stock NA headers BOTTOM

one of the tassie guys put them on his 06 forester (requires some modification)
and how sweet does it sound for a 2.5 NA
http://youtu.be/V-8PEVIZenU

the actual note will then be determined by pipe size. 2" is plenty big enough for an NA
and mufflers will determine how loud it is. a nice straight thru muffler (magnaflow, redback, Supercat) will be louder than something like an STi muffler or a "turbo-flow" style muffler (Genie Turbo muffler is a great option for flow and a lower note)

coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Re: New guy :) Best Exhaust for MY03 Liberty RX?

Postby Spency12 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks a lot for all the information Robbks! It does sound pretty sweet haha. So if I just want it to be a bit deeper I just need to replace the pipe with a larger one and the muffler?
Spency12

Car: 2003 Liberty RX

Return to Bling me up