Is catback P-plate legal?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Postby jakey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:46 am

Hi all,

Have just shaken hands on an 05 lib 3.0R spec B. SO EXCITED TO GET IT. It will be my first 'real' car, since I've been driving around in a daewoo for far too long.

I've noticed a lot of people are doing catback upgrades for an extra few k/w. This is not my main concern as the lib is VERY much powerful enough coming from a daewoo.
I like that the catback makes it sound much better than stock.

Is it considered an engine upgrade? and am I likely to get trouble from the blueys if this is all I have changed?

The p-plate law in vic says:
No, probationary drivers cannot drive a vehicle that has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle’s performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle).

So I suppose this comes under that category?

:( sadface.

I suppose while I've got the thread open - what have people done from stock to the h6? what aesthetic upgrades are worth doing? should I leave her in stock glory? :angel:

Thanks in advance!
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby seanmau5 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:06 am

jakey wrote:Hi all,

Have just shaken hands on an 05 lib 3.0R spec B. SO EXCITED TO GET IT. It will be my first 'real' car, since I've been driving around in a daewoo for far too long.

I've noticed a lot of people are doing catback upgrades for an extra few k/w. This is not my main concern as the lib is VERY much powerful enough coming from a daewoo.
I like that the catback makes it sound much better than stock.

Is it considered an engine upgrade? and am I likely to get trouble from the blueys if this is all I have changed?

The p-plate law in vic says:
No, probationary drivers cannot drive a vehicle that has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle’s performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle).

So I suppose this comes under that category?

:( sadface.

I suppose while I've got the thread open - what have people done from stock to the h6? what aesthetic upgrades are worth doing? should I leave her in stock glory? :angel:

Thanks in advance!

It's not an engine modification, but it is improving on the performance.. I guess to clarify the point, it should state performance mods of any type that will improve the engine performance should be 'discouraged'. Performance mods can be things like bigger brakes which imo improves the safety of the car and are permitted.. Just try not to increase the exhaust note too much.

Stock cars on this forum are sacrilege!!! You need LED everything, HIDs, panel filter, new wheels (not a fan of pre facelift Spec B wheels), coilovers, mesh grill, front lip :) new audio!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Re: Is catback P-plate legal?

Postby jakey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:27 am

Haha alright then, I'll tell the boys in blue you said it was okay :P

I am a fan of HID's so i'll have to do some research there...what is everyone recommending?

The car has the mckintosh audio..is that not good enough? I gave it a whirl yesterday seemed to impress me!

Where are front lips and grills sourced from?

This is going to become quite an expensive project...sigh..

And yes I'm planning on getting some low profile rubber on some new wheels..it's got 18's already, so I assume I'd go for that size..I don't want to get too ricey

THANKS
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Postby iisshhyy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Speak to Leo (HKS180) about HID's - Lips & grilles, speak with PHAT for genuine / better quality ones or have a look at Ultrex Performance for cheaper ones.
iisshhyy

Postby jay.ritchie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Im a p plater and just bought an 05 3rb too, hi-five!
the catback upgrade isn’t REALLY a performance modification- basically just makes it sound better. Plenty of p-platers get away with new extractors and a high flow cat too. i guess you could claim its for ‘efficiency’. Although its a big problem if its too loud- You’ll get defect warnings.
. My old bf xr6 had a 2.5” cat-back system and i never ever had any problems with the cops.

Did you buy a sedan or wagon, and what colour?
jay.ritchie

Car: MY12 VW Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21040

Postby jay.ritchie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm

Personally i think the macintosh system is pretty sweet. a bigger sub would be nice but i don’t want to have a big box thing sitting in the boot!
If you want iPod connectivity which I’m sure you will, clarion has a gizmo called an EA1251. it cost me $100 from a clarion dealer here in vic, and took hardly any time to install it to the back of the HU.
jay.ritchie

Postby SH30RB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm

well, IMO its increasing the performance, but what copper is going to get under your car and check for the whole system? could just say you just got new mufflers...

jakey wrote:This is going to become quite an expensive project...sigh..

HAHAHAHA yeah, you came to the wrong site for leaving your car stock.
i started out with a simple, change the wheels and tyres and maybe a front lip... go check out the list on my profile.
it keeps growing and growing every time i think of something to add to it.

im doing a cat back exhaust at the moment with a new intake and a tune. ill let you know how it goes for me if your interested :wink:

and Lib_seanmau5 is on the money with the list of mods
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby jakey » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Defs interested in the cat-back...I suppose yours is NA? what catback system is it? I can't find one on line?
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Postby SH30RB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 pm

jakey wrote:Defs interested in the cat-back...I suppose yours is NA? what catback system is it? I can't find one on line?

mines definitely an NA (for atleast 2 years hehe) ive purchased:

Weapon R ram air intake ($300 from america)
    2x 2.25" high flow cats ($300 total incl postage off ebay)
    going to purchase the xforce center and y pipe (ill let you know the price after i get a quote from best mufflers)
    and a new set of mufflers either xforce or tpc (the tpc dual tips i think are about $650 but ill also get a quote for the xforce)
    then im doing to get a tune from, most likely, revzone (not sure on price, ill get back to you after i get a quote)

the Y pipe deletes the 3rd cat converter in the exhaust system, giving the gases a slightly better flow and less restriction,
the center pipe is a 14" long resonator getting rid of that drone that everyone hates,
the mufflers, which ever, should also be less restrictive compared to stock (same reasons as the Y pipe)

all this should get a few extra ponies and a :air_kiss: :air_kiss: sounding exhaust note :wink:
this is all happening over the next month or so, depending when they come on the mail
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Postby jakey » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Sounds like a big job.

I don't want to change the air intake because that will be a bit obvious won't it?
Can you do one without the other? or one at a time and upgrade separately? or is it all one pain in the arse once off job ?

Do these cats look any good? they seem to be the only 2.25 in Australia on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-High-Flo ... 500wt_1180

As you can probably distinguish I am an ABSOLUTE automobile noob

Would there be any one mod I can do to get a bit more note out of the exhaust? As I mentioned I don't want to change too much and get defected (P plate laws) but I really would like to get a better note.

Thanks!
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Postby seanmau5 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Intake is at one end of your engine & exhaust/mufflers etc is the other end :)

You can do them at seperate times mate. If you run a pod filter then keep the stock air box to hide it ;) the intake piping can be changed for less restriction or friction if you like - the faster and cooler the air can get in the better, and the faster and easier the gasses can exit the better
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby SH30RB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Lib_seanmau5 wrote:If you run a pod filter then keep the stock air box to hide it ;) the intake piping can be changed for less restriction or friction if you like - the faster and cooler the air can get in the better, and the faster and easier the gasses can exit the better

your right! but i know the stock box wont be able to fit the pod filter, so i think ill get revzone to make one up for me when i get it on.

jakey wrote:Sounds like a big job.

I don't want to change the air intake because that will be a bit obvious won't it?

Do these cats look any good? they seem to be the only 2.25 in Australia on ebay?

As you can probably distinguish I am an ABSOLUTE automobile noob

its going to be a very big job, but small in terms of my whole list i want done.
it will be obvious, but if i get it put into a box (and thinking about giving it a coat of matt black paint) it wont stand out too much.
and they are the cats i bought the other day

and its all good, i started out not knowing anything, i still dont know much but i am learning (slowly, haha). the knowledge of everyone on here is awesome! you've certainly come to the right place, thats for sure!
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Postby jay.ritchie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 am

jakey,

I’m selling my catback system, i bought the car with it already installed, but after having a fully modded xr6, i want to keep the lib pretty stock as far as the engine goes.
if your interested, i have a vid of the sound. No idea what brand it is, but it sounds pretty cool. The vid was done on an iPhone 4s, so it doesn’t capture the bass.
it has a deep growl from idle to about 2.5- 3,000rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FPmKzZ2 ... e=youtu.be
jay.ritchie

Postby mihai » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:05 pm

SH30RB wrote:...and a new set of mufflers either xforce or tpc (the tpc dual tips i think are about $650 but ill also get a quote for the xforce)

Why not go for a set of Phat mufflers? Aaron still has his for sale and is looking for about $600 ono.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby SH30RB » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 pm

mihai wrote:
SH30RB wrote:...and a new set of mufflers either xforce or tpc (the tpc dual tips i think are about $650 but ill also get a quote for the xforce)

Why not go for a set of Phat mufflers? Aaron still has his for sale and is looking for about $600 ono.

I wont have the money for another week, and arent aarons for a sedan?
Otherwise i would love some phat quad tips :D
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Next

Return to Bling me up