spec.B white LED DRL's

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Re: spec.B white LED DRL's

Postby rooby » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:29 pm

I just don't understand why it is cool to drive with them on all the time.

What do they add that is so awesome?
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby Kekotic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:59 pm

I agree. I think you just look like a tool driving with them on for no reason.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:13 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:I agree. I think you just look like a tool driving with them on for no reason.

+1
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby champ » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 pm

I'd rather be the tool that is seen, than the tool that some other tool crashed into just because "I didn't see you mate" :roll:
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby MH3.0R » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:22 am

champ wrote:I'd rather be the tool that is seen, than the tool that some other tool crashed into just because "I didn't see you mate" :roll:

I totally agree with that statement, but you do have headlights which are focussed and cutoff to ensure oncoming drivers do not face unnecessary glare (also a hazard). Probably more relevant at night than in daylight as 90% of drivers on the road wear sunglasses in daylight. Hell, I have even seen a couple wearing them at night! :lol:

Mind you, the darker colours are still harder to detect, so anything that helps to spot them early will help, but that still does not justify fog lights. It is probably the reason behind the development of Daytime Running Lights. Are DRLs supposed to dim or turn off when the headlights come on?
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

spec.B white LED DRL's

Postby sjm69 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:06 am

In some european countries like the czech republic it's against the law to drive during the day without your headlights on.
So it's against the law to drive here with fog lights on but what is the rules for headlights
The output from fog lights is less then low beam ?
Just throwing it out there
sjm69
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Premium Wagon

Postby champ » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 am

Are DRLs supposed to dim or turn off when the headlights come on?

Yes they are.

Also, not really wanting to add DRL to the Liberty (unless there are really suitably nice ones that don't look bling), using the existing lights are the only option left.
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby Kekotic » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 am

There is a height limit to how your headlights can be set and also they are angled in such a way as to not point in the direction of oncoming traffic. there is no equivalent adr to fog lights so they are considered a distraction to other drivers.

If you want to be seen so people can notice you more use your headlights. If you want to be seen because you love yourself a bit too much. turn on your parkers and foglights and put the sunroof up and all the windows down then play the bassiest music as loud as you can. and dont forget to rev the engine unnecessarily at traffic lights.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby <GB> » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:44 pm

i dont use mine as i dont need the extra attention with an highly modded car.. num saying
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby SegR » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 pm

For those interested, I've been doing a bit of searching on the DRL front and I note Philips make a very nice looking DIY set - 3 models available. These seem to be one of very few non-noname brands available. I'm not 100% convinced they'll look good on the 3.0R front bar though so haven't bothered going much further.

Note that one of the three Philips models doesn't switch off (but does dim) when the headlights are on so may not meet state compliance requirements.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby MH3.0R » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:18 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:There is a height limit to how your headlights can be set and also they are angled in such a way as to not point in the direction of oncoming traffic. there is no equivalent adr to fog lights so they are considered a distraction to other drivers.

If you want to be seen so people can notice you more use your headlights. If you want to be seen because you love yourself a bit too much. turn on your parkers and foglights and put the sunroof up and all the windows down then play the bassiest music as loud as you can. and dont forget to rev the engine unnecessarily at traffic lights.

Kieran,

You forgot the horn mate.... to get the attention of nice looking pedestrians! :lol:
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby MH3.0R » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:21 pm

sjm69 wrote:In some european countries like the czech republic it's against the law to drive during the day without your headlights on.
So it's against the law to drive here with fog lights on but what is the rules for headlights
The output from fog lights is less then low beam ?
Just throwing it out there

I am pretty sure that you are encouraged to drive with headlights on during daylight hours as statistically it has been proven that these vehicles have been involved in fewer accidents. Ford and Holden used to offer an option for daytime headlights that would automatically come on with the ignition, but not the rear taillights.
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby MH3.0R » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:23 pm

SegR wrote:For those interested, I've been doing a bit of searching on the DRL front and I note Philips make a very nice looking DIY set - 3 models available. These seem to be one of very few non-noname brands available. I'm not 100% convinced they'll look good on the 3.0R front bar though so haven't bothered going much further.

Note that one of the three Philips models doesn't switch off (but does dim) when the headlights are on so may not meet state compliance requirements.

I have seen two different sets of Philips DRLs in Autobarn, but at $299, they did not get my attention for very long. Although, what price for safety.....
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby SegR » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Farken. Just found some osram ones which have a nicer shape also. Still not cheap.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Previous

Return to Bling me up