Let me introduce myself / any ideas Gen V GT?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Let me introduce myself / any ideas Gen V GT?

Postby dylmah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi All,

Been on here for a while, but thought I would finally introduce myself.

I am 25, live in Brisbane, happily engaged (getting married in Oct), own a Gen V GT that I bought about a year and a half ago and loving it. Have seen a few threads about the look of the car and partially agree with allot of the comments (i.e. Aurion etc etc). Yes it looks hideous, looking from the front and the back, however get it on the right angle and it looks unreal. In saying this it has been hard driving in such a manner that everyone can only see the car at a 45 degree angle from the front at about 1.8m in height.

My initial mindset when I bought the car was 'Why would I modify it? I am not a rev head, I don’t drive fast, I don’t know allot about cars (about the same as the avg Joe)'. This feeling towards modified cars was really driven home one day when a mate came over with his brand new ride to give me a lift....2005 Lancer (standard), Bright yellow, personalized number plates, big windscreen stickers, exhaust the size of a basketball and cheap crappy aftermarket rims. I could have died when I was in the passenger seat, especially when he decided half way through the city to start the doof doof and try race everyone. I am generally not they type to care all that much about what people think about me, but jesus I was praying no one would recognize me and would of given anything for someone to put me out of my misery.

Whilst my general feeling towards blingy shit box cars with huge exhausts hasn't really change, my view of modifying cars has. This particular forum coupled with my inquisitive nature started to change my perception of some well placed mods....seeing a pic of the STI quads for the Gen V GT has pushed me a little further, the price however (2k) just frustrated me. As I am sure many of blokes on here already know, getting approval up the chain of command (wives / girlfriends / partners etc.) to spend this sort of money is a task that requires plenty of strategy and sometimes can a very long time (it took 2 years, to convince the missus on the GT, and have already had to start to convincing on our next car also).

Based on my new found interest I would appreciate some ideas or suggestions for the GT.

Look forward to being a part of the forums

Cheers
dylmah

Car: Gen5 Liberty GT

Re: Let me introduce myself / any ideas Gen V GT?

Postby JKeep2.5i » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:20 pm

haha basketball - best movie
MY04 Liberty 2.5i wagon 5MT[Team White]P plates
surfsnowsubarus
JKeep2.5i
-stickered-

Car: MY04 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14989

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:23 pm

*baseketball.

Haha you have wives girlfriends AND partners? lucky man! only playing!

Welcome and I think if you speak to PHAT GT he has an idea of the right kind of wheels and ride height that will make it look 100x better!
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby fatfrog02 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 am

Start with a HKS panel filter and resonatorectomy, and see how you go from there.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=744
fatfrog02

Postby apfoster » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:55 pm

When I was looking for mods for my Gen 5, I quickly found out that there is not a lot of parts available compared to the Gen 4 and WRX models. Due to Subaru moving the turbo to the front of the engine, a lot of parts from other models do not fit. The best person to speak with on this forum is Phat GT (Michael) who can be contacted at forumparts@gmail.com. He can get stuff from Japan at the best prices, better than Subaru Australia.

To increase performance you need an exhaust and tune.

Exhaust:
You can go cat back or turbo back. Off the shelf in Australia the only exhaust available is MRT’s. Their exhaust is turbo back. Phat can get you a HKS exhaust or STI muffler from Japan. In the US they have AVO mufflers, Borla Cat back, Invidia Cat back, and Magnaflow cat back exhausts.

Tune:
EcuTek, Chiptorque or RomRaider have a map. The decision on which way to go will depend on where you are located. This will determine what tuners are available and what they can tune. I’m in Brisbane so PM me if you want to hear about what I did.

Brakes:
You can upgrade your rotors (DBA) and pads. Also upgrade your fluid and install braided brake lines. Brembo do a Big Brake kit but you will need to change your wheels to get them to clear.

Turbo:
No off the shelf replacement available. Due to the turbo being mounted low at the front of the engine you need to go custom.

Intercooler:
No off the shelf top mount or front mount replacement available. Would need to go custom. With the turbo mount low at the front, a front mount would be perfect.

Cold air intake:
Debatable whether you get any real performance increase, just noise increase. None available so you would have to go custom.

Air filter:
Subaru OEM filter flows just as good as the big name brands – K&N, AVO, Perrin however the name brands are re-usable.

To increase handling just upgrading your sway bars makes a huge difference.

Sway bars:
Whiteline heavy duty adjustable – front - 24mm, rear - 20mm

Front strut tower:
STI and Whiteline do one.

Gearbox positive shift kit – Whiteline

Other suspension parts:
You can do springs, coilovers, under body braces and replacement bushes however they do increase the NVH of the vehicle.

Short shifter:
Due to the Gen 5 having a cable shifter, only short shifter available is the STI one. It is expensive for only a 10% reduction in throw.

Cosmetics

Grill:
Subaru do two replacements.

Front lip:
STI have one.

Rear spoiler Subaru do 2 and STI do one

Must have:
Nav hack – Contact forum member garbo41610 and get his cable to enable you to use all the GPS and phone functions whilst the car is moving.
apfoster

Car: Had 2010 Liberty GT sedan

Postby PHAT GT » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 pm

dylmah wrote:Hi All,

Been on here for a while, but thought I would finally introduce myself.

I am 25, live in Brisbane, happily engaged (getting married in Oct), own a Gen V GT that I bought about a year and a half ago and loving it. Have seen a few threads about the look of the car and partially agree with allot of the comments (i.e. Aurion etc etc). Yes it looks hideous, looking from the front and the back, however get it on the right angle and it looks unreal. In saying this it has been hard driving in such a manner that everyone can only see the car at a 45 degree angle from the front at about 1.8m in height.

My initial mindset when I bought the car was 'Why would I modify it? I am not a rev head, I don’t drive fast, I don’t know allot about cars (about the same as the avg Joe)'. This feeling towards modified cars was really driven home one day when a mate came over with his brand new ride to give me a lift....2005 Lancer (standard), Bright yellow, personalized number plates, big windscreen stickers, exhaust the size of a basketball and cheap crappy aftermarket rims. I could have died when I was in the passenger seat, especially when he decided half way through the city to start the doof doof and try race everyone. I am generally not they type to care all that much about what people think about me, but jesus I was praying no one would recognize me and would of given anything for someone to put me out of my misery.

Whilst my general feeling towards blingy shit box cars with huge exhausts hasn't really change, my view of modifying cars has. This particular forum coupled with my inquisitive nature started to change my perception of some well placed mods....seeing a pic of the STI quads for the Gen V GT has pushed me a little further, the price however (2k) just frustrated me. As I am sure many of blokes on here already know, getting approval up the chain of command (wives / girlfriends / partners etc.) to spend this sort of money is a task that requires plenty of strategy and sometimes can a very long time (it took 2 years, to convince the missus on the GT, and have already had to start to convincing on our next car also).

Based on my new found interest I would appreciate some ideas or suggestions for the GT.

Look forward to being a part of the forums

Cheers

Hi

there are just as many performance parts for the gen5 as there are for the gen4 in Japan, tell me what you want and ill find it for you

Michael

WINNERS DONT DO DIFFERENT THINGS , THEY JUST DO THINGS DIFFERENT
PHAT GT

Return to Bling me up