Putting a sunroof on a Blitzen - would it be a mistake?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Putting a sunroof on a Blitzen - would it be a mistake?

Postby bradr » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:18 pm

I sort of like the Blitzens but I have become attached to the sunroof in my current car which, of course, the Blitzens don't come with.

Would it be wrong to add a sunroof to one, then if I were to get one? I know the real answer is "do whatever you want" but I also like to think of the long term and consider resale. Would a sunroof add to or take away from this given that it's not a standard thing (and probably not an option, either)?

I remember a car salesman telling me once that the three questions he always got asked were "sunroof, leather, auto".

It would have to be the real deal, though and look and feel like a factory one.

Anyway, over to you....

cheers,

bj
bradr

Car: MY06 3.0R-SpecB Sedan

Re: Putting a sunroof on a Blitzen - would it be a mistake?

Postby bates91 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:36 am

imo if you did it properly + geniune one, i dont think it would dramatically help resale, but i dont think it would work against it either

think i remember something on here a while ago which said youd be looking at up to 2k to get it done ?? may be completely wrong here
bates91
-stickered-

Car: BMW 135i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Postby sooobi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:39 am

No turbo = no care.. really..
Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4.. No mods, honest...
sooobi

Car: my05mt GT b.spec no neons
Profile URL: http://forum.liberty.asn.au

Postby jdm rsk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 am

why would it wrong? hollianda sunroofs are fitted to lots of aussie as a factory option. i have one in my car and it is exelent
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Car: MY 11 VW Golf GTI ED35

Postby teK-- » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 am

bradr wrote:I sort of like the Blitzens but I have become attached to the sunroof in my current car which, of course, the Blitzens don't come with.

Would it be wrong to add a sunroof to one, then if I were to get one? I know the real answer is "do whatever you want" but I also like to think of the long term and consider resale. Would a sunroof add to or take away from this given that it's not a standard thing (and probably not an option, either)?

I remember a car salesman telling me once that the three questions he always got asked were "sunroof, leather, auto".

It would have to be the real deal, though and look and feel like a factory one.

Anyway, over to you....

cheers,

bj

Don't think it would be the real deal in the sense that you won't get the rolled edges in the roof skin, like you do in factory installs.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby HKS200 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:38 pm

well before you go ahead with getting one installed, i'd suggest pulling the head liner back and checking the roof reinforcements. if installing a sunroof meaning cutting out a support beam for your roof what it will actually do is weaken the overall structural side of things of your car and actually make the car less rigid which to an extent may hamper performance. installing a sunroof will also lower the headroom which is a given as well and raise the cars center of gravity due to the weight increase. Personally I love sunroofs however I wouldn't want one that isn't off the factory floor regardless if its a dealer fitted option or not. :D
HKS200

Car: Altezza RS200 Z Edition

Postby jdm rsk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:42 pm

HKS200 wrote:well before you go ahead with getting one installed, i'd suggest pulling the head liner back and checking the roof s. if installing a sunroof meaning cutting out a support beam for your roof what it will actually do is weaken the overall structural side of things of your car and actually make the car less rigid which to an extent may hamper performance. installing a sunroof will also lower the headroom which is a given as well and raise the cars center of gravity due to the weight increase. Personally I love sunroofs however I wouldn't want one that isn't off the factory floor regardless if its a dealer fitted option or not. :D

they should not be cuting any roof reinforcement it fits in between the front and middle reinforcement
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Car: MY 11 VW Golf GTI ED35

Postby HKS200 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:44 pm

jdm rsk wrote:
HKS200 wrote:well before you go ahead with getting one installed, i'd suggest pulling the head liner back and checking the roof s. if installing a sunroof meaning cutting out a support beam for your roof what it will actually do is weaken the overall structural side of things of your car and actually make the car less rigid which to an extent may hamper performance. installing a sunroof will also lower the headroom which is a given as well and raise the cars center of gravity due to the weight increase. Personally I love sunroofs however I wouldn't want one that isn't off the factory floor regardless if its a dealer fitted option or not. :D

they should not be cuting any roof reinforcement it fits in between the front and middle reinforcement

true :) but just thought I'd point it out. some guy had a sunroof removed from his S14 and in the removal process realised that the installer had actually cut the reinforcements. (sorry just realised i bumped an old thread)
HKS200

Car: Altezza RS200 Z Edition

Postby moggy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:33 am

After market sunroofs these days tend to be better than the OEM factory fitted ones. My missus had one fitted to her Corolla and it's better than my Subaru one as is Shanes fitted to his Focus. :wink:

8) Bob.
When I give an opinion you have to ask yourself...what the hell does he know about anything!

I started out with nothing....and I've still got most of it left.....

MY07 Liberty GT spec B 6MT Sedan;
P3 Dump|Fujitsubo Legalis R|Whiteline|Enkeis|HKS EVC|Dixcel|Blitz|Greddy|Pink Bits|Brembos|178.6 kw ATW|
moggy

Car: MY07 Lib GTB 6MT

Return to Bling me up