Turbo back exhaust?

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Turbo back exhaust?

Postby EUROSTYLE » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:06 pm

The time has come for my next mod and iv decided it wil be the exhaust. I'v booked in this Friday to install a 3 inch from the turbo back which splits in 2 and a 1/4 inch piping with a high flow cat and finishes with some nice tips. All this is mild steel (new) and will cost me $1500.

Now my questions are, is this good or could I do better for the money?
I noticed a lot of others get cat back instead and a dump pipe. Is this better then a turbo back(kw gain wise)?

Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

Danny
EUROSTYLE
-stickered-

Car: My 04 Liberty GT

Re: Turbo back exhaust?

Postby Kekotic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:11 pm

EUROSTYLE wrote:I noticed a lot of others get cat back instead and a dump pipe. Is this better then a turbo back(kw gain wise)?

Where exactly have you 'noticed' this?
You can only get cat back if don't have a turbo obviously, are you sure you are looking at people with turbos?
Dump probably makes the most difference kw gain over the rest of the exhaust.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby EUROSTYLE » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:
EUROSTYLE wrote:I noticed a lot of others get cat back instead and a dump pipe. Is this better then a turbo back(kw gain wise)?

Where exactly have you 'noticed' this?
You can only get cat back if don't have a turbo obviously, are you sure you are looking at people with turbos?
Dump probably makes the most difference kw gain over the rest of the exhaust.

Lol :D sorry I'm tripping with the cat back part, meant to say just the dump pipe. Noticed a lot get dump pipe. So you suggest getting a dump over the turbo back?
EUROSTYLE
-stickered-

Postby hamish_023 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:17 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:You can only get cat back if don't have a turbo obviously

Are you serious? :?

Last edited by hamish_023 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby Arith » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 pm

EUROSTYLE wrote:Noticed a lot get dump pipe. So you suggest getting a dump over the turbo back?

Eh? Turbo back = dump pipe + catback.

Are you after just better driveability or all out power? For all out power invest in the turbo back which will free up restrictions from the turbo all the way to the muffler tips. But be prepared for a lot more noise. If you're after a touch more noise but better spool and turbo response, just get the dump pipe.

I guess if I had a choice between either a catback or a dump pipe, I'd rather get the dump pipe. More fun!

If you're sensitive to increased noise, try it in this order (won't cost that much more if you do it in sections):

1. Dump pipe
2. Mufflers
3. 3" Centre pipe

With each mod, noise increases, especially at the last stage with the 3" centre. If you're happy after 1 and 2 with the noise and performance, then stop there. Otherwise go for #3. If you can endure a bit of performance decrease, you can always go 2.5" for the centre for less noise.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby EUROSTYLE » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 am

Arith wrote:
Are you after just better driveability or all out power? For all out power invest in the turbo back which will free up restrictions from the turbo all the way to the muffler tips. But be prepared for a lot more noise. If you're after a touch more noise but better spool and turbo response, just get the dump pipe.

I am mainly after power but at the same time have the least amount of noise gain, I wasn't sure what exactly to do to my exhaust before the car gets tuned but I might try the turbo back like you said as it will free up restrictions. I have a fair idea of what the noise would sound like as the exhaust shop showed me a recording of a similar job he did to another lib gt.

Thanks for the tips Arith!
EUROSTYLE
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:10 am

hamish_023 wrote:Are you serious? :?

You know what I mean hamish!
I should have worded it better, I meant to say that you can't get a dump pipe on non turbo :(
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby blacktop™ » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 am

I like people that say "my cars booked in for so and so" and then ask for an opinion rather than getting a quote then asking lol

The price is fairly good...

If you want performance go for the turbo back and if it's too loud just get a hot dog (resonator) fitted afterwards.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby Lucy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 pm

If it's too loud your too old! (says the man with the waking stick)
Lucy

Car: 2008 GT Tuned by STI Pearl White

Return to Bling me up