I FINALLY BLEW UP MY B4. ( BIG END BEARING)

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Re: I FINALLY BLEW UP MY B4. ( BIG END BEARING)

Postby B.C » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 am

i'll be honest , i'm not really happy about it but if you don't laugh you'll go nuts.
a proper rebiuld would be about the same as a new sti 20.ltr short block anyways.
idealy i'd love to go sti long block and single turbo but waiting on a quote which i'm convinced already i won't like.theres a lot of wiring to it
and on top i need a replacement engine, tmic ,ecu,tune ,dump pipe, turbo etc etc.
i wanted to go sti long block and stay with the twins but my ecu won't run the AVCS.
as for short blocks i now know the sti 2.0 ltr is a lot stroger than the 2.5 which is more drivable .
either way i go i will end up needing a new ecu aswell as mine has ecutek on it and unless i make it for there tuning trip on aug 1st
i can't get a tune done at all as there is no support or resellers left in vic FFS HAHAHAHA
you see ,, if i don't laugh,,,,HAHA ,,,I"LL FUGGEN KILL SOME ONE ,,HAHA
at the end of the day if i can get my car back with a lot stronger bottom end and even just a bit more power i'd be happy.
i spent over 6 years and a little bit of cash pushing the twin turbo setup to it's limt,,,,well i found it hehe.
YOU"LL KNOW HOW FAR YOU CAN PUSH IT,,WHEN IT BREAKS,,,,,I FOUND IT, AND IT BROKE.
B.C

Postby reaper » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:30 pm

I just did a sti short motor and single conversion.
reaper

Postby DONB4 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:14 pm

well i know this is nearly a year old lol but hows it going? u happy with it or do u still miss that low rpm grunt from the prim?
I rebuilt my bottom end only a few months ago (at 90,000kms) cos i want to up the boost without having 2 worry about blowing anything.
im yet to up the boost on her but i will do soon... when i get my new exhaust & tmic.
MY01 B4 - Fully forged bottom end (piston rod bearing ect) - MRT ECUTEK Type2
DONB4

Car: MY01 B4

Postby jdm rsk » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:54 am

i have been driving around with a big end problem for about 2 yrs now. finallt decided to get a re-build. around $5800 using my engine. i went STI 2.0l short block new from subaru japan $6400.
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Car: MY 11 VW Golf GTI ED35

Postby stealthb4 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Just joined the forum as sadly I suspect a big end bearing problem on my B4. Have learnt alot in the last 24 hours reading the posts so I must say thanks to those who have expressed opinions options etc. I may have to pick your brains over the next few months if my suspicions are confirmed!
stealthb4

Postby jdm rsk » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:15 pm

G'day where are you? I would do a single conversion straight away. Al at Amautos (qld) can do it for around the same price as rebuild. I got quoted around 3k for a jdm sti engine and 1k for fitting and wiring.
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Postby stealthb4 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:55 pm

jdm rsk thanks for your reply. I'm in Brisbane so will look Al up. That price sounds to good to be true! you reckon I should get it sus'ed out before it dies? I was about to do ecutec so this development is predicably causing serious thought as to the best solution and current costs. Suppose I need to start with a second opinion on the noise, but from what I've read on this post alone it sounds like 95% chance it big end bearing issue as the noise is after 3k in 2nd and 3rd. Nice rsk by the way! Love em but Blitzen is a lil ugly!
stealthb4

Postby smythie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:21 pm

have seen some less than stellar work that came out of AMAuto.
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby jdm rsk » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:36 pm

stealthb4 wrote:jdm rsk thanks for your reply. I'm in Brisbane so will look Al up. That price sounds to good to be true! you reckon I should get it sus'ed out before it dies? I was about to do ecutec so this development is predicably causing serious thought as to the best solution and current costs. Suppose I need to start with a second opinion on the noise, but from what I've read on this post alone it sounds like 95% chance it big end bearing issue as the noise is after 3k in 2nd and 3rd. Nice rsk by the way! Love em but Blitzen is a lil ugly!

Hi thanks for your kind words about my car. Your Car now, when it is cold does it make a few rattles at start up? Also does the engine rattle after around 4000 rpm. If it does you have a big end problem. That's what my car did but I still drove it like that got around 30000k's. Al's prices are good and he knows what to do. I am in the middle of gathering All parts needed for my single conversion
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Postby stealthb4 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:52 pm

I've only just noticed the noise recently and that was just before a minor service so I asked the mechanics at boxed services to check it out and big end was their suspicion as well. Was 186,000 mm service with no issues whatsoever. The noise is not that noticible but of course I am listening for it now. It's mostly second gear but not after 4k more 3-35 rpm then it's gone. Good to hear it may hold out a litte. Maybe no runs up Nebo/Glorious for a while!
stealthb4

Previous

Return to B4 Specific