Electrical issue/immobiliser/2nd turbo

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Electrical issue/immobiliser/2nd turbo

Postby B4NAFTER » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:24 am

Hi there, I recently bought an MY03 B4 with the only performance mod being an ECUtek tune. I've noticed a couple of times over the last month that the dash lights and stereo would turn off and on for a split second, which was mildly concerning at the time. However on my last trip down the highway it did it more severely, ficked on and off several times, reset my trip meter and clock, and I could feel a loss of power when it flicked off, then the abs or airbag light would come on for a few seconds. After that I realised my immobiliser wasn't working, and then much to my distress the second turbo wasn't kicking in. When revving out a gear I would get 15psi on the boost gauge and then it would drop off and the engine would rev out faster. Going up a hill I'd get to about 4.2k rpm and that's all I could get out of it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen or heard of this, I'm assuming the electrical issue has something to do with the immobiliser, but would it affect the 2nd turbo or is that just an unfortunate coincidence?

I'd appreciate any advice on this issue, before I take it to a mechanic/auto electrician.

Cheers
B4NAFTER

Re: Electrical issue/immobiliser/2nd turbo

Postby Robbks » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:39 pm

check the wiring looms in and around both dump pipes

I had an issue where the main power feed to the starter was just touching the primary dump pipe, when you'd go up a hill on boost the dump would get hot, melt some insulation and it would short out and cut the power to the car.

but I'd suspect the Brant Alarm/ immobiliser to be faulty otherwise it's a headache and a half

convert it to single turbo, get rid of that ECUwreck rubbish tune and have a good car to drive
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Re: Electrical issue/immobiliser/2nd turbo

Postby B4NAFTER » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:33 am

So it turns out the battery terminals were slightly loose, I didn't think it would affect the car as drastically as it did. Which brings me to my follow up dilemma. It now feels like the car isn't boosting predictably or properly. I feel the 2nd turbo kick in, but as I get around the 6k mark the boost drops by about 3psi and I feel the car stop pulling as much as it used to. It also feels like the boost seems to drop off a lot quicker and easier than it used to, this seems to happen more if I'm cruising along for a bit at say 3k and then put my foot down. Other times it seems like the 2nd turbo doesn't kick in at all. Am I just being crazy, have a forgotten how to drive a TT, or could the battery connection issue have done something to the ECU/sensors etc? It feels like the 2 turbo's arn't really working together as they are supposed to. I'm thinking I might book it in at MRT in Sydney, the previous owner had a fair bit of work done by them early this year, so they should know the car. But at $90-$150 just for a possible diagnosis, I'm a bit hesitant.

Oh and is there any risk of damaging the engine if I drive it around and there is actually something playing up with the turbos or tuning or whatever?

Cheers.
B4NAFTER

Return to B4 Specific