Oil Leak

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Oil Leak

Postby texaspete » Thu May 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi guys,
Hope you can help on this one. 2 Months back i had the clutch and gearbox fixed and in the process they had to remove the drivers side secondary turbo to get the box out. Once they put it back in only took about 4 days till i saw decent engine oil drop from the right side under the intercooler and i took it back. they have a look and tell me the turbo had shit itself so i get a decent second hand turbo and fit back to car.
Now after 2 weeks it is doing it again and i doubt that 2 turbos inside 2 weeks could go so i removed the intercooler and found oil in side the small black pipe that comes of the second turbo housing and runs up to the intercooler.

Any thoughts on what this might be please help....

cheers texas
texaspete

Car: Liberty B4

Re: Oil Leak

Postby texaspete » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:46 pm

anyone had this issue before dont want to waste all the money taking it to suby and it something simple
texaspete

Postby Robbks » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:08 pm

TT's are notorious for blow-by
fit a simple 2-port catch-can between the crank-case breather Tee Piece and the pre-turbo intake pipe that runs across the motor to the primary turbo
you'll have to pull off the TMIC and turbo piping to plumb it all in.

Because the secondary turbo isn't used much, blow-by oil tends to pool in those pipes between it and the TMIC
it finds it way out of the joins under boost and drips eventually.

This is why the TT system fails. ALL of your vac lines and solenoids are full of this dirty sh!t oil gunk
It goes hard, blocks the pipes, gums up the solenoids and causes hell.

get into everything downstream of the turbo outlets with upper engine cleaner
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby SmokinScoobs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:48 pm

I'd take it back to garage. You told them you had an oil leak, they told you the turbo was shot causing the leak, => leak wasn't fixed!

Mine leaks oil from what looks like some butterfly valve in a pipe up near the intercooler, not sure what it is.

And yeah, I was talking to a suby mechanic about a puff of smoke I get on starting once in a blue moon, and they can either pool a little oil in the intercooler for some reason (which I didn't really understand) (or in one of the cylinders if it stops in an odd position (also forged pistons don't help on that front either apparently)), anyways, from that, if it's leaking from that hose, then tighten the hose I should think.
SmokinScoobs

Car: 2001 Liberty B4

Postby texaspete » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:00 pm

there was oil there prior to doing the box but only minor get it back and it leaks all over the floor dont worry boys i will be taking and getting my money backdont worry about that. So I understand this is normal for a b4 than hey.
texaspete

Postby Robbks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 am

SmokinScoobs wrote:Mine leaks oil from what looks like some butterfly valve in a pipe up near the intercooler, not sure what it is.

Called the Intercooler Valve
The butetrfly has a rubber seal around the shaft which wears and leaks over time.
blowby oil pools in that pipe and drips out
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Postby texaspete » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:53 pm

took it back today and they are blaming the car for to much pressure and that the pcv valve or could be faulty??? They removed the cap of the oil filler and said there was alot of pressure coming out of it and that was not good and this could be pushing oil up the back up and could be the pcv valve. Is there any way to check it and also where is it located.

cheers terry
texaspete

Postby Robbks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 am

Firstly,does the car have any mods to the breather system, catch-cans, etc
take a couple of pics of teh engine bay so I can see what's going on.

the PVC is mounted under the throttle body in the back of the manifold.
It's a one way valve that only allows air into the manifold from the crankcase breather.
If it doesn't open under engine vacuum conditions, all the engine's blow-by gasses and pressure will feed back into the intake pipe just before the secondary turbo

Robbks

Postby texaspete » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:51 pm

The car has a few minor mods. It has a pod filter in and Also has a catch can right in front of the battery with 3 hoses coming off it. One goes to the passenger side rocker cover breather the second goes to a port on the black intake pipe just after pod filter the last one runs under the intercooler some where when I lose sight of it and a Ecu tune has been done. All of this was done prior to me buying it and really only started happening since gear box was done but when I get home ill take some photos and get them to you. Also I called suby to find out how much for Pcv was and they said my car does not have one.
Thanks for your help look forward to speaking with u soon
texaspete

Postby texaspete » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 pm

The car has a few minor mods. It has a pod filter in and Also has a catch can right in front of the battery with 3 hoses coming off it. One goes to the passenger side rocker cover breather the second goes to a port on the black intake pipe just after pod filter the last one runs under the intercooler some where when I lose sight of it and a Ecu tune has been done. All of this was done prior to me buying it and really only started happening since gear box was done but when I get home ill take some photos and get them to you. Also I called suby to find out how much for Pcv was and they said my car does not have one.
Thanks for your help look forward to speaking with u soon
texaspete

Postby Robbks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:40 pm

texaspete wrote:has a catch can right in front of the battery with 3 hoses coming off it.

there's your problem.

remove the catch can hose that goes to rocker covers. and plumb that back into the factory position of the pre-turbo intake.

you should only have two lines to a single catch can
one from the crankcase breather Tee piece outlet (tucked down on the block in front of secondary turbo) to teh catch can
(there should be another hose here on the tee piece going directly into the PCV)

then your other hose one out of the can to the Pre-Turbo intake. just in front of the secondary turbo
Robbks

Postby texaspete » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:31 pm

ok ill give it a go but still does not explain why it has started pissing out since gearbox was done
texaspete

Postby Robbks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 pm

they probably fu(ked up the plumbing of the can when removing sh!t to get to the box
Robbks

Postby texaspete » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:09 pm

so go to subaru today to try and get a new pcv like what you showed me in pic and they have no idea what im talking about can you tell me where to get one from...

cheers terry
texaspete

Postby texaspete » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:06 am

Ok found out why the oil catch can was all fucked as they snapped a piece off the black intake that runs between both turbos. now i maybe able to dodge it using different sort of hose that i have to make up but is there any other option than replacing it and if so what and how hard is it to get it removed.

Also does anyone know where i can get one from.

cheers terry
texaspete

Next

Return to B4 Specific