Oil Leak

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Re: Oil Leak

Postby Robbks » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:03 am

just pull out your PCV and clean it out, it'll probably work fine.

that intake pipe requires removal of the intake manifold and it'll be expensive.

But there should be a thousand of those intake pipes second hand from people who wised up and converted to single turbo
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby texaspete » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:28 pm

all cool i got a new pcv from subaru and installed hopefully she will run when i sort out these vac lines tomorrow
texaspete

Car: Liberty B4

Postby texaspete » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:20 pm

ok so oil leak returned and finally i had had enough and took it to subaru. They tell me a seal in the shaft that open and closes the butterfly in the intercooler duct of the second turbo has died and oil is leaking through there. Now you cannot buy this part new as it is 900.00 and japan may or may not have it but my questions is should there be oil in that second duct.

Subaru tell me yes there is supposed to be some oil but I as wondering on your guys thoughts.

And also if anyone has done a single turbo conversion and has that part of there old intercooler that they dont want would be much appreciated.

cheers terry
texaspete

Postby telemekas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 pm

The only oil in the 2nd turbo intercooler pipe would be blow-by condensate from the intercooler. This normal for the TT and the amount increases overtime as the engine wears (rings).This blow-by oil condensate will accumulate in the intake track as well, as the crankcase and header breathers return via the intake.
The IACV has a rubber stem seal on the bottom and boost pressure will force the oil condensate out.
The valve can be dismantled and the rubber seal taped to improve sealing.
telemekas

Car: B4/BE5 Rev E BITURBO TD04S-13TXT

Postby Robbks » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:55 pm

wow,
you paid subaru to tell you what we said weeks ago..

Robbks wrote:
SmokinScoobs wrote:Mine leaks oil from what looks like some butterfly valve in a pipe up near the intercooler, not sure what it is.

Called the Intercooler Valve
The butterfly has a rubber seal around the shaft which wears and leaks over time.
blowby oil pools in that pipe and drips out

easy fix.
pull that pipe out and off the intercooler
use good oil resistant silicone on both the inside and outside of the shaft seal to make a new seal.

plumb up catch can as described before
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby texaspete » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:07 pm

yeah i did all the above before taking it and they did all the hard work for me in sealing it back up.
texaspete

Postby claire6 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:47 pm

I know ancient post but was oil leak rectified?i got similar on my b4.oil literally pours out and down where engine meets gearbox.
Going to attempt to remove turbo and lines see whats going on.
claire6

Car: liberty gen3

Previous

Return to B4 Specific