What does a single turbo conversion on a B4 cost?

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Postby Janus » Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 am

just out of interest, wondering what a single turbo conversion costs on a B4?
Thinking low end conversion, not some uber drag strip weaponry.
Janus

Car: MY02 b4 Liberty

Re: What does a single turbo conversion on a B4 cost?

Postby Robbks » Fri May 24, 2013 11:33 am

-I'd try to buy a complete wrecked engine for a couple of hundred to get turbo, heater-pipes, oil drain pipe, intake, etc
-then you just need exhaust mods, $300 for 3" dump, or $50 for a stock dump or whole stock exhaust and some labour to fit/ modify
-ECU tune

you could get it done for as little as $1500 or anywhere up to $3-4K depending what else/ mods you do along the way
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Janus » Fri May 24, 2013 4:07 pm

ouch, thanks for the info :)
Janus

Car: MY02 b4 Liberty

Postby Murfb4 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 am

Its alot of time.

get a PNP ecu for a v7-9 wrx ( these plug into the b4 loom ) remove the TT pinouts,
need a turbo , you can bodge your TT motor up to run a single setup , plug oil/water suplly drains on passanger side head
the motors 9:1 so you will need to tune the ecu to suit this a STOCK wrx tune wont cut the mustard.
a y pipe will bolt up onto the the stock b4 TMIC, a WRX exhaust will cut n shut up onto the B4 cat back,
disconnect the varible controll muffler and weld it in the open possie :)
cheapest option buy a aftermarket ecu and bolt stuff up
nek option buy a wrecked bugeye and cut it all over,.
MY02 B4 - SINGLE TURBO
MODS - SOME...
Murfb4

Car: MY02 Liberty B4

Postby Etune » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:01 pm

As above.... if you aren't going to do it yourself expect 4k at least drive in drive out...

To be perfectly honest from someone who has been through this, don't do it... buy a half cut and do a complete swap... in the end i would have spent about the same (give or take a few grand) and the car would have been a hell of a lot better day to day... Don't get me wrong, my car (Gen 3 GTB) hauls arse when its running, but be very carefully about full aftermarket Ecu's... I'm currently in the process of swapping to a complete Autronic SM4 board after pissing the best part of 2k up the wall on another brand and it failing over and over... A complete swap to something like a V7 Sti, would have given a nice little power increase as well as kept it stock-like and very daily drivable...

Best of luck,

Craig
Rugby, the game they play in heaven
Etune

Postby jasonp » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I had a gremlin when my was completed.

Cost around 8K and the car was off the road for over 2years, including transporting to Melbourne x 2, Adelaide x 1, Adelaide to Canberra x 1, Canberra to near Wagga x 1.

Finally Bazza found the issue and fixed it for me.

If you try it be prepared to be patient if things don't go right the first time.
jasonp

Postby N AF73R » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:19 am

Ive been thinking about it for a while but there is a guy out my way (sutherland shire NSW) who put a TT into his RX liberty and with the help of haltech made around 210kw on stock turbos with bigger TMIC CAI and exhaust. I am running the same mods and he has 15kw on me just from haltech. We raced and he did have me but not by much.

I ran into him again the other week and now hes upgrading to bigger turbos with some other things (i was drunk and cant remember) and aiming for 250+kw atw. I was rather interested as he opted to keep the TT setup instead of going single and then we both agreed on how good the TT setup is around town with virtually no lag.

Now im considering this as a viable option however buying two turbos is more expensive than one and haltech is not cheap at all. Im not sure if it would be better worth my time and money upgrading the twins and a dyno tune (from 195kw up to around 210-220 hopefully) or doing all the new pipework for a single turbo and a new ECU etc.....

Opinions???

How much more or less fun was your single turbo liberty compared to twin turbo?
N AF73R

Car: '01 B4 with the lot. 200kw atw

Postby Murfb4 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:13 pm

I have a single turbo B4 - roughly 270/80 kw's shits all over the tt - cruising is off boost so i get 550km to a tank now -brilliant car as a single turbo

i run a V7 pnp LINK G4
MY02 B4 - SINGLE TURBO
MODS - SOME...
Murfb4

Car: MY02 Liberty B4

Postby BE4ORE » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Hey guys,

I just purchased B4 myself again, as i used to have a B4 in the past... Still love these cars.

This time, this one has been converted to a single turbo already and so far so good with it. However, what i have noticed is while im cruising on the freeway, the engine light comes on for a while n then goes away. Anything i should be worried about?

It's running a VF34 and tuned to 16PSI with a piggyback ECU.

Can anyone tell me why it comes on? thx heaps.
everything is better in two's :D
BE4ORE

Car: Liberty B4

Postby Dav_fre » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:30 am

A/F..?

Just plug in an OBDII scanner and it will show you

Even after it goes away from your dash, it's stores in your ECU to be read later
Dav_fre

Car: 2002 B4 TT

Postby BE4ORE » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Dav_fre wrote:A/F..?

Just plug in an OBDII scanner and it will show you

Even after it goes away from your dash, it's stores in your ECU to be read later

Sorry for this but what's A/F again? im assuming to do with air flow?

Also, i acquired a bluetooth OBD scan tool to use with my android but it doesn't seem to work so what's a good wired OBD scanner out there to use? Or maybe anyone here in Melb that can let me use it please?
everything is better in two's :D
BE4ORE

Car: Liberty B4

Postby mwilson93 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Just a question with using the TT harness you say the TT printouts need to be removed to run with the v9 ecu could you possible give a little further detail on these pins??
mwilson93

Car: liberty b4

Return to B4 Specific