Starting problem

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Starting problem

Postby sparkyboy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi people,
Please can you help...
My 2002 TT B4 is having intermittent starting problems, sometimes it won't start sometimes it will, its a painful experience when the car won't start when away from home :( i can hear the fuel pump is not running when it doesn't start when the ignition is on, when i do hear the pump the car starts fine.
When it doesn't start i turn the key on and off until i hear the pump which could be up to 30 times once i hear the pump i crank the engine and it runs ok

Any suggestions ? where is the fuel pump relay located so i can try it ? also where is the ECU located ?

It seems to be more of an issue when the car is warm...
sparkyboy

Car: liberty b4

Re: Starting problem

Postby Boostaddict » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Pretty sure the fuel pump is in the tank!!

Pretty common i would say for a fuel pump to finally give up.!!!
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby BUDDAH » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Lets think about this cryptic question

It wont start but dose start it wont start till you hear the pump start when the pump starts the car starts when the pump cant be heard the car wont start it starts after 30 attempts but it takes 30 attempts to make it start it sometimes starts when your at home but its painful and hurts you feelings when your away from home when it dosn't start so it must start when your away from home because you do get home . So when your driving the pump must be working ? and when you turn it off the pump stops ?

MMMM ok fuel pump relay its fucked !

The relay is under the bonnet in the little black box there are other relays in the box that look the same just swap them to eliminate the relay been the problem :wink:
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby sparkyboy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Thank you for the replies,
the relay isn't in the box under the bonnet :( I've looked in the manual but it doesn't mention it..

i now think its the pump, (i would still like to try the relay just in case ) as i had the back seat removed and had my multimeter ready for a test drive this morning and when it happened again i checked the voltage, the voltage was going to the pump even tho it wasn't working so I'm guessing its the brushes in the pump motor,
are they serviceable ?
Where is the cheapest suppliers of fuel pumps in oz or perth ?

Thank you guys,
sparkyboy

Car: liberty b4

Postby zch91 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Well if there's ~12v at the pump when you first put it into the ON position then I'd say the pump is stuffed. Otherwise double checking the fuel pump relay would be a nice idea. I had the same problem in my old Civic - intermittent fuel issue, it was the relay.

Sounds like you've got it sorted out now though.

Can't help with who can supply a new one sorry. Should be pretty easy to fit yourself
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Return to B4 Specific