New to Subaru

For the older twin turbo B4 models

New to Subaru

Postby Zig_Zac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Subaru, and I just picked up a 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4 yesterday. I'm from Sydney NSW by the way, a family man, so needed a good, safe sedan.

So it is a late 2002 model, blue, Twin Turbo, Auto, with *gulp* 203,000kms on it...

Picked it up for a good price, nice guy selling it, because his wife banged it up a little, so he didn't want her driving it anymore, bit of scratches on the passenger door..

Done quite a but of stuff to it...

- 3inch TBE
- 2010 GT Wheels
- Sunroof
- Cruise Control
- Front and rear sway bar
- Lowered compression springs

I wasn't too fussed about the kms, because it had full logbook services done all its life, but still a little worried.. Lol!

Biggest plan right now is to save up for a tune, probably with Pulse Racing in Sydney :)
Zig_Zac

Car: 2004 Outback 3.0R

Re: New to Subaru

Postby zch91 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am

Nice car mate.

Do you have any pics?

Any future mods?

Enjoy your stay :D
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby Zig_Zac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:44 am

Here are some pics from the Ad in which I bought the car...

I haven't had time to wash the car and take some pics of my own yet...

I just read the for sale section and saw another B4 for sale... but kind of double what I paid for this... but all good...

Some mods I might think of would be the CAI and maybe a TMIC is I can find one.. from the STI 05-06 I think?

Then I want a good tune, try to tune out the VOD if possible.. and prevent the engine from pinging.. which its not doing yet
Zig_Zac

Postby nickknack » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Those are specB wheels, not genV GT wheels ;)

For top mount, the sti won't change too much over stock (I think, am happy to be corrected), and you might be better off with an aftermarket one designed for the B4... eg Hyperflow.

Are you sure you haven't already had a tune? The ECUTEK sticker on your engine cover suggests otherwise ;)
nickknack

Car: Black MY02 Liberty B4
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16448

Postby zch91 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:56 pm

nickknack wrote:Those are specB wheels, not genV GT wheels ;)

For top mount, the sti won't change too much over stock (I think, am happy to be corrected), and you might be better off with an aftermarket one designed for the B4... eg Hyperflow.

Are you sure you haven't already had a tune? The ECUTEK sticker on your engine cover suggests otherwise ;)

Nope, they are definitely NOT Spec.B wheels..
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby paggaz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 pm

I think they're 08-10 WRX wheels.

Welcome to the forum mate. Car looks neat :)
paggaz

Car: 2007 GT Spec.B Wagon Silver
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17423#p241526

Postby Zig_Zac » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 am

nickknack wrote:Those are specB wheels, not genV GT wheels ;)

Whaaaaa?

So that is the ECUtec chip tune done on it already? I thought the sticker just meant the car had an ECUtek chip on it, not that it was already tuned!

Damn... is there another way I can find out if the car has been tuned already or not? Damn...

Now if I go back to an ECUtek tuner, to get it retuned, I have to stick to ECUtek only, don't I? Does that change the price of the tune?
Zig_Zac

Postby Zig_Zac » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 am

paggaz wrote:I think they're 08-10 WRX wheels.

Thanks mate.. I have no idea what the wheels are... dude who sold them to me told me they were from the 2010 GT... but I don't mind... they look good.. :)
Zig_Zac

Postby nickknack » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:25 am

paggaz wrote:I think they're 08-10 WRX wheels.

My mistake, think you're on the money with this one
nickknack

Postby nickknack » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:26 am

Zig_Zac wrote:Now if I go back to an ECUtek tuner, to get it retuned, I have to stick to ECUtek only, don't I? Does that change the price of the tune?

Yes the ecu is now locked to ecutek. I think, but check with them, that retunes are cheaper, since you've already paid for the ecutek license cost.
nickknack

Postby Zig_Zac » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:35 am

nickknack wrote:
Zig_Zac wrote:Now if I go back to an ECUtek tuner, to get it retuned, I have to stick to ECUtek only, don't I? Does that change the price of the tune?

Yes the ecu is now locked to ecutek. I think, but check with them, that retunes are cheaper, since you've already paid for the ecutek license cost.

Thanks mate, I will find out when I find a tuner... if the license cost has been paid, then I guess thats good... but it was paid by the previous owner...

Seems like all the mods I could or wanted to do have already be done on this car.. and the guy who sold it to me didn't know what was done, since he bought the car from his cousin who I assume did all the work...

Oh well, my gain I guess.. but will be good to get it checked and maybe retuned by another ECUtek tuner... but I know its also called ECUwreck, so thats got me worried...
Zig_Zac

Postby redeemed » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Congrats mate! Welcome to the (Subaru) club. Just an old 2.5L N/A RX here unfortunately, but my mate has a B4. Phenomenal car! It already goes like a stabbed rat, but he's planning to have it tuned in the near future.

Can I just ask what ballpark figure you paid for it? I saw an immaculate specimen in Vic, 110,00kms, all for less than $10k (should still be on Carsales). Very tempting! However I figured that even with some hard bargaining, I'd have to spend at least another $4k all up to get a half-decent B4. My plans are for a Gen4 07+ GT in the near future, so it looks like no B4 for me right now :(
redeemed

Car: Subaru Liberty RX MY02 (Mica Red)

Postby Zig_Zac » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am

redeemed wrote:Congrats mate! Welcome to the (Subaru) club. Just an old 2.5L N/A RX here unfortunately, but my mate has a B4. Phenomenal car! It already goes like a stabbed rat, but he's planning to have it tuned in the near future.

Can I just ask what ballpark figure you paid for it? I saw an immaculate specimen in Vic, 110,00kms, all for less than $10k (should still be on Carsales). Very tempting! However I figured that even with some hard bargaining, I'd have to spend at least another $4k all up to get a half-decent B4. My plans are for a Gen4 07+ GT in the near future, so it looks like no B4 for me right now :(

I paid 7.5k for it... since there is about 1.5 worth of body damage and a bit of paint issue on the roof, but I can live with that for now I guess... but also coz it has 200ks on the clock and about 1.5 months rego... lol...

Still, it came with a TBE, aftermarket sunroof, cruise control and 17" wheels... so I guess its good for the price...

It does cost a bit to get it to a respectable state, but mine is an auto... so doesn't go like a stabbed rat, but still nice... tune will make it better... :)
Zig_Zac

Return to B4 Specific