Questions from a soon to be b4 TT owner

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Re: Questions from a soon to be b4 TT owner

Postby Billsy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Jack_Keaka wrote: But these are people who are trying to get more power of the B4. If you leave them original they usually work fine.

this is me, ive done everything just about. and keep hitting a mystical wall at around 215KW. stock engine, or fully built and ported 2.2 the tiny turbos just wont flow more.
so now im building a td04/GTX30R compound turbo setup.

td04 driveabillity with 300+ atw is what i hope to end up with. but who knows how it will work :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skids are fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeIXKQdPyU
Billsy

Car: Legacy GTB

Postby Zig_Zac » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:03 pm

See, I'm fine with the power... I worry about the VOD, but will see how that is when I come to it. I'm not going the single turbo route. I just want something that goes well and sounds/looks good... and thats the B4... maybe with a tune... just so there is a little more torque on take off...
Zig_Zac

Car: 2004 Outback 3.0R

Postby Billsy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:05 pm

you can get rid of the vod. its not too difficult
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skids are fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeIXKQdPyU
Billsy

Car: Legacy GTB

Postby Zig_Zac » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Billsy wrote:you can get rid of the vod. its not too difficult

Yeah, but the tune is not cheap is it? That is pretty much the only way right?

I would like some low down power too... it does have a little lag off the line, but its ok... I can live with it..
Zig_Zac

Postby Harps » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Zig_Zac wrote:
Billsy wrote:people just dont understand the subaru TT system. it is complex, but also simple in its operation.

when its working well its very good as a daily.

So true... so much bad stuff is said about the VOD... I haven't driven it past 4000rpm to know what its like, but I will this weekend...

Really?? Not even on a test drive?

I like the TT setup. Good low down power and response, and pulls hard higher in the rev range.
[B4-TT-Melbourne]
Harps

Postby Zig_Zac » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:17 am

Harps wrote:
Zig_Zac wrote:
Billsy wrote:people just dont understand the subaru TT system. it is complex, but also simple in its operation.

when its working well its very good as a daily.

So true... so much bad stuff is said about the VOD... I haven't driven it past 4000rpm to know what its like, but I will this weekend...

Really?? Not even on a test drive?

I like the TT setup. Good low down power and response, and pulls hard higher in the rev range.

Did take it to about 5000rpm on the test drive, but didn't have enough time to feel any power... was only an 80km/h zone...

Still, been driving a bit since I got it and can't feel the VOD at all for some reason... maybe I'm not punching it hard enough or knowing what to look for...

But then again, this is an Auto...
Zig_Zac

Postby Harps » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Zig_Zac wrote:Did take it to about 5000rpm on the test drive, but didn't have enough time to feel any power... was only an 80km/h zone...

Still, been driving a bit since I got it and can't feel the VOD at all for some reason... maybe I'm not punching it hard enough or knowing what to look for...

I have an auto. The 2nd turbo comes in about 5000rpm and pulls pretty well until 8000rpm or so. You should definitely feel it.

If you dont get VOD, perhaps your ECU has been remapped. I test drove a couple of b4s, and i didnt really feel the issue that so many talk about. You notice when the 1st turbo is done, and then when the 2nd turbo kicks in, but i wasn't that fussed about it. I actually quite liked it!! Having said that, my B4 has had a complete custom tune..
[B4-TT-Melbourne]
Harps

Postby Zig_Zac » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:01 am

Harps wrote:
Zig_Zac wrote:Did take it to about 5000rpm on the test drive, but didn't have enough time to feel any power... was only an 80km/h zone...

I have an auto. The 2nd turbo comes in about 5000rpm and pulls pretty well until 8000rpm or so. You should definitely feel it.

If you dont get VOD, perhaps your ECU has been remapped. I test drove a couple of b4s, and i didnt really feel the issue that so many talk about. You notice when the 1st turbo is done, and then when the 2nd turbo kicks in, but i wasn't that fussed about it. I actually quite liked it!! Having said that, my B4 has had a complete custom tune..

Cool... well I'l be driving a bit more this weekend, so will see if I can feel the VOD more... 5000rpm hey? Will watch out for just below that and wait for the lag... I think it will be ok actually...

Custom tune... nice... thats what I want to get for my B4.. but don't know where.. :(
Zig_Zac

Postby Harps » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Zig_Zac wrote:
Harps wrote:Cool... well I'l be driving a bit more this weekend, so will see if I can feel the VOD more... 5000rpm hey? Will watch out for just below that and wait for the lag... I think it will be ok actually...

Custom tune... nice... thats what I want to get for my B4.. but don't know where.. :(

Yeap, and i was getting a little excited about the 8000rpm. More like about 7000-7500rpm!!

As for tuning, where are you located?
[B4-TT-Melbourne]
Harps

Postby Zig_Zac » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Harps wrote:
Zig_Zac wrote:
Harps wrote:Cool... well I'l be driving a bit more this weekend, so will see if I can feel the VOD more... 5000rpm hey? Will watch out for just below that and wait for the lag... I think it will be ok actually...

Yeap, and i was getting a little excited about the 8000rpm. More like about 7000-7500rpm!!

As for tuning, where are you located?

I'm in Sydney... western Sydney...

I was beaten by a Hilux yesterday, wasn''t really trying, he was, but still... not fun...
Zig_Zac

Postby B4NAFTER » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:48 pm

How's the car going OP? I'm in the market for my first B4 and it looks like I'm after the same things you, a decent performing (without going over the top in mods), good looking B4. Have you done anything else to the car yet/had any problems. I was initially set on getting one of those $1500 Ecutek jobs, but after reading a few of these forums I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews. I'm more of a set and forget guy, pay a bit of money once, and not have to play around with it again.

Cheers
B4NAFTER

Postby Robbks » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:55 pm

"set and forget"
A TT Subaru is NOT the car you're looking for then....
Spend the extra $2K and buy a Gen4 GT.
Much better car all round
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby B4NAFTER » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Robbks wrote:"set and forget"
A TT Subaru is NOT the car you're looking for then....
Spend the extra $2K and buy a Gen4 GT.
Much better car all round

Yeah, but I have to have a manual, which are relatively rare in the Gen4, and I dunno, the B4 just seems to have more character.
B4NAFTER

Postby Robbks » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:28 pm

plenty of gen4 GT manuals

Here, bargain central <$10K, 140K on it
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 3206/?Cr=0
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby B4NAFTER » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 pm

This might be a stupid question, but where is the bonnet scoop and leather int?
B4NAFTER

PreviousNext

Return to B4 Specific