Questions from a soon to be b4 TT owner

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Questions from a soon to be b4 TT owner

Postby Harps » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi All,

I know that this is not the intro section, but I would like to say I have learnt a lot from reading the topics on this forum. I now have a few questions whereby I hope that you can answer or point me in the right direction! I have always fancied the B4 TT. I sold my current car today (which is sad btw!). Tomorrow my quest for buying a TT begins. I have arranged to see a couple this weekend. I have the following questions:

1/ I notice that some B4 TT have controls on the steering wheels, is this for gear shifts and was this optional extra?
2/ Can someone recommend a good exhaust shop in Melbourne and really somewhere to get the ECU re-tuned or a piggy back ECU done?
3/ In terms of exhausts, I am looking for mostly performance, but do look forward to hearing that boxer rumble. Nothing over the top though. Any opinions and how much should I expect to pay?
4/ I notice that some B4s have a different body kit. Do these have anything else different about them?
5/ I know that there are many factors, but how many kms is "too" many for a b4? Assuming a good service history, where should my cut off point be? i.e. 200,000kms?
6/ Any pointers on what to look out for when looking at these B4s?
7/ I see that some people claim 180ish rwkw with very minor mods, where others have a huge list with similiar rwkw. Seems strange.
8/ Any B4 TT owners in Melb on here?
9/ Was cruise control a factory option?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if these have been asked before. I did try and search etc!

Thanks heaps!
[B4-TT-Melbourne]
Harps

Re: Questions from a soon to be b4 TT owner

Postby kiks » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 pm

A car bought 55km from your house with. 199950km on it is instantly better than one with 200,001 that's next door.

So yeah, very very kmportant you have a kilometer cut off point and absolutely no bearing on ownership, condition, if its a new engine, if its been driven into the ground by an old lady. Definitely KM.
kiks

Car: 1UZTurbo HQ ute, Gen3 1GZ 5L V12 lib

Postby Harps » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:13 am

kiks wrote:A car bought 55km from your house with. 199950km on it is instantly better than one with 200,001 that's next door.

So yeah, very very kmportant you have a kilometer cut off point and absolutely no bearing on ownership, condition, if its a new engine, if its been driven into the ground by an old lady. Definitely KM.

Every forum has one, and i just found this forum's one. But thank you, your knowledge, insights and friendliness is what probably makes this forum great.

Its sunny outside, remember to wear a hat while you are outside collecting trolleys.
[B4-TT-Melbourne]
Harps

Postby nickknack » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:09 pm

1/ I notice that some B4 TT have controls on the steering wheels, is this for gear shifts and was this optional extra?
Only on the auto's, yes it's for gear selection, it wasn't an option. Just came on the auto's only.

2/ Can someone recommend a good exhaust shop in Melbourne and really somewhere to get the ECU re-tuned or a piggy back ECU done?
I would go re-tune unless you're chasing big power (not a good choice of car in that case haha). Avoid anywhere that uses ECUtek.

3/ In terms of exhausts, I am looking for mostly performance, but do look forward to hearing that boxer rumble. Nothing over the top though. Any opinions and how much should I expect to pay?
Do a search. A catback will offer no performance benefits, you want new dumps for that. Some say 2.5inch off the turbos merging into 3inch, others say 2.5inch off the primary and 3inch off the secondary. A muffler will offer most difference to the sound, fujitsubo super legalis are highly regarded but there are many!

4/ I notice that some B4s have a different body kit. Do these have anything else different about them?
Pictures? Sounds aftermarket to me. Unless you mean between revA-C and rev D-E?

5/ I know that there are many factors, but how many kms is "too" many for a b4? Assuming a good service history, where should my cut off point be? i.e. 200,000kms?
As above, condition is more important. If it were me I would be looking in the <150k km bracket. Mine has 95k.

6/ Any pointers on what to look out for when looking at these B4s?
Unusual noises, check the second turbo kicks in smoothly at ~4250rpm (B4's heatsoak like a bitch and you will notice a late changeover + no shove in the back if it's a hot day) and listen carefully for pinging!

7/ I see that some people claim 180ish rwkw with very minor mods, where others have a huge list with similiar rwkw. Seems strange.
awkw**. Depends on the dyno, TBE + tune should see you approaching that. Anything else is unlikely to net big gains on the TT. what mods in particular?

8/ Any B4 TT owners in Melb on here?
Not me :lol:

Nope, some dealers did fit it though. IIRC one of the turbos sits where the cruise control module is in an RX. Subaru were to lazy to relocate it :angry2:
nickknack

Car: Black MY02 Liberty B4
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16448

Postby Harps » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks Nicknack, your reply was very helpful.

There is an example of the bodykit, scroll through to the front view:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/detai ... 2&__N=1216

I have noticed a few around and quite like the look ;)

Here is an example where the mods dont seem to match the power/torque gains.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/trevally ... 1011315211
[B4-TT-Melbourne]
Harps

Postby Jack_Keaka » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Harps wrote:Thanks Nicknack, your reply was very helpful.

its fairly uncommon to find a B4 with that body kit. easy enough to find though on sites like Import Monster or Japan Parts... if your into that kind of thing.
the B4's looks fantastic without the glue on bits.
that second B4 seems to have had quite a lot done to it, but some very nice things done :wink: that aftermarket ECU he has would be the selling point for me.
Boostaddict wrote:Holy shit.... I want a gen 3 again!!!! :D
Jack_Keaka

Car: Nissan Skyline R33 + R36 Passat
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18091

Postby nickknack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:35 am

Harps wrote:Thanks Nicknack, your reply was very helpful.

That's just a normal front bar with the lower section in black and no grill by the looks of it. He's also painted the headlight surround in body colour. Not a fan :roll:

The modified subaru has been converted to single turbo which is a little more complicated and probably why he's gone for an aftermarket ECU. The intercooler is not going to give him any real power gains, just more consistency, the fuel pump is there for safety. He may have similar power to a TT with a tune but will have a different power band,and much more potential to make more power.
nickknack

Car: Black MY02 Liberty B4
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16448

Postby DonGreen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47 pm

I've noticed nearly all B4's on Carsales DON'T list Cruise Control. Were no B4's fitted with cruise as standard, even Auto's?

I've been considering a B4 as a stepping stone to an STi, but lack of cruise would be a killer for me (and most don't seem to have sunroofs?).
DonGreen

Car: MY00 Outback

Postby Harps » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 pm

DonGreen wrote:9/ Was cruise control a factory option?

I've noticed nearly all B4's on Carsales DON'T list Cruise Control. Were no B4's fitted with cruise as standard, even Auto's?

I've been considering a B4 as a stepping stone to an STi, but lack of cruise would be a killer for me (and most don't seem to have sunroofs?).

I can now tell you that Cruise was not a factory option. Having owned an auto b4 for less than a week, I am just about to book it in for an after market system. Autron seem to do a good unit. I spoke with their tech support the other day and the guy was very familiar with the lack of Cruise on the B4. I was quoted $880 installed from a dealer.
[B4-TT-Melbourne]
Harps

Postby Bond » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 pm

shit that's steep! buy a unit and diy.
Bond

Car: MY05 Liberty Wagon

Postby Konrad » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 am

nickknack wrote:That's just a normal front bar with the lower section in black and no grill by the looks of it. He's also painted the headlight surround in body colour. Not a fan :roll:

Actually it's JDM imported Subaru body kit (with a big B4 written on it - can't quite see it in that pic) - not aftermarket, same with headlights. I have the exactly same set up on my Blue B4. I've had to search out replacement parts on the net due to damage and the kit/headlights etc are all genuine Subaru parts.
Konrad

Car: MY03 Liberty B4

Postby Zig_Zac » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:05 pm

The B4 seems like such a rare car and parts are not that easy to source... and not too much info on it like engine stuff, or mods... even tuners don't seem to want/know how to tune it... :(

Still... love the car... :)
Zig_Zac

Car: 2004 Outback 3.0R

Postby Billsy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm

people just dont understand the subaru TT system. it is complex, but also simple in its operation.

when its working well its very good as a daily.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skids are fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeIXKQdPyU
Billsy

Car: Legacy GTB

Postby Zig_Zac » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Billsy wrote:people just dont understand the subaru TT system. it is complex, but also simple in its operation.

when its working well its very good as a daily.

So true... so much bad stuff is said about the VOD... I haven't driven it past 4000rpm to know what its like, but I will this weekend...

I wonder if single turbo is better anyway... I don't really care though, I like my car... 1 drive in it and I was hooked and had to have it... :)
Zig_Zac

Car: 2004 Outback 3.0R

Postby Jack_Keaka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Many people convert it to single turbo to eliminate some of the common problems associated with the TT set up. But these are people who are trying to get more power of the B4. If you leave them original they usually work fine.
Boostaddict wrote:Holy shit.... I want a gen 3 again!!!! :D
Jack_Keaka

Car: Nissan Skyline R33 + R36 Passat
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18091

Next

Return to B4 Specific