Problem with key pad on start MY02 B4.

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Problem with key pad on start MY02 B4.

Postby B4 Dave » Tue May 31, 2011 11:11 am

Hi,

I have developed a problem with that key pad that you punch your starter code into, in my B4.

It started a couple of months ago with the code only being required by the car say every second or third time I started it. Now the only time you need to punch the code in is after you get out and leave it running and it shuts itself down. I intially thought it was due to the fact that my girlfriend likes to place her purse on top of it and I thought the weight of her purse was pushing some buttons during the drive that put it into service mode or something similar. After a couple of heated discussions she doesn't do that anymore but the problem persists.
Anyone had a similar problem??
Is it a subaru only repair?
MY 02 BE Liberty B4, current mods 3"TBE and exceedy heavy duty clutch, STI pink springs rear, King springs front,Whiteline sway bars front and rear, whiteline antilift kit. Future mods, tune.
MY07 JDM GT-B wagon sti edition with 6 speed manual. 3" TBE with stock mufflers.
B4 Dave

Car: MY02 B4 & MY07JDM GT-B Wagon

Re: Problem with key pad on start MY02 B4.

Postby Robbks » Tue May 31, 2011 11:28 am

another Brant alarm problem.
rip it out and put in a good immobiliser

there is a removal guide on Rexnet, for WRX but wiring is near enough the same
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby B4 Dave » Tue May 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks, so your saying no point in trying to fix it, just rip out and replace!
Any imobilisers that you would reccomend?
MY 02 BE Liberty B4, current mods 3"TBE and exceedy heavy duty clutch, STI pink springs rear, King springs front,Whiteline sway bars front and rear, whiteline antilift kit. Future mods, tune.
MY07 JDM GT-B wagon sti edition with 6 speed manual. 3" TBE with stock mufflers.
B4 Dave

Postby Robbks » Tue May 31, 2011 1:51 pm

they can be fixed but are a constsnt battle to keep them running.

i had a Shadow/ jaycar one in my JDM Legacy that i installed myself.
otherwise Mongoose seems to be a popular choice.
Doesn;t really matter, better quality ones are dearer but have better.

it's all in the install in my opinion.
dash out and splice into the wiring loom where it will never be able to be tampered with/ accessed
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby sooobi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:23 pm

You already have an subaru immobiliser built in... the brant is australian fitment..

From Brant.com.au:
If you have a Subaru WRX or STI fitted with a "factory alarm system" or a "keypad" system and you need service please contact us on 02/ 97125522

Otherwise a good subaru shop can disconnect it.. leave the keypad where it is, there's a huge hole drilled under it.
Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4.. No mods, honest...
sooobi

Car: my05mt GT b.spec no neons
Profile URL: http://forum.liberty.asn.au

Postby B4 Dave » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:46 am

Hi uys,

For anyone interested that has had this problem, I just spoke to Brant as suggested by sooobi!

According to them this fault usually happens when your battery gets low, below 10 volts which mine did early this year, and the system goes into sleep mode to preserve battery life. Apparently you can wake it up by by holding down the "1" key, if that doesn't work you can turn the ignition on and off again a couple of times and then punch in the code and that should do it! Thankyou to Dennis at Brant who was very helpfull over the phone!

Hope this helps anyone else out there with that problem!
B4 Dave

Postby sooobi » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:59 pm

To add.. there may come a day when the brant won't do anything at all - leaving you or the missus stranded on the roadside needing a tow..

Ours was disconnected after that.

Insurance is just fine with only having the subaru remote keylocking immobiliser that is built in..
Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4.. No mods, honest...
sooobi

Car: my05mt GT b.spec no neons
Profile URL: http://forum.liberty.asn.au

Postby XXB4XX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Just want to bump this,

+1000 with all of the above, remove the Brant STAT! it's a piece of crap! (that's being nice).

Call Leon at "Security in Motion" he was contracted by brant to install these pieces of rubbish in ALL subaru's that landed here with the brant option.

he knows how to pull it out and replace it within an hour! lol
Back to Subaru again.. think I would have learnt my lesson the first time round!

Now - 05 Liberty GT (Sorta Stock)
Previous - 03 Liberty B4 (Modified)
XXB4XX

Car: 05 Liberty GT Auto.

Return to B4 Specific