ej25/ej20tt hybrid

For the older twin turbo B4 models

Re: ej25/ej20tt hybrid

Postby AWDDave » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Maybe I should be clear with my requirements:

- The car is experimental. I find the TT design interesting and hence why I want to play around with it a bit. I've had ones before this, but this was many moons ago and never got to play around with it.
- Cost effective to put in initially - wiring loom, gearbox and engine into a Gen2 Liberty RX (has KYB suspension, sunroof, projector lights already) - I should mention it is an automatic. I just figured that TT half cuts are plentiful, and wiring would be easily suited to (being Gen2 to Gen2)
- I'm not chasing power... if anything, I'm experimenting with drivibility.
- My options are open at this stage - I have no hard and fast rule which way I am going yet.
- If a single turbo conversion is the same price as a twin-turbo conversion - I'd go single for less hassle. The only thing is that is guiding me as that TT front cuts can be had for as little as $900 whilst singles are still fetching about $1900...

I'm not here to spark a debate on what is better than what... as I said, my options are completely open and I do have a lot of curiousity :)
AWDDave

Car: E60 BMW 530d

Postby Robbks » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:14 pm

AWDDave wrote:Maybe I should be clear with my requirements:

- The car is experimental. I find the TT design interesting and hence why I want to play around with it a bit. I've had ones before this, but this was many moons ago and never got to play around with it.
- Cost effective to put in initially - wiring loom, gearbox and engine into a Gen2 Liberty RX (has KYB suspension, sunroof, projector lights already) - I should mention it is an automatic. I just figured that TT half cuts are plentiful, and wiring would be easily suited to (being Gen2 to Gen2)
- My options are open at this stage - I have no hard and fast rule which way I am going yet.
- If a single turbo conversion is the same price as a twin-turbo conversion - I'd go single for less hassle. The only thing is that is guiding me as that TT front cuts can be had for as little as $900 whilst singles are still fetching about $1900...

I'm not here to spark a debate on what is better than what... as I said, my options are completely open and I do have a lot of curiousity :)

Mine was TT and Auto, the dirvability is there, but you have to learn how to drive it.
if you jump too hard on the throttle when cruising or want to give a squirt for a quick lane change or overtake it'll kick back to second and land you the VoD and go nowhere, if you haven;t got enough speed/ revs already
when this happens going uphill, you got no choice but to either get right off the throttle and let it change back to the primary, or slug it out with no power and no boost.
they also drink sh!tloads of fuel, everywhere, any time that tiny primary turbo sees positive boost, your AFR's are down in the 12's and it's drinking like a fish. and that's all the time
11L/100km is the best you'll see on highway cruising. expect 15-16 around town (like 250km per tank)

fun things though
2700rpm and 12psi of boost when you stall them up on the brake at the lights
7000rpm gear changes, with no loss of boost at 17psi = :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby AWDDave » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Robbks wrote:
AWDDave wrote:Maybe I should be clear with my requirements:

Mine was TT and Auto, the dirvability is there, but you have to learn how to drive it.
if you jump too hard on the throttle when cruising or want to give a squirt for a quick lane change or overtake it'll kick back to second and land you the VoD and go nowhere, if you haven;t got enough speed/ revs already
when this happens going uphill, you got no choice but to either get right off the throttle and let it change back to the primary, or slug it out with no power and no boost.
they also drink sh!tloads of fuel, everywhere, any time that tiny primary turbo sees positive boost, your AFR's are down in the 12's and it's drinking like a fish. and that's all the time
11L/100km is the best you'll see on highway cruising. expect 15-16 around town (like 250km per tank)

fun things though
2700rpm and 12psi of boost when you stall them up on the brake at the lights
7000rpm gear changes, with no loss of boost at 17psi = :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've had 3 Gen2 Legacy GTs already... so I'm quite familiar with the way it drives. This doesn't pose any issue for me... just want a more power than the gutless 2.5 N/A in it.

Fuel wise - the car hardly sees the road (it has a flat battery at the moment!! LOL), hence why it can be an experimental car... I probably use it more than she does... so hence why I want to make it a fun car, so when I take it for a spin for whatever reason, I'd enjoy taking it out. I'm not that worried about fuel consumption... but as far as your personal experience 15-16 around town sounds very steep - I'm sure I've seen better in my TTs... but like I've mentioned, it is not a huge concern.

Honestly, I do love the power delivery of the twin turbo, mainly the flexibility of having the boost down so low. The VoD is a bit annoying... but most of the time, I use to drive through it.
AWDDave

Car: E60 BMW 530d

Postby nickknack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:12 pm

16L/100k sounds huge... I average about 10.5L out of my stock B4, and I give it plenty of stick :D It is a manual though.
nickknack

Car: Black MY02 Liberty B4
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16448

Postby Robbks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm

nickknack wrote:16L/100k sounds huge... I average about 10.5L out of my stock B4, and I give it plenty of stick :D It is a manual though.

yeah the "problem" with the auto in traffic is it's always revving up around the 2500 mark due to the torque converter operation
and with the baby primary pushing 15psi at those rpm's, it goes through teh juice.
Add to that mine was an import legacy with heated and electric everything, twin sunroofs, etc, it was a heavy old barge.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Postby Murfb4 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:35 am

Jim wrote:Your not going to get even near 200kw without some mega mad scientist shit going on and big dollars.

My GTB was heavily modified

- Forged internals
- EJ20R
- B4 VF33/32 turbos
- Parallel fuel rails/SARD FPR
- 2.5" Dumps to 3" merge with Fujitsubo muffler
- Custom up-pipes
- Custom intake
- Bigger TMIC
- Removed solenoid operation of ECV
- Silicone TMIC hoses
- Manual Boost Controller (20-24psi)
- Bosch Fuel Pump
- Lightweight Crank Pulley
- Completely reco'd and serviced heads

The best i could get out of it was 165kw atw with a peak of 20psi. Would have been good for probably mid to late 13sec pass. Which was dissapointing considering the money and time i put into it. Eventually i got to a point where to get anymore power out of it, i would have had to spend big on aftermarket engine management and the rest of it. Not worth it for such minimal gain.

Its a challenge thats not rewarding.

If you were going to do it regardless, why ask for anyones opinions if your just going to go against the grain anyway?

If i had time and money to modify a TT i would ditch the primary turbo for a supercharger and run a setup very similar to the VW 1.4 TSI. Now that would be a interesting challenge with a 2.5L.

it was the flow that was your power limiter not the motor im running close to 200-210 on pump on a ej208 single turbo and close to 220atw on e85 same motor,

vf23 turbo - G4 ecu.
MY02 B4 - SINGLE TURBO
MODS - SOME...
Murfb4

Car: MY02 Liberty B4

Postby Dropz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:06 pm

I drove an auto gtb gen2 the other week. Stock mechanicals, tuned to 183atw. Boost had been woud up a bit though.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby ej25tt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 pm

sorry peeps.

been occupied for a minute. car has been in shed for 12months, while i was away on the road with work.

pulled it out of the shed, and went over it, and noticed the bypass for the secondary turbo had become brittle and broken. got a new one coming this week.

hopefully can get it booked into the tuners in next fortnight or so. and we'll see what shes making, now i've got all the bugs sorted out.

currently contemplating a K2GEAR custom exhaust manifold, to improve spool up.

now i have the spare time, im trying to design a new sequential set-up, which uses manifold pressure to open the exhaust/intake valves for the secondary turbo, as opposed to the fucking rediculous electronically controlled set-up from factory. This will then allow the use of WRX ecu's, for better tunability and performance.
All Weather Driving (AWD) and Excellent Sideways Performance (ESP) as Standard
ej25tt
formerly runamuk

Car: 3rd gen liberty rx wagon

Postby Robbks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Dropz wrote:I drove an auto gtb gen2 the other week. Stock mechanicals, tuned to 183atw. Boost had been woud up a bit though.

Pulse Dyno 183 ATW....?

would like to see the "stock mechanicals" list though.
what ECU?

details and dyno chart

runamuk wrote:now i have the spare time, im trying to design a new sequential set-up, which uses manifold pressure to open the exhaust/intake valves for the secondary turbo, as opposed to the fucking rediculous electronically controlled set-up from factory. This will then allow the use of WRX ecu's, for better tunability and performance.

Billsy had something like this working kind of but it's extremely tedious to set up and keep working consistently

you need a Vacuum source to pull open the ECV, unless you rip it out and use a wastegate actuator and boost tee.
Then you need a boost tee on the ICV to set it to open slightly later than the ECV because you need it pre-spooled before you open it.

then you need to look at how to get it all to close,
because when you open the secondary ECV you WILL lose boost pressure from the primary.
Robbks

Postby Dropz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Stock gen3 b4 engine, intake and exhaust. He had the ecu chipped or something and then got it tuned I think he said at turbo tune. I saw a printout but I don't have it cos I didn't buy it, haha.
Dropz

Postby bigwilliestyles1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Robbks wrote:
Subaru decided a TT EJ it was a sh!t idea and canned it.
They did it for a reason

Having actually owned, driven, modified and sorted out a TT to perform as well as it can... I understand why they went back to single.

Subaru, Mazda and Toyota canned the TT setups due to tighter restrictions on emissions for productions cars post year 2000. This is why the parallel systems were also retired from the likes of the GTR!

For all the crap owners have to put up from criticism from the TT haters, the VOD is negligible and larger exhaust and simple tune can yeild results and make for a fun road car.
bigwilliestyles1

Car: GT-B Legacy

Postby Robbks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:25 pm

THIS
Dropz wrote:auto gtb gen2 Stock mechanicals,

Does NOT equal
Dropz wrote:Stock gen3 b4 engine, intake and exhaust.

"Stock mechanicals on a Gen2 GTB Auto are 380cc injectors and an asthmatic EJ20H with two tiny turbo's with nowhere near the potential of the B4's Units
Robbks

Postby Dropz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Bah close enough haha.
Dropz

Postby Robbks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 pm

better not get you to change parts on a GT Leggy then... :D :D
Robbks

Postby Dropz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Lol. I dont I change parts on gen4 and newer hehe. Dealerships are easy.
Dropz

PreviousNext

Return to B4 Specific