OEM+ My legacy

For the older twin turbo B4 models

OEM+ My legacy

Postby tasquizz » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:57 pm

Hi ALOC, new here.

I'm looking for some B4 specific advice for my new to me, twin turbo legacy. It was imported in about 2003. It's a manual EJ208 with the twins still running strong. However it has suffered a long and arduous life with some owners better than others. The last owner was doing right by it and had the old subaru keypad immobiliser bypassed and some dodgy wiring repaired by an auto sparky, and the twin system overhauled with new lines so its driving like a dream. Except for a noise from the front diff and a laundry list of small things. I'm planning on getting it worked on in the new year, its my weekend driver at the moment to become my daily next year (but will still have a motorbike).

Its currently 248,000KMS and has had a head gasket done at 230K. I've got a quote from All Drive Subaru for a stage 3 5spd exchange box for it for $3850 plus 1000-1500 for a clutch (standard oem - exedy HD)(rated for 230kW atw). The clutch is almost gone, if I give it any beans on the launch it smells real bad. So I have a few questions.

Firstly do I bother putting a 5spd back in it or just get a 6. Haven't even got a quote but I'm also not made of money, and if I go with a 6spd, how much will I have to change (front hubs? tailshaft? shift assay?).

Also, I don't really want more power, its already pushing more than WRX's of the same era and I've already gotten one speeding ticket. But a) is it possible b) has anyone ever had the turbos rebuilt with something more modern and efficient than a 23 year old turbo? Just to get a wider and more consistent powerband. Single turbo conversion is not on the table.

Sorry for the long post, TIA
tasquizz

Car: 2001 B4 Legacy

Re: OEM+ My legacy

Postby Yowie » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:43 am

Welcome.

These comments come from no direct experience of the exact subject matter (just reading and hunches - other than getting a VF46 turbo ported by a local guy then reconditioned by GCG), so take the following with a big grain of salt:

(a) on my understanding it's not so much "power" that kills gearboxes as the sudden application of torque. As such, if you like hard launches you probably want a 6 speed. If you drive with mechanical sympathy a 5-speed is probably fine.

(b) if a single-turbo conversion is ruled-out, that probably leaves you with reconditioning the existing turbos (eg by GCG in Sydney). Do a bit of porting/machining if you like. Probably not a huge/noticeable difference despite the cost of all that. If you want more power/response there are cheaper & more effective paths to that goal (eg dump pipe & tune, E85, etc - bearing in mind an old engine's life will be shortened by turning up the wick).

It sounds like you are in the ballpark of renewing/refreshing factory stuff to "as new" condition (or at least "reliable") - which is a fine goal for a sound-but-older car. Further enthusiasm to modify might be better directed into brakes & handling for more fun & bang-for-buck.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Re: OEM+ My legacy

Postby tasquizz » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:37 am

Yowie wrote:Welcome.

These comments come from no direct experience of the exact subject matter (just reading and hunches - other than getting a VF46 turbo ported by a local guy then reconditioned by GCG), so take the following with a big grain of salt:

(a) on my understanding it's not so much "power" that kills gearboxes as the sudden application of torque. As such, if you like hard launches you probably want a 6 speed. If you drive with mechanical sympathy a 5-speed is probably fine.

Thanks. I contacted All Drive Subaru for a 6 speed and they came back with 8 grand for a stock one. So I think its a bit out of my budget and not really worth it when the only thing I get out of it is the ability to hard launch. Hopefully if I can do some track days next year I will look at some upgraded brake parts as its already got good but old coilovers on the front.

The only other thing I need to decide is if I want a front LSD which comes in at $1450 :/
tasquizz

Car: 2001 B4 Legacy

Return to B4 Specific