Installing an Android unit into a 2011 Liberty Wagon?

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Installing an Android unit into a 2011 Liberty Wagon?

Postby chadwiko » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:51 am

Hey all.

Total car audio novice here, so please forgive me if I'm asking obvious questions.

Essentially, what I want to figure out is how easy/feasible is it to install an Android double-din head unit (like this one) into my 2011 Liberty Wagon that has the 'McIntosh' premium audio system installed (as pictured here).

My understanding is that it's not a simple process due to the McIntosh system.

Ideally what I'd like to do is just buy the Android head unit I linked above and take it to a car audio place and have them install it properly, but I'm not sure what 'extras' I might need to purchase myself to make this possible. For example, a fascia? Any extra connectors to make sure steering controls + rear view cam still work? Anything to do with amplifiers?

Any assistance/tips you folks could provide would be most appreciated, including recommendations for car audio installers in Melbourne who might be able to do what I'm describing here!

Thanks gang
chadwiko

Car: 2010 2.5 Liberty Wagon

Re: Installing an Android unit into a 2011 Liberty Wagon?

Postby spike2135 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Hi chadwiko, :bye:

how easy something can be is relative to your experience but yes, it is possible. Feasibility, in my mind, comes down to how much $ you have. :lol:

the first thing to do would be to get a copy of the workshop manual for your car (if you don't already have it) and familiarise yourself with the particulars of the AV system. You can follow this up by taking apart the trim and referencing what is in the manual with what you see in person. This will give you an idea as to what to expect with installing the new unit and should make the whole possess somewhat less stressful. :crazy: :jester: Then give it a shot if you feel up to it.

At that point you can post your progress and if you have any specific questions about specific parts or processes as necessary. :help:

If you find it all a bit too much to want to deal with, you can always take the new unit to a reputable car AV installer and get them to do it. :read:

Either way, post your results! :good:

Other people on the forum who have done this before might have some tips and tricks from experience :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
spike2135

Car: BR9
Profile URL: https://ibb.co/Ky2X4V3

Postby LibertyTragic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:20 pm

There is a guide from a forum member here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35384
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby chadwiko » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:46 pm

spike2135 wrote:If you find it all a bit too much to want to deal with, you can always take the new unit to a reputable car AV installer and get them to do it. :read:

Any recommendations for what Melbourne AV installers are good for this type of thing? :)
chadwiko

Car: 2010 2.5 Liberty Wagon

Postby spike2135 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:07 pm

chadwiko wrote:
spike2135 wrote:If you find it all a bit too much to want to deal with, you can always take the new unit to a reputable car AV installer and get them to do it. :read:

Any recommendations for what Melbourne AV installers are good for this type of thing? :)

No sorry. I DIY, but haven't done the AV unit yet.
spike2135

Car: BR9
Profile URL: https://ibb.co/Ky2X4V3

Return to Audio options