4GEN headunit problems

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

4GEN headunit problems

Postby MattIV07 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:02 pm

I have the headunit shown here https://www.google.com.au/search?q=4gen ... 0I5ihmG07M:

Basically what happens is the whole stereo, speakers and screen will just randomly shut off while i'm driving. I am looking to replace the headunit but before I do I'm trying to figure out if the headunit is faulty or if its a faulty connection. I have noticed that it sometimes shuts off when I drive over a speedhump or if the volume is a bit too loud the speakers will start to make a crackling noise and then will shut off but other than that its mostly random. Some days it will work fine with no issues or sometimes just wont turn on at all.

Anyone here had similar experiences or know what the problem might be? It's very frustrating

Also I was wondering if the Sony XAV-AX100 headunit is compatible with the AV panel set from Japanparts.com
(Sorry if its a dumb question just like to be safe rather than sorry)
MattIV07

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty

Re: 4GEN headunit problems

Postby Tresidder17 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Sounds like your issue with your current headunit could be a loose connection somewhere. I couldn't specifically tell you which connection though. I'd download a fsm and check the wiring diagrams. Start by testing power connections and then grounds. It may be a time consuming process.

As for your new Sony headunit, any 2DIN headunit will be compatible with the AV panel set. The complications come in choosing the right AV panel set for your car and wiring your new headunit into the car.
For the AV panel set, you want to find the right one for your car model and single/dual zone HVAC controls. There is information on the forums about this if you have a look around.
Wiring in the headunit is the most complicated part and it can be different depending on which stock headunit you have. I did a write up on installing an aftermarket headunit to replace the McIntosh system with the underseat amplifier. It may be a good place for you to start, however, you do have a different headunit so it may not be 100% the same for you. Some people on here also make adapter harnesses which you may want to check out but I have no personal experience with them.

Check out my write up here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35068
Tresidder17

Car: MY07 3.0 Spec.B 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35209

Return to Audio options