Quick question on Nexus 7 install

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Quick question on Nexus 7 install

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:11 pm

So, you've installed one of these and definitely have stereo output?

If so (and aside from the clunky USB interface), i'd certainly have a look at grabbing one...

Thanks for posting the link, BTW.
TBSTI-Wagon

Car: 2008 Liberty Wagon GT Spec B TBSTI

Postby Flat6Estate » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 pm

usb connector from hub to DAC, use RCA (red/white) output to FSL21
works well

The only thing that irritates me about my setup is that I can't listen to NAV directions while i'm listening to the radio in the car.
The only way around it is the stream the radio through nexus TuneIn while having the mcintosh set to connect to the FSL21
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Flat6Estate wrote:usb connector from hub to DAC, use RCA (red/white) output to FSL21
works well

The only thing that irritates me about my setup is that I can't listen to NAV directions while i'm listening to the radio in the car.
The only way around it is the stream the radio through nexus TuneIn while having the mcintosh set to connect to the FSL21

Cheers mate, just what I wanted to hear.

In my case, that set up is simple. Remove Behringer, and replace with that unit. Existing USB-hub and RCA-FSL-21 connections are already in place.

Thanks for the help (and for others who'll benefit going forward).

Question to the mods...Is there any way to "sticky" this (or similar), so that people doing Nexus 7 installs in the future will get a handle on thr ight mix and match of products from the get go?

(And please don't suggest FB...that is NOT a Corporate Knowledge repository!)
TBSTI-Wagon

Car: 2008 Liberty Wagon GT Spec B TBSTI

Postby BMCracer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Late to the party as usual, but anyway..... Got a Nexus 7 2013, rooted it, and a bloke at work put on Timors' ROM cos I'm a tech retard. The Nexus has Android 6.0.1. Also got a Behringer UCA202 ( which now looks like it'll only work in mono? ), a 12vdc 15wdc/dc convertor ( output 5vdc / 3A ) ( is this going to do the job? ), and a OTG Y cable.

I don't want anything mega flash or complicated. All I want it to be able t to do is get google maps, run BtSsm / Tactrix, run a reversing camera, and maybe play music through the cars' stereo ( 2007 3.0 Spec B standard factory Macintosh, the black one with dual a/c ) ( I currently plug my iPod into the aux-in 3.5mm jack cord ). It would be super cool if it could somehow have a speaker / mic for my phone, but that's a pipe dream for me.

I've been reading lots, and Boyceware on Legacygt.com put up a parts list ( from thread https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... 56557.html ) Now I'll write questions in red

1x OTG Cable ($8.47)
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Female-...iglink20901-20
Notes: Don’t try and save $5 by buying the $3 cable that has a micro USB end for the charger. I’ve tried similar cables and they do not allow the tablet to fast charge.

2x USB Extension Cables ($6.99 x 2 = $13.98)
Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019DZG9DY
Notes: You will need to buy 2 of these Why do I need these? and why 2?

USB Car Charger ($7.49)
Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P060MRK

USB DAC ($6.90)
Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MSS6CS
Notes: This devices keeps you from running an analog audio cable from the tablet back to your AUX port in your arm rest. Also has a mic port if you would like to use voice controls. This is only used if you are using factory AUX or an aftermarket AUX adapter. My car has the factory aux-in cable 3.5mm jack which comes out in the centre armrest storage by the cigarette outlet. It was in the car when I bought it. I plug my iPod into it, put the stereo to Aux, and it plays my iPod music. Is this what he means when he says the usb dac is only used if you are using the factory aux ? So I need a USB dac?

Optional:
Powered USB Hub ($9.99 + $7.99 = $17.98)
USB Hub Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHIVYZ8
Micro USB Cable Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UFG5GVM
Notes: Needed if you will be using multiple USB devices (USB DAC, USB Drive, Tactrix, etc..) I want to run a reversing camera ( Factory one ), and BtSsm / Tactrix, so I'm going to need the USB Hub. Why do I need the Micro usb cable? The USB hub looks like it has normal size USB plugs on it?

The FSL21 - is that a Subaru part or aftermarket? I googled that number and saw lots of pics of a little box with a Subaru sticker on it, so if that is the case do I already have it as standard??

My head nearly explodes every time I try to work all this out, and I'm nearly at the point of sending someone what I've got, and some cash to get it all to work so I can just install in in the car.

Also, after the bloke at work put on Timor's ROM, should it work straight away or do you need to adjust heaps of settings? Cos I put it on the OTG cable and fed that from a 12vdc power supply at work on the bench. when I turned the power supply off, the Nexus turns off / goes to sleep / whatever. When I turn the power supply back on, the Nexus doesn't come back on, I had to press the power button to get it to light up. That's obviously no good when the power button will be inaccessible once installed in the dash.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated, and if you're around Auckland now, or Perth about January 2019 onwards ( I'm moving back to Perth late this year and taking the car with me ) and feel like some extra coin, let me know. Cheers.
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Postby Flat6Estate » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:03 pm

FSL21 is a discontinued part. It plugs into the CD stacker port on the back of the Headunit to allow audio in
I scored mine when a member was parting out their car.
You may be able to get one through Yahoo auctions Japan. But you could also just use a Grom unit. I'm sure these do the same thing.
This will leave the AUX port available if someone wants to plug their own device into the car and not need to swap cables and upset the nexus setup
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Previous

Return to Audio options