Aftermarket headunit installation guide

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Aftermarket headunit installation guide

Postby aag321 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 pm

It would appear so! Cable and the colors were exactly the same.

A bit more modification was required to fit the new deck. I'll be doing a write up soon when its 100% up and running. I have everything working now bar the actual reversing camera, I think its not getting power at this stage.

This page was pretty useful for pin out so far. This combined with some service manuals i was able to figure most of it out.

http://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-radio- ... nector.htm

Thanks again for your write up!
aag321

Car: Gen 5 GT Premium

Postby Tresidder17 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Ah nice, i'll be interested to read your write up.

As for the reverse camera, I wouldn't have much knowledge as I still haven't installed one for myself. Definitely include it in your write up when you get it sorted out.
Tresidder17

Car: MY07 3.0 Spec.B 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35209

Postby zoliberty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:23 pm

I picked up a Kenwood 8018s, I seem to have one blue wire with a yellow stripe labelled Steering Wheel Remote Input, not sure on what other wire I need to use that comes out of the HU as they're not labelled. If I was to use the 3.5mm option, which 2 wires do I use as I doubt that not all plugs have the same colour wires. Also, instead of looking around the steering column, isn't it possible to just connect to a plug behind the HU? I've had a look as this https://www.kenwood.com/au/car/visual_navigation/oem/ , the 20 pin is for 09 plus models? So I need the 8 pin plug?
zoliberty

Car: Liberty MY07 Spec.B 3l

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 am

I was reading on an 86/brz forum where the smaller plug pinout matched a section of the larger socket and was simply inserted in the correct spot. In this thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122854

Otherwise, a quick site specific search with keywords should get your result:
https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=32 ... 07MNWGGbfw

bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Tresidder17 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Sorry, its been a while since i checked the forum.

Scotti, I dont have any experience with gen 5s but just about any headunit will turn on if you give it power, accessory power and an earth so you should be fine as long as you can safely deliver the right amount of power.

Zoliberty, you don't want the one blue wire with the yellow stripe, its no good to us here. Only focus on the wires with the 3.5mm jack. Doesn't matter what colours the wires on the jack are, just get the one that is the earth and the other that is "input 1", it will be labelled in your headunit's manual and there should be a sticker on the wires too.
You must go behind the steering column to find the wires. Like I explained in my original post, the signal from the steering wheel controls passes through a LAN module which converts the signal to a digital signal that is unreadable by an aftermarket HU, the purpose of going to the steering column is to intercept the signal wires before they get to the LAN module so we can use them.
If you really wanted you could buy a plug to adapt to the factory harness but you would really only get power and earth out of the plug. All audio goes through the din cable that you have to cut up and the steering wheel controls will still need to be wired from the HU so you might as well save yourself a few dollars from buying the plug and just solder a few more wires.
Tresidder17

Postby jarrenowen » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Tresidder17 wrote:Zoliberty, you don't want the one blue wire with the yellow stripe, its no good to us here. Only focus on the wires with the 3.5mm jack. Doesn't matter what colours the wires on the jack are, just get the one that is the earth and the other that is "input 1", it will be labelled in your headunit's manual and there should be a sticker on the wires too.
You must go behind the steering column to find the wires. Like I explained in my original post, the signal from the steering wheel controls passes through a LAN module which converts the signal to a digital signal that is unreadable by an aftermarket HU, the purpose of going to the steering column is to intercept the signal wires before they get to the LAN module so we can use them.
If you really wanted you could buy a plug to adapt to the factory harness but you would really only get power and earth out of the plug. All audio goes through the din cable that you have to cut up and the steering wheel controls will still need to be wired from the HU so you might as well save yourself a few dollars from buying the plug and just solder a few more wires.

done a few installs where you can pull the wiring for SWC from the black plug, rather than up from the steering wheel. :)
jarrenowen

Car: 2007 Liberty Gt Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31061

Postby Tresidder17 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:51 pm

jarrenowen wrote:done a few installs where you can pull the wiring for SWC from the black plug, rather than up from the steering wheel. :)

On this model of liberty? how did you do it?
Tresidder17

Postby JosephSeed » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:04 pm

I own a '07 Liberty and decided I want to change the default head unit to a better one.
After doing research for a few days I've decided I want to buy the Kenwood DDX9703S, because it has the best rating out of all Kenwood head units and it has all the features I want.
Only negative I could find is that there is always a legal notice when I start the car (and the head unit) according to this site https://greatestspeakers.com/kenwood-ddx9703s-review/ .
I'm kind of newbie in this (never changed head units). Do you guys think your tutorial is enough to get it installed?
I guess everything should be the same, because you installed a Kenwood Double DIN too.

Thanks
JosephSeed

Car: Ford Mustang

Postby Tresidder17 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Replacing the McIntosh headunits is the hardest headunit to replace that I have come across, however, all of the difficulty was in researching what to do which i have done for you. The actual installation is just soldering wires like any other installation. Note that the wires to the amp are quite small and i would not recommend starting with them if you have never done any soldering before. If you have any technical or electronic skills at all just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems. I also try to check the forum occasionally and you can find me on the facebook group if you need advice but you are still doing this at your own risk.

As for the legal notice on the headunit, it seems specific for that headunit and is not something i can solve for you. Do some research to see if it can be fixed or consider buying a different headunit.
Tresidder17

Postby Suba-roo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:38 pm

hey sorry to dig this up, within the month im about to do the same upgrade. im just curious to why everything with the Mcincrap Din cable is not available to view?
is it just to do with tinypic shutting down.

also, what double dins fit the fascia nicely that are new >.< im afraid to buy the wrong size :banned:
Suba-roo

Car: Subaru Liberty 08

Postby Tresidder17 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:40 pm

It's okay to dig this post up, I'm glad people still use it

Thanks for the heads up about the pictures. I wasn't aware tinypic had shutdown, I'll reupload them to another site as soon as possible. Some pics are still available as the forum let me post 10 pics without needing a 3rd party site I believe

As for the double din headunit fitment. Double din is a standard size and they should all fit exactly the same, except maybe some dodgy cheap ebay models. I have noticed that Kenwood has been making headunits that are slightly wider (e.g. the DMX719WBT) than a standard double din and they will not fit, however, if you want one of those wider headunits, they have a standard size copy (e.g. the DMX7019BT). Just watch out for that but you should be fine. You can just look at a photo of them and clearly see the difference in shape.
Tresidder17

Postby dogsfoot » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 am

hows the new images going. will be needing your awsome guide again soon....
dogsfoot

Car: my06 3.0r-b wagon

Postby Tresidder17 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Hey the new images should be fixed now. Sorry for the wait, I've been pretty busy with uni the last few weeks.
Tresidder17

Postby Suba-roo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Great guide! 10 OUT of 10 stars!

I started the work just before you re-uploaded the photos and I spliced on my RCA plugs to the DIN cable after the plug like an idiot. haha could of saved some length if I just cut it straight from the McIntosh HU.

I also installed a reversing camera aswell, but I couldn't find the cable behind the HU so I just spliced into the reversing globe and ran a cable from there to the HU.

first time doing any work in cars and I mixed up the 12v ignition with the 12v accessory so I drained my battery straight away, that'll teach me to drink on the job. Hahaha
Suba-roo

Car: Subaru Liberty 08

Postby Tresidder17 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Glad you liked the guide mate. At least you got it working in the end haha

As for the reverse camera, I haven't looked to see if there is a "correct" power wire to use but splicing into the reverse globes is pretty standard practice, I think, so it should be perfectly fine.

Enjoy your headunit :D
Tresidder17

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options